Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing fishermen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

My thoughts are with their families at this devastating time. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must be for them.

The local volunteers have been amazing, I know some of the guys that fished with them have been out day and night searching constantly. They were out in jet skis first thing this morning searching areas the boats couldn't access.
    Also the RNLI/Coastguard/Gardai working so hard.

They're giving a westerly wind tonight/tomorrow, I hope it doesn't hamper the search efforts.

I have family that work on the trawlers, your heart always stops when you hear of a boat in trouble in case it might be them. Their families are going through hell at the moment, I pray that they're found soon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Any updates?

My father and myself spent yesterday working up and back from balbriggan to gormanston but to no avail...

this is tragic but im back in work and cant help out....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fair dues to you & your father.

There's no news I'm afraid. The Navy are due to join the search today according to the Irish Times.

This is also taking place on Wednesday if anyone is interested.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Thanks,

My cousin was supposed to be out with them but he got delayed and never made it... he's lucky in that he's still with us but unlucky as he's lost two good friends... Hes been out in a boat looking for them ever since. families are devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Did my eyes deceive me or did I see a RAF Nimrod aircraft join the search too?

It was on a news bulletin yesterday around lunchtime.

Really hope that the lads are found soon as the families need closure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Crossing The Bar (sailor, seaman fisherman)

Poems for a seaman, sailor, fisherman,
    Poems : The sandbar (a ridge of sand built up by currents along a shore) is used as a metaphor to describe the barrier between life and death.

Poems : Crossing The Bar

Sunset and evening star
    And one clear call for me!
    And may there be no moaning of the bar,
    When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
    Too full for sound and foam,
    When that which drew from out the boundless deep
    Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
    And after that the dark!
    And may there be no sadness of farewell,
    When I embark;

For though from out our bourne of Time and Place
    The flood may bear me far,
    I hope to see my Pilot face to face
    When I have crossed the bar.

Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809-1892)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Really hope that the lads are found soon as the families need closure.

Air Corps Marine Surveillance aircraft.

The account details for the fund for fuel for the volunteers is Bank of Ireland Skerries, the name is Lady Linda, the sort code is 90 08 93, the number is 818 38 744

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

If you were watching the RTE TV at lunchtime then that was the Irish Air Corps CASA/IPTN CN-235 that they use for maritime survelliance.
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4828421309_78f08d4336.jpg

The UK only have two Nimrods left in service and one is in Cyprus in support of the Libyan no fly zone. They scrapped the half built new replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

iamjenko wrote: »
    The account details for the fund for fuel for the volunteers is Bank of Ireland Skerries, the name is Lady Linda, the sort code is 90 08 93, the number is 818 38 744

just to point out folks, that this is a fund specifically for volunteers who are using their own boats.
    It is not the RNLI Skerries at all (just some confusion on this from what I have heard people saying). The RNLI are not running out of fuel, so no need to worry on that score, but the fund is to help those who are voluntarily going out in their own vessels.

If you want to donate to the RNLI you can do so by visiting their website www.rnli.ie, donating via Mycharity.ie, or if you want your money to go specifically to the Skerries lifeboat, then you can contact the RNLI main office by phone.

I am sure there will also be some collection made for the families also, so plenty of options to help out and all of them will be gratefully received and put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Navy divers are now being called in to help the search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Sparkles78

Little Ted wrote: »
    just to point out folks, that this is a fund specifically for volunteers who are using their own boats.
    It is not the RNLI Skerries at all (just some confusion on this from what I have heard people saying). The RNLI are not running out of fuel, so no need to worry on that score, but the fund is to help those who are voluntarily going out in their own vessels.

If you want to donate to the RNLI you can do so by visiting their website www.rnli.ie, donating via Mycharity.ie, or if you want your money to go specifically to the Skerries lifeboat, then you can contact the RNLI main office by phone.

I am sure there will also be some collection made for the families also, so plenty of options to help out and all of them will be gratefully received and put to good use.

yes some people seem to be getting confused from what Ive seen on facebook.

Also don't forget as mentioned by HillBilly in a previous post there is a walk taking place on Wednesday, this is for the RNLI.

Taken from the Skerries facebook page:

SKERRIES ... LET'S COME TOGETHER FOR THE RNLI. "A Walk of Solidarity" will start at the Bandstand, Red Island this Wednesday 6th at 7pm, to walk a 5km lap of Skerries. Funds are badly needed at this time. Bring €10 or whatever you can afford. Spread the word on your own FB pages too if you can please.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Great idea for the walk. Perhaps it can be also spread through group texts we migh use and added to any emails we send.

Very important if we can also support the fishermen who are running up big fuel costs. It must be awful for them at this time.

It was heartwarming driving back from Balbriggan this morning around 7.15-30 to see the amount of people out walking the rocks and combing the shoreline. And later to see people out between Loughshinny and Rush around the Drummanagh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is a coffee Day in OLLIES PLACE tomorrow from 12 to fund-raise for the trawlers and other boats that are helping out. Any donation is welcome for a cup of coffee.
    I will be heading out from skerries lifeboat house at 8am if anyone wants to come along, wear good hiking boots as the rocks are not kind to ankles. Here is a photo from today "rainbow of hope"

DSC00965.jpg

Am flying back on Thursday night now. I'm really hoping that the searches will be done by then. If not & you want to join me Friday morning drop me a PM.

Post deleted. Corsendonk - do not post in this thread again.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hawk-eye46

Born and Bred in Loughshinny, grew up with Ronán, I pray to god that both him and David are found. I too also have family that fish the trawlers, your heart is always in your mouth when you hear of fishermen in trouble. I think the Skerries RNLI, Coast guard,The RNLI, Sea Area Rescue, the local communities of Loughshinny, Skerries, Rush, Balbriggan and surrounding areas are absolutely incredible. No where else in the world would you see the support that the world has seen from the Communites that are looking for David and Ronán. Keep up the good work and I pray the boys will be found for their family and friends sake. The next time you see an little RNLI lifeboat collection box, slip a few quid in for the teams who risk life and limb to keep the fishermen and pleasure craft safe on the water, who are on call 24/7 - 365 days a year and they are all volunteers. Will keep praying for Ronán and David to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Sparkles78

Hawk-eye46 wrote: »
    I think the Skerries RNLI, Coast guard,The RNLI, Sea Area Rescue, the local communities of Loughshinny, Skerries, Rush, Balbriggan and surrounding areas are absolutely incredible. No where else in the world would you see the support that the world has seen from the Communites that are looking for David and Ronán. Keep up the good work and I pray the boys will be found for their family and friends sake.

Also to thank the oil companies donating oil to the local fishermen, Butterly's, Rush, McLoughlins, Balbriggan and Campus Oil, Dunleer. Hope its ok to mention them? If not please feel free to delete mods.

I seen the Navy ship out this morning too, I pray to God these boys are found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

The Irish Naval Service vessel the LE Emer has been appointed on-scene co-ordinator in the search - information from @defenceforces on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You always hear about missing people at sea and the search for them but it's always just a passing thought. This morning while waiting for the train in Balbriggan the SAR helicoper came up the coast slowly from Skerries heading up towards Drogheda, clearly searching the shoreline for bodies. The reality of the situation hit home to me then seeing the chopper pass by.

It must feel like a hopeless task trying to find a needle in a haystack. The rescuers involved do an amazing job. I can only hope that they are found safe and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

just to state again, the RNLI, Coastguard and other rescue services are all well equiped and have plenty of fuel to conduct the search. there is no suggestion that any of these are running out of fuel.
    The fuel fund is purely for the private individuals who are giving their time on their personal boats to assist the search.
    I know they will welcome any help, but if you want to give money to the RNLI in general you should contact them directly or take part in the walk of solidarity which is in aid of the RNLI.

sorry to state it again, but there is still a lot of confusion, and I heard myself this morning a lady saying how terrible it is that the RNLI and Coastguard are running out of fuel - this is not the case. The search will continue, and the rescue services will give it their all to find these two men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Anyone know if there's an organised search involving volunteers? I've a couple of days off work and would like to help in any way I can, no matter how small....

Hi vektarman. Just head to the harbour. There will be coordinators in the vicinity of the lifeboat station who can advise you on what needs doing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have 6 friends "all RNLI" with two ribs coming up on friday to lend a hand, they are looking for secure overnight parking and somewhere to stay if anyone can help in any way that would be great. THANKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

fergal.b wrote: »
    I have 6 friends "all RNLI" with two ribs coming up on friday to lend a hand, they are looking for secure overnight parking and somewhere to stay if anyone can help in any way that would be great. THANKS

Travel lodge in Swords is only €50 a night per room. They can sleep 3 people per room. They can park in my esate down the road if they like but sure there's parking in the hotel.

Went to Skerries today and still great effort being put in.

2 events upcoming.
    Fuel fund for Trawlermen/fishing men.
    Anne McLoone is having a fundraiser day at her house
    Hand Pk
    Rush tomorrow Wednesday 3pm tp 9pm.
    (light refreshments will be served)
    This is a very generous effort from Anne so if you cant make Skerries drop Ann in a few €uro. Annes house is past the Harbour in Rush and turn onto Tower St. The house is at the top end of Tower St just after a row of 4 houses (The Cove) right on the corner.

Rush N.S
    Non uniform day on Thursday
    Each child pays €1 not to wear their uniform but If you know a child going to Rush N.S you can also sponsor them NOT to wear their uniform on Thursday. A good idea for the children to feel involved.

Some of the rescue craft being used. Photos from last few days

LE Emer
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5592737796_228fedb9aa.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Skerries Lifeboat
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5592142183_4799740833.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Irish Coastguard SAR Helicopter
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5592735604_9018c997c7.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

vektarman wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's an organised search involving volunteers? I've a couple of days off work and would like to help in any way I can, no matter how small....

If you're going out searching I'd recommend the following

Boots as you'll be going over rocks at times.
    Gloves, these will protect your hands if you're searching through barnacle covered rocks.
    Hi Vis jacket is a good idea and helps people to co-ordinate the lines and Differentiate who's searching or who's just out for a walk.
    A lifejacket is recommended if you can get one just incase you end up slipping into the sea.

Most searches are organised for low water as this time has the highest chance of finding anything. Please don't go out onto rocks searching by yourself and don't take any risks. The searches are generally organised at the RNLI station or at the Coast Guard control truck at the Harbour. They'll be able to advise you as to what areas have been searched already and where needs to be done again.

If you're going out searching I'd recommend the following

Boots as you'll be going over rocks at times.
    Gloves, these will protect your hands if you're searching through barnacle covered rocks.
    Hi Vis jacket is a good idea and helps people to co-ordinate the lines and Differentiate who's searching or who's just out for a walk.
    A lifejacket is recommended if you can get one just incase you end up slipping into the sea.

Most searches are organised for low water as this time has the highest chance of finding anything. Please don't go out onto rocks searching by yourself and don't take any risks. The searches are generally organised at the RNLI station or at the Coast Guard control truck at the Harbour. They'll be able to advise you as to what areas have been searched already and where needs to be done again.

+1 Great to meet up with you guy's today. You are doing an amazing job and it's very much appreciated. It's only when you walk in these's guy's shoes that you understand what they go through.
    THANKS AGAIN

I have just been on to Carroll's pierhouse in skerries and they are going to put up the lads free of charge.
    Fair play to Carroll's Pierhouse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I can organise secure parking in Loughshinney if you need it PM me .

Advertisement