Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Regional Hospital carpark. I am Fuming!

• 01-04-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

My daughter was admitted last night

Today I bought a multi trip ticket at the shop. The 6 euro one for 2 days. I came home, had a shower and used the ticket again to get back in. Then I left himself come back home so he used the ticket to get out. When he came back though he forgot himself and pressed for another ticket to get in. He knew as soon as he did it that he should have put the other card in but the barrier wouldnt go down and there were cars behind him and barrier was beeping so he drove in.

He told me this when he came in and I said I'm sure it'll be ok to still use the 6 euro one. When I went to come home this evening at 8.45pm to get some sleep i put the ticket in and it wouldnt open the barrier. I thought maybe if i went to the inward one and put it in it would register and then i could get out the otehr side if that makes sense. It wouldnt take the card so I rang the "Help" button (irony personified is that:rolleyes:). A security man came on and i explained what happened and could he lift barrier or let me out. He said that I'd have to go get a "lost ticket" and pay the 4 euro to get out.

Grand you'd think only I had no money on me at all. Had went to the shop at 7pm in the hospital to get daughter few things and the machine next to reception was out of service (cue the tears from the little madam because I couldnt get her anything really I had 2 euro in my purse). He said and I quote "so? there's a bank machine over in Ardkeen stores". So I said "are you telling me that I have to walk to Ardkeenb stores in the dark, get money, come back, walk to the station, get a ticket and then come back to the car" to which his reply was "well it's not my problem love is it?" in the most rudest tone I've ever heard..eh the button says help your supposed to help me!! and even if you can't there's no need to be so rude. If he had said look if I could help I would but I'm sorry I cant i would have been ok but no he was just down right rude and a right arse about it.

I parked the car the and started crying walking up to the hospital again due to stress i suppose and lack of sleep. I just wanted to get home. I said I'd chance if the nurses could help or know who head of scurity was and could he help me. I went back to paeds and a lovely nurse rang down and he was just as rude to her she couldnt believe it. They point blank refused to even listen and were talking over her saying "tell her it's not our problem she'll have to go to the bank machine" . We explained again bank machine was broken etc but got us no where. She said look will you just leave the woman home she's here since yesterady practically she's wrecked and she needs to get out and he said no and that was it.

I had no choice but to walk in the rain to the bank machine get the money and come back. I was crying tears of rage and frustration at this stage. There were 4 of them in the security at the front and I wasn't giong up to them all weeping and bawling they are so intimidating and the guy we spoke to (could have beeb 2 different guys) was so rude. I eventually got out at 21.46 on the ticket.

What I want to know is, can they manually lift the barrier. I remember quiet clearly one time when my ticket bent all arse ways and wouldnt go into machine i rang the buzzer and they lifted it for me.

They are saying they can't but I don't believe them. If the barriers broke does that mean that everyones cars would be locked in the car park?? When I spoke to the nurse a paeds doctor was there and she said they refused to let her IN once when she forgot her swipe card even though she explained there was no doctor and she needed to get in saying it wasn't there problem "love".

I am sitting here absolutley fuming. Who is head of security out there does anyone know?? And if they couldnt lift it fair enough but no need for the appalling attitude that they had. They were in no way nice or tried to help me in anyway. I can't even go asleep now even though I'm wrecked because I am so so angry:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Shocking treatment.

I'd have lifted it manually. If it broke, hard luck to them.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

My wife had a similar expierence with that shower of tossers .They are the most ignorant people to grace this earth.I guess they are paid peanuts and work long hours so this make them bitter.My wife rang the hospital and made a complaint,and they said they would talk to the ape who was nasty and rude to her,but clearly nothing was done as the same thing seems to be happining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I didnt ask the name of who i spoke to but when the nurse was on the phone she asked for a name but he just talked over her..i'm not letting this one drop it's terrible they can treat people this way

oh left a bit out, he said to me sure if that was the case (going on about the ticket) people could buy one ticket and let loads of cars in and out on it. that my 6 euro one was now invalid even though it's a 2 day one and i only used it to get in once and out twice! so now i've to buy another one tomorrow! I mean if i was trying to pull a fast one i'd hardly go back up to paeds and ask the nurse to ring down for me:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

I can sympatise with you as it really upset my wife a few weeks ago.Nobody should be allowed to work in a hospital with attitude like this.People have enough stress with a family member in hospital without the likes of these people treating them so badly.Suggles ring the hospital and complain.Maybe somebody should get get on to Billy McCarthy,about time something was done about these Ba****ds.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

I did'nt even know about the €6 ticket for 2 days , and ended up spending neary € 40 in 3 days , buying tickets every time I went in and out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

It is a ridiculous system; they try to stop mutliple users of the same card by making sure you can enter only if you have previously exited and vice versa. This allows no flexibilty at all and in this case surely those in charge could have showed some compassion. They are making huge profits on parking and I usually park in Lidl if at all possible so that they get less of my dough.

Billy McCarthy wouldnt do anything, terrified he'd upset people in WRH:rolleyes: Joe Duffy would be the man but he wouldnt care. I've found the link to the place that is on the carpark machines

http://www.electroautomation.com/aboutus_locations.html

I'm going to ring them and ask can the barriers me manually lifted by the staff at WRH and then ill contact the hospital when i know for sure. There's no point complaining though unless you are maknig hte complaint to the right person and i don't know who that is, thats where i'm stuck:(

I did'nt even know about the €6 ticket for 2 days , and ended up spending neary € 40 in 3 days , buying tickets every time I went in and out

you can buy them in the shop there's a notice on the pay machine. it's 6 euro for 2 days, 15 euro for 5 days and 25 euro for 15 days. be tempted to park at Lidl tomorrow will sicken me going out in the morning. that'll be 14 euro in 2 days.

snuggles09 wrote: »
    Billy McCarthy wouldnt do anything, terrified he'd upset people in WRH:rolleyes: Joe Duffy would be the man but he wouldnt care. I've found the link to the place that is on the carpark machines

I'm going to ring them and ask can the barriers me manually lifted by the staff at WRH and then ill contact the hospital when i know for sure. There's no point complaining though unless you are maknig hte complaint to the right person and i don't know who that is, thats where i'm stuck:(

I know that it is a woman who is in charge of security/parking. The office is just inside the main entrance (on the left) b4 the ATM.

• Advertisement

I'll have to go in when I'm more composed. daughter is priority at the moment. if i had gone anywhere near anyone tonight i would have cried in their face with the anger. ill have to wait until i calm down or ill end up ranting and look like a right eejit:D

I'll have to go in when I'm more composed. daughter is priority at the moment. if i had gone anywhere near anyone tonight i would have cried in their face with the anger. ill have to wait until i calm down or ill end up ranting and look like a right eejit:D

Probably won't be anyone around til Mon alas just the security guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Id would be raging snuggles. If anyone from the Munster/News and star is reading this I'd love for them to run something on it.

Now, I'd say from my experiences in A&E on a weekend night that those security guys put up crazy **** but it def doesn't give them any right to treat everyone like the scum they get in then. Sounds like someone on a power trip to me.

My advice call or write anyone high up In the hospital you can get a name for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This happened to my other half the night our baby was born. He came back up to me and I had no cash so a lady on the ward gave him €6 (I think it was).

We had 2 multi trips tickets but like that he pressed the button on the way in... must be a way around it?

thanks everyone for the replies. off to bed now for some sleep as i'm running on empty at the moment (hence the weeping :D)

if anyone else has had a bad experience with them i'd love to hear about it as i will be taking this further. night all and thanks again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You should write to Patricia Sullivan, Manager, Waterford Regional Hospital, Dunmore Rd., Waterford setting out as you have here, and copy your missive to Sean Swift, Chairperson, Peoples Forum at the same address. What you have described is nothing short of disgraceful. Some of these security guys would make car clampers look like angels. I made my first visit to Waterford Regional last week, and I must say the staff were the nicest you could find, and were most helpful.But then the security boyos are working for a private firm...........
    Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

you can buy them in the shop there's a notice on the pay machine. it's 6 euro for 2 days, 15 euro for 5 days and 25 euro for 15 days. be tempted to park at Lidl tomorrow will sicken me going out in the morning. that'll be 14 euro in 2 days.

Loads of people parking Ardkeen stores and in Tesco up near the Petrol station and in the front row in Viewmount... couldn't blame them.

Lidl might be partolled, not sure. Tesco isn't and it takes 8 mins exactly to walk down!

I always left the car in work when I went in for Natal visits, could not afford the €4 a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Friend of mine had similar problem to you a few weeks ago. After getting nowhere with the security crowd he went to the IN barrier, got a ticket, went straight to the pay machine, validated ticket as first 15 mins is free and went on his merry way. Not the most honest thing to do but got him out a jam.

He had already paid his ticket but when he got to the car he had a flat and by the time he changed tyres his original ticket wasn't valid. Security crowd was no help so thats why he went that way about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

could you have drove over the kerb snuggles so as to advoid the barrier,,and is this a middle aged ape were talking about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Ya got stuck there cashless once, could only wait for someone else to leave and follow in convoy b4 the barrier came down got out easily stays up for round 5 secs

No use botherin the staff there they don't have anytin ta do with the operating of the car parks, after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Sorry you had to go through that Snuggles, thats awful, their security sound a right pack of scum. Hope you get your answer from them.
    I never understood why you have to pay for parking in there, last year my Dad was going in after he fractured his thumb, so i was driving him in, so i drove him up to the main door and then i drove up to Tesco or Lidl carpark to wait for him, i wasnt paying for parking in WRH!!
    Hope your daughter is ok too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any carpark iv been in they can be lifted manually from the office. They certinally can be left manually that's for sure but wouldn't say 100% security can lift it. Would have always assumed they could considering the likes of City Square can on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Sully wrote: »
    Any carpark iv been in they can be lifted manually from the office. They certinally can be left manually that's for sure but wouldn't say 100% security can lift it. Would have always assumed they could considering the likes of City Square can on a regular basis.

Unless they were too lazy to go out in the rain to lift it manually for the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

When I worked in Ardkeen years ago, the lads in security were able to lift the barriers from the office. I can't imagine they got a whole new barrier system in but I reckon they all work on the same principle that they can be lifted from the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The main problem is these companies rely on every single cent ~ IMO they should all be just banned, they are 'commercial' operation but again IMO they are just thugs, they are the same nationwide, I can assure you.

Next time just drive your ... better not finish that statement, but you'll tie them up in court for weeks or months and I've judges are sympathetic to stories like your against thugs like that.

It's that simple IMO, these guys are out of hand on a massive scale and your incident is not unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

thanks everyone for the replies. off to bed now for some sleep as i'm running on empty at the moment (hence the weeping :D)

if anyone else has had a bad experience with them i'd love to hear about it as i will be taking this further. night all and thanks again:)

If you park in lidl there is a good chance you'll be clamped. Try maypark lane or tesco as someone already said. As far as I know they can lift the barriers from the office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Why not just park on that bIg estate across the road. The name escapes me but it's a massive one. It'd be allot nearer then tesco.

just on my way out there now. I'll park in Viewmount and walk across the road:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Sorry to hear what happened but don't think all the security people are bad out there. My dad was in for a while over new year and mum was out visiting every night. Each evening a security guard offered to walk her to her car and they also helped defrost the windows for her. They seemed to go out of the way to help. Pity you seemed to end up dealing with some assholes. Hope your daughter is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

The barriers can be lifted from the office.
    I'm a courier and they done it for me before when i got held up in there one day. It took an argument for them to do it, but in the end they done it alright.
    There is one guy who patrols the front of the main door, i'm guessing this is the same fella you dealt with, and he is the biggest pr#ck i've ever come across.
    Ive had many a run in with him before. He is always on a power trip. I'd hate to see him if he was a cop :eek:
    I seen him arguing with a mini bus driver the other day. The driver was dropping off a load of elderly people to the hospital and he pulled up just at the front of the hospital so the old folks wouldn't have to walk far. The security guy came over and started shouting at the driver that he couldn't park there. Like come on, a bit of common sence is needed in these situations.
    Regarding the parking, i always park either in Viewmount or on Nursery Lane (but you have to drive down maypark and around the back of the hospital to get there) when i am visiting anyone in there.
    I would never pay to park in there.
    Robbing f######rs:mad:

Advertisement