Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*wanted* reference radeon 5850 fan

Options
  • 01-04-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, the fan on my sapphire 5850 has worn out and and grinds very loudly most of the time now. it is the stock reference card.

i was wondering if anyone on here who has installed an aftermarket cooler (water cooling etc) on there card would be willing to part with there (working) fan ,
    i have looked at aftermarket coolers and as i have 2 cards in crossfire the aftermarket coolers would be too big to fit.
    also if anyone had a fried or broken card with a working fan would do the job also.
    i believe the 5850 and 5870 have the same fan but im not 100% sure

any help would be appreciated , i will pay postage and a small fee if required depending on whats been offered
    thanks

this is the fan
    Radeon-HD5850-PCB12.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

get yourself some aftermarket coolers on them cards
    ive fitted scythe musashi gpu coolers to my 5850 crossfire
    they take up the same room as standard 5850 when fitted they runn cooler and quieter than standard
    its a no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 weldon855

do you have a blank slot between your 2 cards or are they side by side?
    theres max 5mm between my 2 cards so theres not much room to play.
    reading up on that cooler it is still slightly bigger than 2 slots which means it could potentially still foul the second card , and theres no room underneath as that slot is too occupied.

also if it was to work. did you keep the stock vrm plate and install the cooler over it or did you use the heatspreaders that came with it.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

i have a slot between the cards theres a sound card in there.
    i kept the stock vrm coolers attached didnt fit any of the supplied ones.

thanks for the info, i guess if no one has a dead card or spare fan available , ill have to give this a try and hope it fits

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The fan by itself is not compatible but you want to try an entire cooler I have a leftover from a Sapphire HD4870 (very similar to the Vapour-X coolers) that you can try if you like.

I would think it ought to work on a HD5850 as the GPU/ VRM placement is nearly identical AFAIK (The same third party coolers tend to be compatible with both).

Cooler
    sapphire_hd4870_04.jpg

Sapphire HD 4870 PCB
    videocard-GPU,8-G-171376-13.jpg

Reference 5850 PCB
    Radeon-HD5850-PCB01.jpg

• Advertisement

i had a look at the pcb, although the mounting holes for the heatsink are the same i dont think i could successfully mount the rest of the housing and fan on to my gpu thanks for the offer though , itts much appreciated .

i had a look at the zalman gv1000, i think someone mounted one of them on there 5850 and its thin enough aswell, not 100% on the temps though. but it could be a possible option it i cant get mine fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Have you tried getting on to the manufacturer? Should be covered under warranty.

as the card is not made anymore if i rma ill get a cheap non reference card with no volt mod or oc potential. it is of course an option but as the card still works id rather not risk loosing it as it overclocks well. but thats probably just me being stupid.

weldon855 wrote: »
    as the card is not made anymore if i rma ill get a cheap non reference card with no volt mod or oc potential. it is of course an option but as the card still works id rather not risk loosing it as it overclocks well. but thats probably just me being stupid.
    it is. You dobnt know what they'll offer you until you email them.

unfortunately an rma is not an option anymore, so i would still like if anybody could help at all, id rather not buy an aftermarket cooler unless it is the only solution.

• Advertisement

Did you email them?

yes as the fan still works an the noise is intermittent , if after testing it is found to be faulty then i would be issued with a new revision card(not ideal) but i have to pay for postage and handling. so after all that i would have a new card with poorer performance.

Advertisement