Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco in Ennis

• 01-04-2011 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

There's a lot of giving out about Tesco in the media at the moment, and I agree with it, insofar as their so-called price reductions. However on the plus side I have always found the staff in Ennis always friendly and helpful, bringing stuff back for cash or exchange was never a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Not supposed to be a problem to return or refund,it is their store policy...They can't be seen to break it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

There's a lot of giving out about Tesco in the media at the moment, and I agree with it, insofar as their so-called price reductions. However on the plus side I have always found the staff in Ennis always friendly and helpful, bringing stuff back for cash or exchange was never a problem.
    I agree with you. I grew up in Ennis and when I return on visits I pop into the Ennis store to do some shopping. I still meet some of the staff that were there when I used to shop there as a young child. Even the manager is there since the Quinnsworth days. Tesco's greatest asset in Ennis is definitely their staff, the store itself is very grubby and is in serious need of a facelift.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I agree with you. I grew up in Ennis and when I return on visits I pop into the Ennis store to do some shopping. I still meet some of the staff that were there when I used to shop there as a young child. Even the manager is there since the Quinnsworth days. Tesco's greatest asset in Ennis is definitely their staff, the store itself is very grubby and is in serious need of a facelift.

The store is grubby due to the fact that they are hoping to relocate. They let the Shannon shop run down before they went to Coonagh. Probably think why should they put capital into a building if they are not going to be there much longer. There is another thread on the other site in Ennis somewhere on Clare boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It can only benefit from a new location, the cattlemart wouldn't move into the shed they're currently in.
    And I do like the Tecos in Ennis apart from that, I dare say that they're selection is any bit as good as Coonagh's.
    But I'll still be going into Coonagh because they're directly on my way home while Ennis isn't.
    And I don't pay to park at any shopping center, paying them so I'll be allowed to park there and do my shopping, that is taking the piss.
    And I don't care that I can claim it back, Aldi across the road doesn't charge, so any argument for Tesco to charge is nul and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Really??
    I have to disagree, I was left waiting 15 minutes last week for someone to look into my bag of potatoes to check they were rotten, and no apology either. That's not very customer friendly imo.

The store definitely needs a massive facelift.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've always found the staff in Tesco Ennis to be very friendly. I would imagine that Tesco were caught between a rock and a hard place in regards to doing the place up, the place is making money and they are getting rent from all the units, to do the place up they'd have to knock the place and start from scratch, that would mean that they would have 0 income while doing it up and the existing tenants would be entitled to new units, they have tried a few times to relocated, this time might be it, when you see Coonagh, Kilrush and Oranmore you realise what a dump it is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Clareman wrote: »
    I've always found the staff in Tesco Ennis to be very friendly

+1

They are heads and shoulders above the service you get @ Dunnes sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

And I don't pay to park at any shopping center, paying them so I'll be allowed to park there and do my shopping, that is taking the piss.
    And I don't care that I can claim it back, Aldi across the road doesn't charge, so any argument for Tesco to charge is nul and void.

Do Ennis Town Council run the carpark in Tesco? Might explain why you're charged there (albeit with a rebate) and not in Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

phutyle wrote: »
    Do Ennis Town Council run the carpark in Tesco? Might explain why you're charged there (albeit with a rebate) and not in Aldi.
    Fairly sure its a private car park in Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

I was shopping today in Tesco. All these so- called price reductions are are meant to confuse people. Take for e.g a tin of Tesco peas. Recently it was 50c, now it's 56c.. With a reduction of 26c!!!.Tesco! raise your prices if you must.. but .please don't treat me like like I'm a fool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Personally i can't stand the Ennis store it's just dirty looking, the staff i have found aren't all that helpful, customer service is only ok they can be very fussy about trying to return some items, even if your within the T&Cs of there return policy, the car park belongs to tesco, same as Dunnes own there car park, both are run by Euro Car Parks, so even if you prefer dunnes or tesco Euro Car Parks gets a cut, that's if you pay and display ;) , Aldi don't charge you to park so you'll be attracted to the store, all-tho i can see them getting a lot fussier about you parking there given how many people park there to go to tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

That stretch of previously free street parking outside Tesco, from the bottle bank up to the side entrance, is paid parking now, so watch out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Aldi don't charge you to park so you'll be attracted to the store, all-tho i can see them getting a lot fussier about you parking there given how many people park there to go to tesco.

They clamp vigilantly there at Aldi, mostly people going to Tesco.

I do my weekly shopping @ Aldi and have a system. There are a few things like Worcestershire Sauce, certain brand cookies, and a handful of other items we can't get at Aldi. Thats why I park at Aldi and while inside the wife runs over and picks up the few items we need from there and meets us back in Aldi.

Beats paying for parking or getting clamped!

CptSternn wrote: »
    They clamp vigilantly there at Aldi, mostly people going to Tesco.

I do my weekly shopping @ Aldi and have a system. There are a few things like Worcestershire Sauce, certain brand cookies, and a handful of other items we can't get at Aldi. Thats why I park at Aldi and while inside the wife runs over and picks up the few items we need from there and meets us back in Aldi.

Beats paying for parking or getting clamped!

Now that's using your noodle!
    I have on occasion parked at Aldi, gone in, done a full shop and then skipped across to Tescos. Been lucky so far.
    But having said that, I have parked at Dunnes and Tescos on a regular basis over the last good many years and never had any trouble.
    In fact I can proudly say that, in more than 10 years, I have never once paid them.
    But now if I need to go to Tescos I just stop at Coonagh on the way home.
    Tescos in Ennis is doing themselves no favours by having a shabby, run-down store, a mostly full car park where you might have to circle for 10 minutes and, on top of that, charging you.
    Aldi, Lidl, Shannon, Coonagh and even the cluster of shops where Sheil's used to be surely must be taking business away from them, either the relocate, revamp or they won't make it, unless the Tesco chain finances their losses.

Tescos in Ennis is doing themselves no favours by having a shabby, run-down store, a mostly full car park where you might have to circle for 10 minutes and, on top of that, charging you.

The "mostly full car park" is the very reason that they charge. If they didn't, you'd never get a space between 8.30 and 6, as everyone who works in town would park there for the day. At least with the charge and two hour limit, there's some movement of cars in and out. And with the rebate, it's free if you buy a bit of stuff in Tesco anyway - so tesco customers are no more being charged for parking than they are for trollies (you get your money back straight away).

As for the run down store, this is why they're building their new store in Ennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I must say I've always found Tesco a pleasure compared to Dunnes. Parking in Tesco is always easier (that is, you can almost always get parking very close to one of the entrances) and the queues in Dunnes are always huge (can't figure this out, very very off putting).

The "mostly full car park" is the very reason that they charge. If they didn't, you'd never get a space between 8.30 and 6, as everyone who works in town would park there for the day. At least with the charge and two hour limit, there's some movement of cars in and out. And with the rebate, it's free if you buy a bit of stuff in Tesco anyway - so tesco customers are no more being charged for parking than they are for trollies (you get your money back straight away).

As for the run down store, this is why they're building their new store in Ennis.

Aldi doesn't charge. Argument void.
    As for the new store.
    Yes. I know. 'Bout time.

Aldi doesn't charge. Argument void.

Aldi clamp. Argument stands.

Aldi clamp. Argument stands.

Works for me.
    I can drive in there, do my shop and not worry about getting a ticket/clamped.
    Tesco charges because they know that many people will forget/won't be arsed/don't buy enough to get their money back.
    If I need to go to Tesco I go to Coonagh because it's free, a much nicer store and it's on my way home, so no having to go in and out of Ennis.
    Now, with the new store this whole argument may become void if they have a slightly out of town location and won't have to charge, let's see how that works out.
    Having all major stores, Glor, the towncenter, a few hotels and a GAA pitch within the same little area is madness anyway, most properly developed town have an area for the pitch, another for shopping and make sure none of them will burden the towncenter with traffic/parking (maybe that's just me).
    But this "let's pile everything into the same square mile" is madness.
    Redesigning Ennis and decentralising a few things will only do it good.
    And then pedestrianise Market Street, Parnell Street and O'Connel Street. It certainly would help the farmer's market a lot, something that should be developed hugely in the future. Ennis could be made into a beautiful and relaxing town. It's more like an anthill right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't care for decentralisation. It's made a mess of Limerick. Better to keep everything central, particularly for us without cars.

Don't get the morbid obsession with parking round here. There are plenty of spaces these days unlike a few years back and if you're too cheap to pay the hourly rate just park 3 minutes out of town by hermitage and walk. If it's like an anthill that's a good thing. Too many dead towns in Ireland I'd rather it being a bit hectic. I'd prefer they just pedestrianised it on Saturdays or bank holidays as well. Otherwise it's going to be a ghost town most weekdays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Don_Corleone

interesting article here on the demise of Youghal in Cork.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0402/1224293621909.html

the most interesting bit in relation to this thread is here

"There is another reason why the town centre is dying. Planning authorities allowed a large 24-hour Tesco and a Lidl on the edge of the town boundary; now they are sucking much of the commercial life away from the centre. It’s a classic case of the “doughnut effect”, a term coined in the US to describe what happens when the commercial heart of an urban area is relocated to the suburbs, leaving a sometimes derelict or empty centre.Dr Kieran Keohane, a lecturer in sociology at University College Cork, says it’s unusual to observe this phenomenon in an Irish context. The social impact is more than just the running down of a town centre: it also affects the social fabric that binds a community together. “If we define a community by the density of the social networks, or people’s contact with others, then the doughnut effect is more than just physical: it reduces people’s contacts in the town; there is less occasion for people to meet or converse, for shared understanding.”

for reasons such as this i have reservations about the new tesco planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

if you're too cheap to pay the hourly rate just park 3 minutes out of town by hermitage and walk.

I'd say the good people of Hermitage are fairly p1ssed off of people parking their cars there while they shop/work in Ennis.

I don't care for decentralisation. It's made a mess of Limerick. Better to keep everything central, particularly for us without cars.

Don't get the morbid obsession with parking round here. There are plenty of spaces these days unlike a few years back and if you're too cheap to pay the hourly rate just park 3 minutes out of town by hermitage and walk. If it's like an anthill that's a good thing. Too many dead towns in Ireland I'd rather it being a bit hectic. I'd prefer they just pedestrianised it on Saturdays or bank holidays as well. Otherwise it's going to be a ghost town most weekdays.

I don't think Limerick is that bad, good shopping, restaurants, cinemas, some streets are pedestrianised, the Milk Market is quite nice, at the watefront is not bad and a bit of "culcher" going on, it doesn't seem to be a huge mess, just a reasonably well organised city.
    The mess in Limerick might in some part stem from quite high unemployment and a section of undesirables living there, but been going there for years now and never had a single problem.
    I don't know why bad layout, cramped streets and lack of parking are a good thing.
    I don't mind paying a bit to park, but Ennis could be so much nicer.
    And true, Ennis makes more sense without a car, but I live a bit outside so have little choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'd say the good people of Hermitage are fairly p1ssed off of people parking their cars there while they shop/work in Ennis.

I have my own clamp:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't think Limerick is that bad, good shopping, restaurants, cinemas, some streets are pedestrianised, the Milk Market is quite nice, at the watefront is not bad and a bit of "culcher" going on, it doesn't seem to be a huge mess, just a reasonably well organised city.
    The mess in Limerick might in some part stem from quite high unemployment and a section of undesirables living there, but been going there for years now and never had a single problem.
    I don't know why bad layout, cramped streets and lack of parking are a good thing.
    I don't mind paying a bit to park, but Ennis could be so much nicer.
    And true, Ennis makes more sense without a car, but I live a bit outside so have little choice.

I prefer the town center in Limerick but if I want to go to the cinema, H&M and TK Maxx for instance I have to drive to 2 sides of the city and find parking. It's a pain in the arse. It was way better years ago before everything ended up moving to the outskirts. At least in Galway most stuff is within walking distance if you've got 20 minutes.

I prefer the town center in Limerick but if I want to go to the cinema, H&M and TK Maxx for instance I have to drive to 2 sides of the city and find parking. It's a pain in the arse. It was way better years ago before everything ended up moving to the outskirts. At least in Galway most stuff is within walking distance if you've got 20 minutes.

Actually go a lot to TK Maxx in Limerick and then onto the Crescent, it's a 10 minute drive if you go across by Harvey Norman and the motorway and parking is plentiful and free, honestly don't see the problem.
    You're not a bloke I guess, because H&M in Limerick is not applicable to me because their men's section is beyound pathetic.:) (and I think their quality has gone downhill big time in the last few years)

Advertisement