Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers -dual carriageway-Letterkenny

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Its not long since you could go months without seeing a guard now your lucky if you go a week without being stopped so i think they are going in the right direction all they need to do is be visable and people will know that they will get caught i dont think unmarket cars are the right think thats only to catch people they are better making sure people know that they will be on the roads and people wont risk speeding/drink driving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

FFS have this idiotic boy racers learnt nothing from those awful accidents last year!!!! There has to be something done at the driving test stage, they should see bodies of people who have been mangled in car accidents, and meet bereaved families.

This is a topic that just makes my blood boil, how bloody cool will they look wrapped around a fecking lamp post or a tree.

I don't know what the answer is, but something radical needs to be done... pity they all couldn't get a good solid kick in the arse!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I've seen these guys and I don't buy the 'they watch out for cars on the road' line one little bit.
    I drove past them just off the manor roundabout and I was only just round the corner when I heard them and pulled into the hard shoulder and let them past.
    I dont think they even cared where I was on the road.

cosanostra wrote: »
    Its not long since you could go months without seeing a guard now your lucky if you go a week without being stopped so i think they are going in the right direction all they need to do is be visable and people will know that they will get caught i dont think unmarket cars are the right think thats only to catch people they are better making sure people know that they will be on the roads and people wont risk speeding/drink driving
    I've been driving about 50/60 miles a day for the past 4 months and I've never been stopped. I've only seen 1 checkpoint and that was on Paddys day.
    I haven't seen the gosafe van that much either. And its always been in the same area when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

So the guards don't do anything about racers on the duel carriage way; no one here seems to dis-believe the the OP - no cracking down on speeding there...
    I drove from Letterkenny to Mountcharles last Sunday and passed 3 speed vans on the road, to combat excessive speeding; yeah right, no one tell me it's not a tax collecting exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Are those vans there 24 hrs a day?
    Bet they aren't there at night when the real racing goes on. But I would like to be corrected if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

kleefarr wrote: »
    Are those vans there 24 hrs a day?
    Bet they aren't there at night when the real racing goes on. But I would like to be corrected if I'm wrong.
    They're ment to be but it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't.

It could just be...
    kleefarr wrote: »
    Bet they aren't there at night when the real arson goes on.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair there has been a major increase in the number of Garda speed camera vans that I have seen out and about.

Over the last month or two they have been quite prominent
    If by prominent you mean hidden in behind a lorry trailer at the top of Lurgy Brack. They're absolute sneaks and the whole speed camera thing is just a money making racket. They were parked outside Ballyraine school one Saturday recently too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Don't be fooled into thinking that the racers don't know exactly where the guards are. They all have mobile phones and they know the make model colour and reg of every unmarked car the gardai in an area use. Roads are scouted in advance. However clever the guards get these guys will be one step ahead.
    Think of them like a bank robber. The road = the bank and the car = a gun. Everyone needs a bank so you can't close them down. You can't have a squad car at every bank. Logically the only option is to take away the gun or make sure it's only a harmless water pistol. First offence... Take the dam car. If the car loss risk is there it will think twice. Again that is if they can catch them in the act. Let's face it they don't care about themselves or others just the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

irish1967 wrote: »
    They all have mobile phones and they know the make model colour and reg of every unmarked car the gardai in an area use.

You mean ford mondeo d reg with 2 Ariels on the roof.

Am i not right in thinking that its the gardas role to prevent crime not catch people once a crimes been commited thats why i think use of sneaky tactics is wrong way to stop speeding if they really wanted nobody speeding on the duel carridgeway they could put up fixed speed cameras taking average speed but then nobody would speed and there would be no fines issued!

People will justify getting caught speeding if the gaurds were hiding in a bush at the time if the get caught by a big white van thats clearly visable they will say jeez i was a stupid idiot i wont be doing that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

cosanostra wrote: »
    they will say jeez i was a stupid idiot i wont be doing that again!
    Speeding or getting caught?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

People will justify getting caught speeding if the gaurds were hiding in a bush at the time if the get caught by a big white van thats clearly visable

.I have yet to see one of the camera vans that was not hidden yet, and i could be all over the county in any given day.

If by prominent you mean hidden in behind a lorry trailer at the top of Lurgy Brack .:( yes i seen this one too late my self he got a nice pic off me id say .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its simple folk.

Drive at the speed limit and you won't have to worry whether the vans are hidden or not.

Its not rocket science.

Its simple folk.

Drive at the speed limit and you won't have to worry whether the vans are hidden or not.

Its not rocket science.

Never would have figured that out...

It must be great to live in your world....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I reckon the best solution to this kind of behaviour is to hit them where it hurts - their car.

We need to increase the type of penalties being dealt out to 'boy racers'. They should simply be charged with dangerous driving and be banned until they're about 30. That would give them something to think about.

The other option would be rather than fines / jail, simply crush their car and ban them from driving for X years and give them a community service order that requires them to do some kind of road-safety project e.g. perhaps cleaning up after car crashes or perhaps a few days looking after someone with severe spinal injuries.

That would have far more of a psychological impact than jail/fines would ever have.

To gather evidence, all the Gardai would need to do is install a few cameras up high on lamposts where people are known to turn doughnuts or do other crazy stunts. It's not that difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I know this is going on in every town in Ireland but when o when is there anything going to be done about it?

Most nights on the dual carriage way there are races going on and there seems to be nothing done about it.

Last night it started about 8.30 and was still going on at 4am!!
    They were setting off in 2's from Ray roundabout and heading into Letterkenny. I fear some innocent person is going to die if this is allowed to continue.

I know of two local pensioners who have to put up with these ejits and when they rang the gards they were told if they could get the number plates then they would come out.

In my mind they should cut the road safety budget and put the extra money into buying a few extra cop cars or at least make the cops actually use the resources they have.
    Meanwhile as I write now the racing has started and the first time I will see a guard is at their weekly Sunday morning checkpoint at Ray roundabout when all the yobs are in bed.
    I rang the Guards to ask about the Sunday morning checkpoint where there are 3 Guards out most weeks and they said it was to catch drunk drivers which is fair enough but what about the lunatics racing every night

That road would be perfect for Specs cameras. A set between each of the three roundabouts there

Firblog wrote: »

Infraction given.

Just be careful with your comments please.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah I'm pretty happy in it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Solair wrote: »
    I reckon the best solution to this kind of behaviour is to hit them where it hurts - their car

Don't know.......I think if you hit them in the face that might hurt too.........or possible the g**lies.:D

Yeah I'm pretty happy in it.;)

Well again just like to thank you for coming on here an pointing out where the rest of us were going wrong with this whole speeding thing, sorry that we seem so thick that we couldn't figure out the whole staying under the limit ploy...

kinda ranks up there with 'don't eat the yellow snow'

Note: not attacking the poster, or anyone who thanked him for stating the bleeding obvious

Well again just like to thank you for coming on here an pointing out where the rest of us were going wrong with this whole speeding thing, sorry that we seem so thick that we couldn't figure out the whole staying under the limit ploy...

kinda ranks up there with 'don't eat the yellow snow'

Note: not attacking the poster, or anyone who thanked him for stating the bleeding obvious
    Im taking a very dim view of this constant off topic posting and not addressing the matter at hand.

Firblog you were advised privately as to what was acceptable but you didnt take the advice. 5 day ban applied.

On a general note to everyone posting here please stay on topic and dont post silly things and we will all get along just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Jagle this is dangerous, you can be quite sure that if you keep this up your luick is going to run out. An annimal such as acow, sheep or deer could wanter accross the road. Debri fromatipper truck could have fallen on to the road oramechanical fault or blowout on your car would cause you to swerve and put you and the life of your passengers at risk. Do you ever think of your family or indeed other road users families when you attemp this.You may drive a powerful car but it is not infallable. For god sake think of yourself and other road users whenyou get behind the wheel...:(

You could easily be killed if this happened and you weren't speeding ...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Yes... but the higher the speed, the more likely you are to be badly injured or killed in the event of an accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Satanta wrote: »
    Yes... but the higher the speed, the more likely you are to be badly injured or killed in the event of an accident

^^^^^
    Folks please stay on topic, no more or infractions will have to be handed out! 2 warnings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The biggest problem that the guards have in these matters is that the people who report the racing will not make statements and are not willing to go to court in order to give evidence about what they seen. In order for the guards to prosecute them they have to actually witness the racing/driving. Most peoples attitude is why should they do the work for the guards, which is ridiculous... if theyre that bothered by it then they should make statements and be prepared to go to court and say what they seen, if they dont want to do that then giving out about it on the internet is pointless and serves no purpose.

As someone else said, these people have scouts at each end of the dual carriageway, if the guards appear from the letterkenny direction then a phone call stops the racing and everyone drives normally back to town again. My home place is beside the dual carriageway, cars pass by less than 20meters from my front door, this racing is not a new phenomena, it has been going on since the dual carriageway opened in 1989. The guards are well aware of it and have sucessfully prosecuted people for it in the past, but if they dont get more help from the public then its going to continue.

I don't see how anyone testifying that they saw someone speeding on the dual carraige way would be of benefit in any prosecution; surely the first question asked would be 'and how fast were they going?' followed by 'and how did you measure their speed?'...
    Unless they are legally recorded breaking the speed limit I don't think they can be be found guilty of speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been posted already, but how about slapping one of the mobile speed cameras on the dual carriageway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I haven't read the whole thread either.. you would think that putting a camera on the dual carriageway would make sense alright, but I think the mobile speed traps are going on volume of fines, rather than catching on or two boy racers... there was one parked half way up Lurgi Brack hill today to catch the traffic coming up the hill in the fast lane

*in other words, the speed traps are not their for our safety and well being

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I haven't read the whole thread either.. you would think that putting a camera on the dual carriageway would make sense alright, but I think the mobile speed traps are going on volume of fines, rather than catching on or two boy racers... there was one parked half way up Lurgi Brack hill today to catch the traffic coming up the hill in the fast lane

*in other words, the speed traps are not their for our safety and well being

Totally disagree with you there NWA, There have been lots of fatal accidents on Lurgy brack. If it was a fine gathering scheme then surely they would be on the duel carrige-way all the time!

What part of the duel carrige-way do the boy racers use, the whole thing, derry direction / letterkenny direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Totally disagree with you there NWA, There have been lots of fatal accidents on Lurgy brack. If it was a fine gathering scheme then surely they would be on the duel carrige-way all the time!

+1

I'm tired of people going on about this as a money-making racket.

The GoSafe vans are the FIRST time that mobile camera vans are not about revenue gathering, and yet people are torching them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

ok, no problem

Advertisement