Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying local honey, naas area

Options
  • 01-04-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭

Living in naas ad on a quest to find local honey for hay fever. Anyone have ideas where I might get some? Are there an farms around that might keep bees? I'm sure farmers markets might be a possibility but not sure if it will be purely local.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think the market in the StoreHouse stocks honey from Dunlavin in Wicklow.

Swans on the Green used to stock it as well but not sure if they do no.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

The landlord has let a friend of his set up some hives on the land,i could put a word in as by the looks of it he is doing it for selling on @8 hives,i am between Milltown and Rathangan so it would definitely be local honey ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DaveL

Newbridge Silverware in Newbridge sell jars of local Honey. I think it's from Kilcullen (?). I bought a coupl eof jars & it's pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 savy2011

yea swans on the green do a good honey, i love their shop its all so fresh and good it might be little more expensive but worth it. ive heard that as well to take honey locally for hayfever hope it works for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Gregsor wrote: »
    The landlord has let a friend of his set up some hives on the land,i could put a word in as by the looks of it he is doing it for selling on @8 hives,i am between Milltown and Rathangan so it would definitely be local honey ;).

Hi Gregor, sorry to drag up an old thread, but I actually live in rathangan now and would like to find local honey to here. Does your friend still produce honey in milltown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

The shop beside Tesco in Maynooth (Mastersons fruit and veg) sells honey from Summerhill if that is any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

I need this info too, any info on the Naas Farmer Markets selling this shizzle?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Insecure Abnormality

Sunday Market up in the Naas racecourse seems to have a fairly regular amount for about 3.50 a jar. It's a little less than a pound in the jars but it always seems pretty good quality, I primarily use it for mead gives a much better result than store bought stuff and tastes a lot better to eat too.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

My husband kept bees for a few years til recently, and you'd be surprised at the amount of small-scale beekeepers around. I'd guess around 7-8 within a one-mile radius of where I live, for example.

You might be able to get a few names if you contact the local beekeepers association.
    There are two in Kildare, (scroll down a bit for Kildare):
    http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/federation/affassoctxt.html#leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Gloveworm wrote: »
    My husband kept bees for a few years til recently, and you'd be surprised at the amount of small-scale beekeepers around. I'd guess around 7-8 within a one-mile radius of where I live, for example.

You might be able to get a few names if you contact the local beekeepers association.
    There are two in Kildare, (scroll down a bit for Kildare):
    http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/federation/affassoctxt.html#leinster

Any advice for anyone thinking of starting up beekeeping ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

Nolans in kilcullen sell honey thats made in the newbridge area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

foodaholic wrote: »
    Any advice for anyone thinking of starting up beekeeping ?

Sorry, only seeing this now. I suppose to ring your local beekeeping association and see if they can put you in touch with someone in your area. Having a more experienced person show you the ropes is probably the best way to learn.

The association runs workshops and courses also, as far as I know. You can order a suit with built in veil on eBay. Maybe you could sources hives and equipment through the association. Don't forget the bees! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

The biggest issue for me would be finding somewhere to put the hive - I live in a housing estate and don't think the neighbours would be chuffed if I put them in my back garden !!

Advertisement