Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'For whom the bell tolls-

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you've been putting in a lot of miles - if all else fails you can always take up ultras ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Its been a while:o Took along time for the achilles issue to heal. Only got back to regular training a few weeks ago. Only started back with the intention of keeping fit and trying to lose the weight I'd packed on after months of inactivity. After a couple of weeks of easy running I was out on a Saturday morning with the intention of running up to Marley and home - about six miles, but decided to increase the run as I was feeling good, ended up running all the way up to the Hellfire club - a run of 13miles. Was delighted as there was no soreness in the achilles the next morning. The following week I managed to run the full hill through Masseys wood - a very steep section which I'd never managed before. It was going so well with some very promising training sessions I decided to enter a 5k in Marley run this morning, knowing it would be a low key event. But a couple of weeks ago I picked up a chest infection which kept me out for a week, and then stupidly tried to 'catchup' on training- always a mistake. So this morning was really just a fitness test. Started from the front a lead the race for about 20metres:pac:. Finished in 14th place in 20:17 - my slowest 5k ever but very happy with the run. I've renewed my BHAA membership and hope to get a couple of track races over the summer. My main aim is the XC season, so it'll be a case of clocking up the miles over the summer. I know my achilles will never be 100% but hopefully with a bit of care I'll be able to manage it.
    Its good to be back:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

That's a super time for somebody back from injury and illness. Not too shabby at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I thought I saw you out there (I was sitting in a car, waiting for dotcomdolly), great to see you back.

Mon 21st May
    5.69mls in 47:50. Avg. 8:25

Tues 22nd May
    5.91mls in 47:48. Avg. 8:06

Wed 23rd May
    6mls in 47:39. Avg. 7:56

No reaction with the achilles after Sundays race - wahoo:pac:, but the quads have been sore as expected but felt good running for the last three days. Since been injured I've found my cadence has changed. My stride length seems to have decreased and a minute count this evening was 170, an increase of about 15 per minute. This seems to have the affect of my pace quicker without any extra effort.

• Advertisement

7th July 2012
    Clontarf 5 mile - 33:47
    6:35, 6:41, 6:47, 6:52, 6:52.
    I'd entered this race a while ago but with only four weeks training after an injury layoff I reckoned sub 34 would be OK. When I got out this morning I began to get more excited for a faster time, point to point with a stiff breeze behind. Watched the half go out and back during a warmup.
    Started well and was near the front - cruised through the first mile, second slower along the beach. The only flaw with this race was the bottle-neck going across the wooden bridge with the slower half marathoners on a narrow path. Ran on the road against the cars, I'm sure the drivers were cursing me:( Tried maintain my pace over the second half and had a ding-dong battle with another 5 mile runner. He pulled away with half a mile to go and got 20m on me. I closed the gap and with 100m to go I unleashed my kick and got in just in front. Surprised the sprint was still there - maybe you never lose it;)
    I don't think it was a high quality field so may have a top 20 finish.
    Not overly happy - a bit meh, but four weeks jogging was never going to have me race fit.
    Next race is the 10k in DunLaoghaire. Hope the achilles holds up so I can get another few weeks training.
    Results - 2nd VET, 12th overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Good to see you back racing, hows the achilies these days?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Good to see you back racing, hows the achilies these days?
    Someday my foots going to fall off:pac:. It'll never be 100% again, its more to do with managing it with heal drops etc, but its always a nagging pain in the background. Sore first thing in the morning and for the first few steps on a run. This problem with the achilles does'nt heal, but I hope to get another year or two from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

yep i know that feelinglong.

Advertisement