Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Regional Hospital carpark. I am Fuming!

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 joeblob

Hi,
    Had a similar experience recently and went straight to the manager <snip>. I very quickly got the impression that she wasn't very comfortable in her position as manager (more cases similar to ours i guess getting on top of her maybe) so i asked her what experience she had being in a managerial position. Her response was "I'm not working here that long". Judging by her and her colleagues attitudes i don't think they will be working in wrh for much longer either. I have never met such ignorant people in my life. Shame on the admins of wrh for allowing these insensitive and incompetent people work on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

joeblob wrote: »
    Hi,
    Had a similar experience recently and went straight to the manager <snip>. I very quickly got the impression that she wasn't very comfortable in her position as manager (more cases similar to ours i guess getting on top of her maybe) so i asked her what experience she had being in a managerial position. Her response was "I'm not working here that long". Judging by her and her colleagues attitudes i don't think they will be working in wrh for much longer either. I have never met such ignorant people in my life. Shame on the admins of wrh for allowing these insensitive and incompetent people work on their site.

What they have there now is cheap as chips security services, if you remember, back in 2006, the HSE had the original security service removed from the hospital to hire the present crowd,displacement its called, their was a picket on the gate, if you remember. Wage rates etc were wiped back down to the bottom of the barrel so now they cant get anyone with any common sense and civility to do the job.So they have got what they paid for. Regarding the security manager, it was always ex gardai that were in charge of the security dept so i would say thats a contributing factor to the mickey mouse set up there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DRUMorDIE

Well theres no excuse for pig ignorant staff but a bit of warning in future. Save yourself the money and park the car in front of Glambia or Ardkeen Stores. Will save the money and any incidents with ignorant staff or crumpled tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Have to agree with ye all, the manager <snip> is not able to do her job. She should be removed ASAP!!! She is arragant as are some of the rest fo the security guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Do not name names on this thread. If there are posts who identify a particular person, please report them. I have edited a few comments here. Do not re-edit them. I have edited them for a reason, and do not appreciate having to waste more of my time doing it over again.

• Advertisement

Takola,Please take a look post #64 on page 5 of this thread. As i said earlier i am not the first to name names on this thread. Anyway, what exactly is your problem with this?
    This is the second time you have edited my post today. The reason i registered to this forum was to highlight not only the ongoing parking fiasco at wrh but also the people who are responsible and in my opinion contributing to the problem but you are acting like there this is some kind of courtroom drama by surpressing and controlling what people say. You are as ignorant as the security company in wrh. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Takola,Please take a look post #64 on page 5 of this thread. As i said earlier i am not the first to name names on this thread. Anyway, what exactly is your problem with this?
    This is the second time you have edited my post today. The reason i registered to this forum was to highlight not only the ongoing parking fiasco at wrh but also the people who are responsible and in my opinion contributing to the problem but you are acting like there this is some kind of courtroom drama by surpressing and controlling what people say. You are as ignorant as the security company in wrh. Shame on you.

I have edited post 64 also, to remove the names. Naming individual people is not allowed on the forum, because if something untrue is posted, boards.ie could be sued for it. The most effective way for us (the mods) to protect against that (not just boards.ie but the posters too) is to not allow naming people at all.

We have had problems in the forum recently, regarding this. It's a headache for users and mods both.

I am not trying to be controlling and it's certainly not my intention to appear ignorant, so I apologize if I did. I'm here to ensure the rules are followed though.

You're new to boards so I suggest you read the forum charter. Generally, if a moderator edits a post and you have a problem with it, you should PM them, not re-edit your comment. Also, please PM me if you have any further questions. We don't want to drag the thread any further off topic.

Forget it. I won't be on here again. I'll take my gripe to someone who might want to hear about accountabillity. I DO NOT for one second believe that anyone posting on here with a grievance against this so called security/debt collection company is being untruthful,so i doubt you'll be receiving any solicitors letters just yet. To all parkers at wrh,i wish ye the best of luck and hope you all have an illness and injury free life to avoid the stress of dealing with these jokers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Forget it. I won't be on here again. I'll take my gripe to someone who might want to hear about accountabillity. I DO NOT for one second believe that anyone posting on here with a grievance against this so called security/debt collection company is being untruthful,so i doubt you'll be receiving any solicitors letters just yet. To all parkers at wrh,i wish ye the best of luck and hope you all have an illness and injury free life to avoid the stress of dealing with these jokers.

Mod Note

Its called taking precautions, forgive us for not putting you first. Ranting on an internet forum was never going to get you anywhere.

So please, take it to someone who can make a difference and leave the moderation and how this site is run, to the mods. If you want to engage further on this, do send myself or takola a PM. But from this point onwards, please stop and direct any queries on moderation to PM.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Hon ya Boya, you told them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

I know its going against the grain here but in fairness the facts are that the security guards have nothing to answer for. There is a prodedure for dealing with a lost or non functioning ticket scenario - that was to pay €4 for a new ticket.

I assume they are instructed to not manually lift the barrier because if they did and it fell and hit you or someone else or your car, they could end up being liable for any injuries or damage. They don't want that kind of liability of having a big claim on their hands.

Honestly, its not their fault if the ATM is out of order nor is it their fault you have no change on you. It also isn't their fault that your husband screwed up the tickets so blaming them for doing their job is rediculous. They were rude and unhelpful yes, but there is no law against being rude so you would have no claim there i'm afraid. People just need to be more orgainised, stress or not.

sure, its rude to say "not my problem", but IMO it wasn't their problem. They just did their job and told you what was required to exit and if a person han't handle that, well i'm afraid it is their own problem to sort out.

Whats the point asking the nurses, sure they are nothing at all to do with the car park.

Also i dont think that they would be keen on opening the barriers for free for anyone who came with a sob story, sure then you could get people parking their all day and then the come out and press the button and say "Oh i lost my ticket....again" and be let out for free. That sort of thing would be taken advantage of en-mass so they use the €4 fee to deter it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Totally agree with master and commander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

thomasm wrote: »
    Sorry to hear what happened but don't think all the security people are bad out there. My dad was in for a while over new year and mum was out visiting every night. Each evening a security guard offered to walk her to her car and they also helped defrost the windows for her. They seemed to go out of the way to help. Pity you seemed to end up dealing with some assholes. Hope your daughter is ok

That was my opinion a while ago, it has changed unfortunately

Had recent run in with these guys, while taking my 3 year home child after a bout of pnuemonia there was an issue with the ticket. Ticket was valid and paid for but would not work in the exit barrier. Got on the intercom to ask if they could manually raise barrier and was told to head back up to office. Told them I had a sick child in car I was taking home after bout of pnuemonia and did not want to have to bring him back out in the rain and asked the guard to give me a break and not make me carry him back up as I was not leaving him in the car. Told bluntly barrier would not be lifted and to go to office or hit the lost ticket option on the machine and buy another one. Ended up having to take 3 year old out of car and go up to machine to get new ticket as it was the fastest and best option for my son. Then as I was leaving the car park the barrier would not go up again and I pressed the intercom button and got no reply for about 1 minute. Pressed again and the barrier opened with no communication from the security guard. Asked repeatedly for the guards name that was on previously and was told they did not know !!! Child was getting upset at me getting angry at this point so I drove home. Letter sent....

at the end of they day, it is your responsibility to maintain your ticket in good condition by not wrinkling it or corrupting the magnetic strip. Its not their fault you were negligent at minding it.
    They can't just go around letting every one off for free who happens to come along with some sad sob story, if they did, they'd be out of business. Also if anything happened and your car was damaged on the way out they could be liable for compensation, which their insurance would not cover as they broke protocol to let someone off. There are procedures in place to deter people from claiming "lost ticket" to get out free and that is to charge them a fee.

Nothing can be achieved by writing a letter, as they followed the rules of their job and told you how it was by the book. Rude? yes but there is no law against rudeness, especially in the parking industry. It is a hospital but it is still a business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Unless you're in a situation like the above poster I don't think you can appreciate how frustrating it must be to deal with these kind of people. They seem to have no compassion or common sense. But, as master and commander says, it's not against the law to not have these qualities. But they should be a prerequisite for a job dealing with the public.

just becasue your having a bad day, doesn't mean the rules don't apply to you.
    As said, if the parking company left off everyone who pressed the button with a sad sob story, they'd be out of business.

in any case, they are most likely de-sensitized to the moods and sob stories of hospital goers because they are exposed to it every single day. It just has no effect on them becasue they have seen it all before.

A prerequisite for the job? the only prerequisite for being in security huts is to be: 1)big-n-burly, 2)ignorant and 3)thick.

at the end of they day, it is your responsibility to maintain your ticket in good condition by not wrinkling it or corrupting the magnetic strip. Its not their fault you were negligent at minding it.
    They can't just go around letting every one off for free who happens to come along with some sad sob story, if they did, they'd be out of business. Also if anything happened and your car was damaged on the way out they could be liable for compensation, which their insurance would not cover as they broke protocol to let someone off. There are procedures in place to deter people from claiming "lost ticket" to get out free and that is to charge them a fee.

Nothing can be achieved by writing a letter, as they followed the rules of their job and told you how it was by the book. Rude? yes but there is no law against rudeness, especially in the parking industry. It is a hospital but it is still a business.

Have to say you sound like you work for them .. do you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

just becasue your having a bad day, doesn't mean the rules don't apply to you.
    As said, if the parking company left off everyone who pressed the button with a sad sob story, they'd be out of business.

in any case, they are most likely de-sensitized to the moods and sob stories of hospital goers because they are exposed to it every single day. It just has no effect on them becasue they have seen it all before.

A prerequisite for the job? the only prerequisite for being in security huts is to be: 1)big-n-burly, 2)ignorant and 3)thick.

You kinda lost all credability with me with that last line there. I wouldn't be calling all security workers ingnorant and thick if they also have to be big-n-burly.

michellie wrote: »

i thought you completely agreed with me. now you changed you mind?

michellie wrote: »

i thought you completely agreed with me. now you changed you mind?

I did agree with you on the whole "its not the workers fault point", but now I just find you rude after that last post. My cousin works security in ardkeen and he is none of the 3 things you mention.

And I used to work there and found them all grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

How do you know that it was the poster's fault? How do you know that the reader at the barrier wasn't faulty? This is actually far more likely to be the case as the ticket was read correctly at the machine where the poster paid for the parking and, subsequently, a second ticket which, again, was read correctly at the pay station, didn't read at the barrier either.

Assuming I'm correct (just as you've done in all of your posts), then what do you think should happen in that instance? The fault is entirely on the parking company's side as their equipment is faulty. How should they deal with that situation? Surely they should apologise for the inconvenience caused and lift the barrier from their control room?

I agree that someone who claims they lost a ticket (whether the claim is true or false) can't be let out but, in instances like the above, they should conduct themselves better.

As an aside, four euro is some rip off for parking. I was there for 30 minutes earlier on visiting my nanny and had to pay €4. There should surely be hourly rates up to a maximum of €4. I think it's disgraceful charging people to park so that they can visit sick friends or relatives in the first place (seeing as we've all paid a lot of money in taxes etc over the years but the management of that money is for another thread) but, if they must charge, it should be more reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Master and Commander I take offence to your statement "moods and sob stories of hospital goers"

I didnt go into details but you have no idea what I or others are dealing with in their lives, they are attending the hospital for a good reason

I'm not revisiting this again I just wanted to make my point..I hope nothing serious ever happens to you or yours that you end up in such a situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Ticket worked a couple of hours previously on the way in and kept in wallet so not sure what more I could have done to keep it maintained in good working order. The fact that the new ticket I had to buy did not work either suggested a problem with the barrier and not the tickets so don't go saying I was negligent without all the facts.

Hope you don't end up in same situation some day. Your opinion might change

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

There is definitely something wrong with the barriers at the car park over by the prefab units at the Dunmore Road side of the hospital. My grandad and myself were going in last Friday. I had bought one of the multitrip tickets as we'll be in the hospital everyday for the next while. It had worked fine up to then. My grandad put it into the machine to enter the car park and the barrier went up but the card never came back out. He pressed the intercom button and was told someone would be down to try and sort it out. 15 mins later and still no sign of anyone coming to help. All of a sudden the ticket comes back out of the machine. It has worked fine since so clearly there isn't a problem with the ticket.

Advertisement