Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Options
  • 01-04-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

As the album has officially leaked, what does everyone think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Didnt know it had leaked but think I'll wait and buy it on release day. Looking forward to it. Enjoyed that White Limo song thats been out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

blindpilot wrote: »
    Didnt know it had leaked but think I'll wait and buy it on release day. Looking forward to it. Enjoyed that White Limo song thats been out for a while.

Yea on there facebook they said "Leak ? Rad. Was starting to think no one cared. Our version sounds better." and then posted this
    http://wastinglight.foofighters.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Absolutely brilliant, love it. Best album from them in years.

Yea its class, I have had it on repeat since yesterday. I really can't wait to see some of these tracks live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

darryn wrote: »
    Yea its class, I have had it on repeat since yesterday. I really can't wait to see some of these tracks live

Get yourself to a cinema on Thursday night then. It'll be the next best thing.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's good alright but I think the quality drops off a bit towards the end.

Get yourself to a cinema on Thursday night then. It'll be the next best thing.
    I work in a cinema so yea I should be at that

Leak?

I wouldn't say that.

It was streamed by the Foo Fighters themselves.

Regardless, it's out theres now!!

Wahoooo!!!

I love the absolute heaviness of it! It's kickass.

Rope & Miss Misery are ma faves so far!

Although I had a look on kickasstorrents.com and it's already on there. :cool:

It's weird they allowed it themselves!!

Leak?

I wouldn't say that.

Wahoooo!!!

The album was leaked first then they saw it was leaked and posted it up on the website, which is well sound

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Leak?

I wouldn't say that.

Wahoooo!!!

Well its very hard for an album not to leak these days and plus there isnt much money to be made in Albums anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is miss misery an Elliot Smith cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Mushy wrote: »
    Is miss misery an Elliot Smith cover?

no it's a completely different song called miss the misery

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

fluke wrote: »
    no it's a completely different song called miss the misery

Yeah i found out when I got to listen. Was written as Miss Misery above so unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just had a first listen. Not bad, certainly better than their last few efforts. I thought some of the songs in the middle were let down by bland four chord choruses. Also a couple of them sounded like they were written on acoustic guitars and had the rock sound slightly forced on them.

Best song on the album imo is white limo by a fair distance. Slightly disappointed it was the only song on the album with that kind of sound but that's what I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Best song on the album imo is white limo by a fair distance.

Agreed. Much stronger record than the last one though (IMHO).

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm getting this now. I'm impressed with White Limo and Rope. Sounds like old Foos. This might undo In Your Honor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Need to check this out. Haven't enjoyed an album from them fully since "The Colour And The Shape".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Really liking the album, a return to form. I had worried they had disappeared into MOR tedium. Really looking forward to the cinema Thursday night now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Mmm agreed! This is a gem alright! Beats the socks off any of the last 2 or 3 efforts(that last album really was pants)!

Contray to what some people have said, I think the quality is pretty even throughout, I dont find it tapering at the end at all!(IMO) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The more I listen to it the more I love it. I can't wait to see them perform it live at the cinema tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I ****ing love this album! It's been a long wait, but this album is easily the best thing they've done for ten years. It's like it get's all the best things from each album and put them into one rocking record.

Bridges Burning is one of the best openers for an album that I've ever heard. I've listened to Rope and White Limo for months and they never get old. On first listen, I wasn't mad about the middle bit of the album but it's really grown on me. These Days is radio rock as it should be, (and I say that in a good way), I love it.

Sure the Foos detractors will not like this album either, because it's not metal enough, but shur that's what Probot was for!

Standout tracks for me are White Limo, Bridges Burning, These Days, Should have Known and Walk is like a song that could have been on TCATS, absolutely phenomenal! When Dave screams 'I never wanna die', I really believe him!

This album will be one of the stand out of this year, and dare I say, this decade... It's made me have to see these guys live again in the summer, that's the ultimate compliment coz I'm broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's growing on me with every listen :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Theyve been treading water with every single release post TCATS. Just listened to rope there with people rating it highly, meh. Seems like more radio friendly crap of the type theyve been churning out now for over a decade. White Limo sounds like a b-side from TCATS.
    I saw them in the SFX in 1995 touring the debut album, and they were ****ing amazing, then came TCATS which was brilliant, but with everything ive heard after that its just been a slow decline into absolute mediocrity. Hate to say it but theyre dad rock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Theyve been treading water with every single release post TCATS. Just listened to rope there with people rating it highly, meh. Seems like more radio friendly crap of the type theyve been churning out now for over a decade. White Limo sounds like a b-side from TCATS.
    I saw them in the SFX in 1995 touring the debut album, and they were ****ing amazing, then came TCATS which was brilliant, but with everything ive heard after that its just been a slow decline into absolute mediocrity. Hate to say it but theyre dad rock now.

I have to agree with you there. I heard the whole album, and it's not anything near as class as TCATS, but it does have a couple of great songs like 'Bridge Burning, Dear Rosemary and walk. Most of the other songs just sound a bit bland with boring guitar riffs that are loud for the sake of being loud, without any guitar riffs that have any memorable parts to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

You know....Its a typical response from some people. People like a bands first (and sometimes 2nd album) and then automatically, nothing will ever be that good again! Number of reasons:
      Like the age you were when listening to those albums, the nostalgia feel when you think back to that time, it was the first time hearing that band
    Its all personal opinion at the end of the day, but 'personally' its equally as good, as either of the first 2 albums.

Dad rock or not! :rolleyes:

darryn wrote: »
    The album was leaked first then they saw it was leaked and posted it up on the website, which is well sound

Indeed!!

Pity now THOUSANDS of people will have downloaded it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

it sounds good, i like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

Bridges Burning is one of the best openers for an album that I've ever heard.

Agreed love that song. Only listened to it once online but so far i like it. need another few listens to get a proper opinion. I like the foo fighters so just going to buy this one (big deal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

just had a full listen, sounds ace, rope reminds me a bit of rush, also like bridge burning and i should have known

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I am really liking this album, their strongest in a long time. Did anyone read that bullsh1t review in the Irish times yesterday? It is at odds with everything else I have read about the album and a real attempt at standing out from the crowd...pathetic. Everyone knows what to expect from the foo fighters by now and this album gives fans everything they could want. Shame they are only playin oxegen this summer.

Advertisement