Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Ive listened to the album 4 times now and have definitely arrived at the conclusion that after the first 2 songs the album takes a serious nose dive (track 4 is OK in a QoTSA kinda way) .. I think Foo Fighters will ever have an "epic" album but will one day release an amazing Greatest Hits definative record.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

I think its great theres diversity on the album but sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming ,for example going from White Limo (Track 4) to Arlandria (Track 5) feels kinda strange because of the huge musical change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

RayCon wrote: »
    Ive listened to the album 4 times now and have definitely arrived at the conclusion that after the first 2 songs the album takes a serious nose dive (track 4 is OK in a QoTSA kinda way) .. I think Foo Fighters will ever have an "epic" album but will one day release an amazing Greatest Hits definative record.

foo-fighters-greatest-hits.jpg

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

^ Nah , it'll be a double bestest, bestest, honestly we swear, most definative ever Best of ..... at the end of their career ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I cant believe this is the same guy who wrote xstatic, stick around, everlong and hero.

People get older. People evolve. People's taste in music evolves. Songwriters evolve. Songwriter's inspiration for writing music evolves. People's taste and songwriter's song-writing may not follow the same path. Personally, I like Dave Grohl's song-writing (apart from the previous album). Go Dave :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

For anyone interested, there is a Foo Fighters documentary on TG4 in half an hour. Not sure, but could be the doc that was in the cinema a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The length of the documentary suggests it could certainly be it

I think TG4 have forgotten about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Cracking documentary and just reminded me how great a band they are and how far they have come since I first seen them in 95 sounding utterly sh!t.
    Roll on Oxegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

just watched the doco. Very enjoyable. Dave has some gaff in fairness, but why wouldn't he!!

The new album is warming to me, and I think I'll make a purchase. The first two seem to be the "better" ones amongst hardcore fans.

Personally, TCATS is my fave, the first one is good, and TINLTL is also one I like. I wasn't too gone on One by One, sounds very compressed or "too clean". I heard In Your Honor, but apart from a few songs didn't do a whole lot.

I haven't heard Echoes..... so can't comment. I listened to the new one today and I like it. The man is 42. He is hardly going to write the same as he did in 95. I can't understand why people don't get that. He is not in his mid 20s anymore, so get over it, or listen to something else. I sometimes wonder do the lads in Napalm Death think it's a bit silly playing death metal songs in their 40s, ones they wrote passionately when they were youngfellas....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Cant get into new album at all. Few good tracks but overall disappointing. Been listening to There Is Nothing Left To Lose tonight after forgetting about it for years. What a great album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

seachto7 wrote: »
    just watched the doco. Very enjoyable. Dave has some gaff in fairness, but why wouldn't he!!

The new album is warming to me, and I think I'll make a purchase. The first two seem to be the "better" ones amongst hardcore fans.

Personally, TCATS is my fave, the first one is good, and TINLTL is also one I like. I wasn't too gone on One by One, sounds very compressed or "too clean". I heard In Your Honor, but apart from a few songs didn't do a whole lot.

I haven't heard Echoes..... so can't comment. I listened to the new one today and I like it. The man is 42. He is hardly going to write the same as he did in 95. I can't understand why people don't get that. He is not in his mid 20s anymore, so get over it, or listen to something else. I sometimes wonder do the lads in Napalm Death think it's a bit silly playing death metal songs in their 40s, ones they wrote passionately when they were youngfellas....

In bold:
    1: Agree completely. Their best album overall.
    2. Those lads still can still crank out a good album. They still seem to enjoy it too which is probably most important. But I've always wondered about that myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I agree blindpilot. Napalm Death still going strong, but I often wonder do they stop and think "f**kin' ell..." when they are cranking it out.

I know my listening habits changed as I got older, I would imagine it's the same for people writing music. I suppose Napalm Death is the type of music where you can't really veer away from the formula/style.

I suppose with the Foos, they can write full on/soft/ etc etc. I know songs I try to write on guitar now are a lot different than 1995.......

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

seachto7 wrote: »

Well said thats being annoying me with people saying oh the Foo's will never be as good as they were in the early days. It would be a bit silly for Dave to try and write lyrics and songs that dealt around that age . All musicians change over the years on how they write

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Devrobia

Great album...First seven songs are excellent then the album weakens a small bit to the end, but overall....Great

• Registered Users Posts: 31 darkest star2379

im glad theres other people out there who can look at a foo fighters album and not get blinded by the hype .
    i have been a solid foo fighters/dave grohl fan since i owned "pocketwatch" ...and ive gotta be honest when i say this band best days are behind them.
    first album , color and the shape , and tnltl are superb albums but then the took off in a direction and started making some very average stuff .....espg is by far the weakest stuff they have put out.
    now wasting light i was eagerly awaiting and its decent enough ....bridge burning , arlandria ,rope and white limo are the standouts but theres lots of filler thrown in there too.

and as one of the above posters stated , maybe its nostalgia (im 33) but i think they wont ever appeal to me as much as the early stuff

im glad theres other people out there who can look at a foo fighters album and not get blinded by the hype .

With a line like this I really couldn't be bothered to read the rest of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    With a line like this I really couldn't be bothered to read the rest of your post.

I bet you did though.....

first off...you didnt read my post because i have an opinion on the foo fighters that might not be the same as yours...

am i supposed to care... no....theres a number of others on this thread who agree with me so really i dont give a hoot mate..nothing personal

also..i have every album , bootlegs, copied cd's,bsides , grohls other stuff, pocketwatch ,dvds, live concerts..i have been there from day one with the foos ...so really i can give an opinion on this latest album which is decent enough but nowhere near the mid ninties

I bet you did though.....

I actually didn't.
    first off...you didnt read my post because i have an opinion on the foo fighters that might not be the same as yours...

People with a different opinion to yours are "blinded by the hype" apparently so everyone else must be wrong is it? You know what they say about opinions don't you.

• Advertisement

minstrel

yawn ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 r.h.c.podge

this is the best album theyve released since one by one real hit back to rock and really shows there progression as a group. A constant album with great rock tunes with i should have known being the most powerful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

this is the best album theyve released since one by one

One by One's awful though so you're not comparing it with much. All my Life's good and I like Tired of You too but the rest is forgettable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

One by One's awful though so you're not comparing it with much. All my Life's good and I like Tired of You too but the rest is forgettable.

Agreed One by One was a pretty bad album , was way to rushed and you would know when listening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just a heads up, Wasting Light is 6.99 in HMV.

Advertisement