Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing fishermen

Options
  • 01-04-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Just heard on R.T.E news 3 life boats and helicopter involved in search off Skerries for missing fishermen.

Our thoughts are with them and their families on this night..

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I know the guy's well, please God they will be found safe and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

For this type of situation is there a coastal search by the public organised?

I remember about 15 years ago being asked by Gardái would I be interested in helping on land with coastal search. Never heard any more.

Please god they will be found safe

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Here's hoping they are found safe and well.

Thoughts to their friends and families, they must be worried sick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

fergal.b wrote: »

Me too. Whats the weather / sea conditions out that way tonight?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Strong winds today but the sea was not that big.

• Advertisement

There was some strong gusts this evening when I was out. The sea looked a little choppy but not as much as yesterday.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/sea-area.asp

Man, i hope we hear something good soon

If anyone hears of a search in the morning will they please post or let me know who to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I was out all evening and just returned now. A few cars and taxi's parked up at the car park around Lady's Steps and guys with large flash lights looking down onto the beach. Garda helicopter also hovering for last 20 mins around Skerries harbour/Mourne View direction, along the beach. Using their large floodlights in the search. Like everyone else's thoughts here, hopefully they will be found safe + well.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Sparkles78

If anyone hears of a search in the morning will they please post or let me know who to contact.

Hi, not sure if there is any organised search but i know there are a lot of people getting up early in the morning to start looking again. My other half is on his way home now he's been walking along the beach from skerries to balbriggan.

Thoughts & prayers are with the 2 lads families, hope to God they're found safe......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fergal - Just head to the harbour. I'm sure that there will be a coordinator around the lifeboat station.

Just to add that my thoughts and prayers are with the lads and their families (one of them I've been friends with for many years).

I'm stuck in Switz this weekend feeling pretty useless, so if you are reading this and have the time - head down and see if there is anything you can do to help.

Thanks,

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Someone said on the skerries facebook page that they'd been found, but the SAR helicopter is still out so I don't know if that's true.

http://www.facebook.com/Skerries

I don't think so unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

:(

Thought it weird that someone would say that if it weren't true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The girl who said it looks about 12, maybe she overheard her parents or someone talking and misheard or picked up the information wrong.

Latest news is that the boat has been found upturned near Clogherhead. Divers are on their way to the area. 28 civilian boats also assisting in the search.

http://irishsar.blogspot.com/

Search & Rescue website. Divers at Clogherhead now

Didnt realise I knew of the lads fairly well and the other chap just to see.
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    Fergal - Just head to the harbour. I'm sure that there will be a coordinator around the lifeboat station.

There were people out all along the coast from Loughshinny with binoculars this morning and a lot of people gathered along Red Island and out the Balbriggan Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Oh how awful :( Don't hear of this in Dublin as much as other parts. Thoughts are with them and their families :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Out around the pier in Skerries last night (by coincidence). Couldn't believe the number of people out there, helping and just being there until late in the night in the wind and cold. Think there's even more today.

Rescue services are fantastic - I hope they find them soon.

The missing fishermen have been confirmed as Ronan Browne (25) & David Gilsenan (41). Both well known & liked locals.

Ronan is the son of friends of mine & I went to school with David. My thoughts are with them & their families.

Long day searching today with about half of skerries, huge effort from the RNLI and the COAST GUARD they are truly indispensable.
    Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

it is very easy for us to forget we are an island nation, especially land lovers like me. but the support and help of the RNLI is an invaluable service to Ireland, and all crew are voluntary and unpaid. These guys and girls provide an amazing service, with no government assistance, totally funded by donations. The RNLI is a charity often forgotten about, but one that is totally invaluable to the island of Ireland.

I really hope the two lads are found soon, and that all crew members come home safe and sound also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

God help them, here's hoping they're safe and just haven't been found yet. Their poor families must be sick with worry.

@Little Ted - Great post.

@All - Pop a few bob into the next RNLI charity box you see. They are a selfless and brave crew of volunteer guys and girls, and from what I'm hearing from back home today they're really giving it their all and deserve our support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

I am actually crying reading this thread - a mix of sadness for those lost and utmost admiration for those out looking.

My heart goes out to the families, I can only guess what they are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Not to give up hope.Some years ago, my brother and a neighbour went missing at sea.It was a long night while everyone searched for them.After hours they when found, alive, cold and hungrey.The engine on the boat failed, they had no life jackets or flare guns and it was way before the days of mobile phones.We all lernt a lesson that day.Dont give up hoping.
    Cathy

• Advertisement

Lots of people working hard again today searching for Ronan & David. SAR chopper from Wexford joined today.

Fair play to Skerries RNLI & Coast Guard crews, the Gardai & everyone else involved in the search.

Stay positive.

Advertisement