Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers -dual carriageway-Letterkenny

Options
  • 01-04-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I know this is going on in every town in Ireland but when o when is there anything going to be done about it?

Most nights on the dual carriage way there are races going on and there seems to be nothing done about it.

Last night it started about 8.30 and was still going on at 4am!!
    They were setting off in 2's from Ray roundabout and heading into Letterkenny. I fear some innocent person is going to die if this is allowed to continue.

I know of two local pensioners who have to put up with these ejits and when they rang the gards they were told if they could get the number plates then they would come out.

In my mind they should cut the road safety budget and put the extra money into buying a few extra cop cars or at least make the cops actually use the resources they have.
    Meanwhile as I write now the racing has started and the first time I will see a guard is at their weekly Sunday morning checkpoint at Ray roundabout when all the yobs are in bed.
    I rang the Guards to ask about the Sunday morning checkpoint where there are 3 Guards out most weeks and they said it was to catch drunk drivers which is fair enough but what about the lunatics racing every night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Its interesting if the guards are turning a blind eye to racing on the dual carridge way if they clamp down on that road they will go to another road which would be a lot more dangerous im not saying leave them to it but it could be a view taken by the guards because in fairness to the guards there is a major clampdown by the traffic corp on the whole county!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would suggest you write a letter in the first instance to the superintendent in Letterkenny outlining your concerns and perhaps even attach a little petition signed by the residents of that area.

If you didnt feel comfortable with writing directly to the super then you should write to all the TD's and ask them to look into the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair there has been a major increase in the number of Garda speed camera vans that I have seen out and about.

Over the last month or two they have been quite prominent, although perhaps I would agree slightly with some of the comments recently on local radio that they are sitting in places where they will catch people just above the speed limit, hence reinforcing the idea they are a money spinning device.

Perhaps they need to go to the places where it seems every Tom Dick and Harry knows that there will be dangerous driving and clamp down on that, instead of looking to catch people doing 55 in a 50 zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I rang the Guards to ask about the Sunday morning checkpoint where there are 3 Guards out most weeks and they said it was to catch drunk drivers which is fair enough but what about the lunatics racing every night
    This is the point that bugs me, a person that works all week and might go out for a few on Saturday night is the target on Sunday morning perhaps on their way to mass? It's cheep shot and totally unfair but "shooting fish in a barrel" seems to be the system that is used to raise handy revenue IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Carrickman wrote: »
    This is the point that bugs me, a person that works all week and might go out for a few on Saturday night is the target on Sunday morning perhaps on their way to mass? It's cheep shot and totally unfair but "shooting fish in a barrel" seems to be the system that is used to raise handy revenue IMO.

A bit silly that, so ya reckon its ok to get drunk on a saturday night and the guards shouldn't be doing checkpoints on a sunday morning for people over the limit because they are going to mass? The way i see it, its still illegal and shouldn't be done! They have done a lot more checkpoints at all times of day and night recently, they aint trying to catch anyone in particular just catching people breaking the law which is a good thing!

Back to topic, i seen these people racing a few times myself on the duel carrigeway, what they seem to do is scout the road first then have somone stay at the end of the road on "lookout". Ive had the displeasure of being passed by "racers" on t#he duel carrigeway, one passed in fast lane the other on hard shoulder and i was doing just over 100kph at the time. I went into the petrol station behind the guy passed on the inside phoned the guards, with numberplate sat for 5 mins patrol car came in slowed down pointed at the car then drove on.... whats the point! If you keep nagging them phone every single time you hear them they will get the hint and something should be done about it eventually, they shouldn't be getting away with it though, and it should just be a matter of phoning them.

Or just say you've a bat in your hand and are going to do something about it they will come running out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

cosanostra wrote: »

Yes they are about seen one yesterday sitting down from McDaids garage i only seen it after i passed the lorry trailer it was hidding behind :mad:so got done for speeding while going to tax office not mad at getting done for speeding .But i thought they have to be visible at all times .on topic. the garda wont come out unless the person that reports it will testify to what was going on thats my thoughts on it might be wrong doe :D

As I mentioned, I have seen speed vans quite often around the R238.

Various points I have seen it in the last few weeks:

Muff to Quigleys Point road (most common place)
    Quigleys Point to Glentogher road
    On couple bends on Glentogher itself.
    On road from Carn to Clonmany
    Between Carn and Ballyliffen

I am not a fast driver, but they have now made me really watch my speed, so I guess they are working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I've seen 2 different speed camera vans on the road so far. The most common ones are totally unmarked what I think are LDV vans, one red and one blue. There is also a blue van which has a few stickers of cameras on it. On friday at Mc Daids in Letterkenny they actually swapped what van was there, went past first time it was the red one and a few hours later the blue one was there!

The 2 empty houses just on the bend outside Newton seem to be favourite places in the morning around 7.30 am time.

.17hmr wrote: »
    so got done for speeding while going to tax office
    I believe you :D

• Advertisement

I have seen a white van and a blue van doing these checks.

Saw a very suss looking red one today at the side of the road with a weird looking back window, so this may have been another. But not sure.

Have any figures been released regarding people being caught or money being brought in since they were rolled out last year? Id assume they are profitable and not just there to "help make the roads safer".......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

How about a simple wireless HD webcam stuck to a tree in the trouble area to get Licence plate numbers?

Easy enough and easy enough to follow up on if need be.

Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

kleefarr wrote: »
    How about a simple wireless HD webcam stuck to a tree in the trouble area to get Licence plate numbers?

Easy enough and easy enough to follow up on if need be.

Just a thought.

Yeah record it all on camera and put it up on youtube and send the link to local press...that will get the guards off their asses!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

the guards are a joke. county and country wide.
    they have no interest in picking up people breaking the law, only people who are breaking the law where its easier for the guards to catch them, and therefore hit their quotas.

and i was doing just over 100kph at the time. !

Ha I hope you gave your own plate no. too

There seems to be an idealology that if you break the law a wee bit you should get off scot free but if its by a lot (or by a young person) the person should get the death penelty im just trying to be the devils advocat here and there is a judgemental aproach to all young drivers. i know statistics say young people are more likely to die on the road but there is plenty of cases of death by older people look at the death of the 5 young people at quigleys point that was caused by an older drunk driver but is still taken as a statistic of a death by a young driver.

im not trying to say that young people are great drivers but i think all drivers should be treated equally and that not the case just now there is a lot of predudice when it comes to young drivers

There seems to be an idealology that if you break the law a wee bit you should get off scot free but if its by a lot (or by a young person) the person should get the death penelty im just trying to be the devils advocat here and there is a judgemental aproach to all young drivers. i know statistics say young people are more likely to die on the road but there is plenty of cases of death by older people look at the death of the 5 young people at quigleys point that was caused by an older drunk driver but is still taken as a statistic of a death by a young driver.

im not trying to say that young people are great drivers but i think all drivers should be treated equally and that not the case just now there is a lot of predudice when it comes to young drivers

Do you think that this is part of the reason for the recent change regards to insurance policies of men and women?

well i think its a good move and i dont think advertisment campaigns for road safety should be aimed at young drivers i think every driver should be targeted equally every driver is responsible for his/her own actions every driver should be responsible its that simple

I do think the Garda turn a blind eye to people speeding on the dual carridge ways tho if they target the roads "suitable" for speed, people will speed on roads less suitable its the lesser evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

160kmph tonight coming home, on a motorway so 40km over the limit, at 5am, on a motorway with no other cars around, not the worst thing in the world,

doing 50-60 in a built up area with a school or something near by now thats madeness

• Advertisement

Jagle wrote: »
    160kmph tonight coming home, on a motorway so 40km over the limit, at 5am, on a motorway with no other cars around, not the worst thing in the world,
    Because it was 5 in the morning and no traffic around shouldn't be an excuse to justify excessive speed. Admittedly the less traffic there is on the road the less likely you are to have an accident.

However, if one of your tryes blows out or a wild deer crosses the road or you meet Jimmy McDaid for example your speed will be a major factor and would determine the extent of injuries or even death should there be an accident.

doing 50-60 in a built up area with a school or something near by now thats madeness
    Couldn't agree more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

muffler wrote: »
    Because it was 5 in the morning and no traffic around shouldn't be an excuse to justify excessive speed. Admittedly the less traffic there is on the road the less likely you are to have an accident.

However, if one of your tryes blows out or a wild deer crosses the road or you meet Jimmy McDaid for example your speed will be a major factor and would determine the extent of injuries or even death should there be an accident.

Couldn't agree more

i knew full well that if i was to hit anything at that speed im a goner, risk i took myself but my point was that some speeding isnt as bad as the other

Agree to some degree.

There was a SF councillor on Highland (I think) a few weeks back complaining about these speed camera's and the fact that they appeared to be sitting on spots designed to catch people speeding. In fact he had got 2pts on his license himself!

Now, is this double standards and hypocrisy of the highest order. Afaik it was exactly the same guy who was on TV after those 8 poor youngsters died in that horrific accident, saying about how these accidents and driving can wreck lives. But yet he complains cos he was caught speeding?

:rolleyes:

NIMAN this thread is not for debating an individual so please stay on topic.

ok sorry:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 me85

Hi, had to reply to this mainly cause I get scared every time I drive, by some moron flying past me and cutting me off. Something I think needs to be pointed out is that the attitude of these 'racers' is what causes death on our roads. Ignorance, arrogance, over-confidence and sheer selfishness towards other road users is what causes people to speed, pass out in dangerous places etc. This racing is ABSURD and must be STOPPED. Their licences need to be taken away immediately. How dare they think they can treat a public road like that. They do not own it. They have no respect for others and some of them will more than likely end up killing themselves or some poor innocent who dares to drive sensibly. STRICT rules need to be enforced. Caught driving dangerously= bye bye licence. I am fed up of being bullied (when Im going the max speed limit) because rude and reckless people think they own the road. This racing is a prime example of the poisonous attitude in this county. Until its stopped we will continue to see death after death. And it is not just young people. Quite a few middle aged gentlemen in BMWs and Audis think they are also above the law. Sorry this turned into a rant, but it makes me furious.

i knew full well that if i was to hit anything at that speed im a goner, risk i took myself but my point was that some speeding isnt as bad as the other

Just wondering Jagle, what if you swerved to avoid something at that speed, ended up crossing the middle barrier and ploughed into a family, say on the way home from the airport, perhaps killing innocent sleeping children. This could happen in SECONDS. One second- no cars around. Next second-swerve, lose control, cross barrier, where did that car come from?, then CARNAGE. Would your speed still be ok then? Also curious and u dont have to answer. Have you ever arrived at the scene of a serious accident, because I have and will NEVER forget it. Have never broken speed limit since, nor will I ever again, will drive at what feels to be a safe controllable (in so far as a car is controllable) speed. Dont mean to have a go at you but just wondering how u justify excessive speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 caprirs3100

inode wrote: »
    Yeah record it all on camera and put it up on youtube and send the link to local press...that will get the guards off their asses!
    In relation tothe racing on the dual carrigway, should you ring the Shaun Doherty show on Highland radio and highlight the problem.If you get twoor three of your neighbours on with you you will find the station will contact the Garda station to get a response. I live not far away from Lurgybrack Hill and at the same time of night you can hear any supped up civic or twin cam roaring up that hill even when my three children are in bed. Dont get me wrong I love cars buit there is a time and a place for this kind of driving.I would reccomend they get involved with the local motor club and channel their energy in that way.
    You may also remember an incident on the Barnesmore Gap road of a Motor Boker doing outragous speeeds.This was brought to light by you tube. Maybe this is the way to go. Record someof the racing and publish it on youtube.It will definately get attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 caprirs3100

Jagle this is dangerous, you can be quite sure that if you keep this up your luick is going to run out. An annimal such as acow, sheep or deer could wanter accross the road. Debri fromatipper truck could have fallen on to the road oramechanical fault or blowout on your car would cause you to swerve and put you and the life of your passengers at risk. Do you ever think of your family or indeed other road users families when you attemp this.You may drive a powerful car but it is not infallable. For god sake think of yourself and other road users whenyou get behind the wheel...:(

• Advertisement

well i think its a good move and i dont think advertisment campaigns for road safety should be aimed at young drivers i think every driver should be targeted equally every driver is responsible for his/her own actions every driver should be responsible its that simple

I do think the Garda turn a blind eye to people speeding on the dual carridge ways tho if they target the roads "suitable" for speed, people will speed on roads less suitable its the lesser evil

I kinda see where you're comin from, but a part of me is screaming: Lesser evil, wtf. I think that we shouldnt accept a lesser evil situation. Everyone should be able to feel safe driving their car and not feel that some lunatic could be comin at them round next bend. There has been too much leniency for too long, no more please. I have a scary experience inflicted on me by a moron every time I drive any distance in this county and that is UNACCEPTABLE. I dont pay road tax because i want to play chicken or automobile russian roulette. It's time sensible careful drivers were prioritised and protected. Plus people who speed excessively and drive dangerously on big roads, WILL do it on smaller roads aswell. Their attitude doesnt change from road to road. Just sometimes it catches up with them and God forbid some other poor soul, on the small road. Guards should be in plain cars and then they'd really see some abhorrent disregard for human life on our roads. Sorry, this is something I feel really strongly about. You seem to have right attitude just dont give in to the band wagon of leniency. We need people to stand up against this crap.

Advertisement