Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groomers

• 01-04-2011 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

My pup got groomed for the first time yesterday, he was totally shaven and is now really cold he looks like a totally different dog :( the stranges thing tho is the way he has been acting since he came home, much more timid and less lively!! today when I told him bold for eating one of my shoe he peed himself never has done this before!!! Worrying about him :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Eh?? Poor little guy, he's probably still in shock...

How did you come across your groomer? Have you used her before or was she recommended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

What kind of dog? Did you leave his/her first cut to long and did you use a reputable groomer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Were you able to see how he was treated? The poor baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 soph!

My dad had to drop and collect him so didn't meet the lady face to face she seemed really nice on the phone!! Our vet ( who is brill) recommend her to us. We know our vet very well as Elmo has had two operations with him!! I feel so bad he is just not himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭galwegians

sounds like he is afraid,
    best to do it yourself nexttime and allow plenty of time,
    and let him have the shoe it will probably give him some comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Dog type?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

I would be concerned by this. Our baby girl (she will be seven in June) has loved going to the groomers since she was a lil' one and we have never had her behave like this.
    I hope your little guy is back to his normal self soon, poor wee love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

soph! wrote: »
    My pup got groomed for the first time yesterday, he was totally shaven and is now really cold he looks like a totally different dog :( the stranges thing tho is the way he has been acting since he came home, much more timid and less lively!! today when I told him bold for eating one of my shoe he peed himself never has done this before!!! Worrying about him :(
    naybe the dog had a run in with another dog?anytime i groom a pup and its their first time i would usually do it over 3 sesions .sounds like it was all to much for the little guy. if u plan on having the dog groomed at a groomers then its best not to do it at home .next time u bring the dog ask your groomer can they just brush the dog out and maybe do some nails then ask the groomer to play with the pup for a couple of mins when they are finished.after 2/3 short visits the dog should settle.its most inportant that your groomer has a good relationship with your dog.
    ps. make sure they only charge you once even if it takes three goes to finish the dog.if not then c
    change your groomer:) good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

It's unlikely your pup was poorly treated. First-time grooms are very stressful, even if it's a young pup. A pup over 6 months is likely to find the experience a bit traumatic the first time, especially if their coat is long and/or matted. Also, beside the actual grooming itself, some dogs seem to feel a bit "naked" and vulnerable when their coat is shaved and this can appear as submissive behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Also, beside the actual grooming itself, some dogs seem to feel a bit "naked" and vulnerable when their coat is shaved and this can appear as submissive behaviour.

Agreed - my little one is never cut very very short, but the last time she was done they practically shaved her and she wasn't herself for ages. Very quiet and submissive and just wasn't her bubbly self. After a few days though she didn't seem as bad and as the coat started to grow again she got her confidence back. Our other dog generally gets cut quite short so she never reacts (other than maybe shivering if it's very cold).

• Advertisement
Advertisement