Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Practical

• 01-04-2011 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭

So, the music performance exam is coming up in a fortnight or so, and I'm just curious to see what everyone's got lined up for their exam!

I'm doing 4 pices on guitar and music technology. The technology bit seems really easy, hoping to nail the marks there.

I'm gonna be doing:

The Beatles - Blackbird
    The Shadows - Man Of Mystery
    The Mars Volta - Asilos Magdalena
    Muse - MK Ultra

I hope it's up to the standard they want. There's really no indicator if you're not playing an instrument by grades, very annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Piano!

Hoppípolla - Sigur Rós
    Scherzo - Handel (I THINK)
    Time To Say Goodbye - Andrea Bochelli
    Mr Brightside - The Killers.

Wanted to do the Improv as a lot of my pieces I've turned into my own really but for how much you get for so little in the clapping and comp technology it would be silly not to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

6 piano.

Sweet Child Of Mine
    Don't Stop Believing
    2 fast classical
    2 slow classical

I got banned from the school computers earlier in the year so technology isn't an option for me. I do my homework during class instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

higgz wrote: »
    I got banned from the school computers earlier in the year so technology isn't an option for me. I do my homework during class instead :)
    Haha, sounds like a decent tradeoff, might get myself banned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Moke

Cydoniac wrote: »
    So, the music performance exam is coming up in a fortnight or so, and I'm just curious to see what everyone's got lined up for their exam!

I'm doing 4 pices on guitar and music technology. The technology bit seems really easy, hoping to nail the marks there.

I'm gonna be doing:

The Beatles - Blackbird
    The Shadows - Man Of Mystery
    The Mars Volta - Asilos Magdalena
    Muse - MK Ultra

I hope it's up to the standard they want. There's really no indicator if you're not playing an instrument by grades, very annoying.
    In fifth year but thinking about what songs to do. I was thinking Blackbird since I've been able to play it since I was about 10. What I've lined up so far (and I'm hoping to do 6 pieces on guitar) -

Classical Gas - Mason Williams
    Always With You, Always With Me - Joe Satriani
    Ain't Misbehavin' - Fats Waller
    Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Those are ones I'm pretty sure on, I'm thinking of doing Limelight by Rush but I'm not sure on the last two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

higgz wrote: »

How do you get banned from the school computers? :confused:

As for me I'm doing 4 sax and music technology.

Tequila
    My Way/Moon River
    The Girl From Ipanema/Your Latest Trick
    A Lovely Madness (Irsh trad set by Beoga)

Was going to do 4 on the bodhran instead of music technology but thought it would be too hard to get a good variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    How do you get banned from the school computers? :confused:

Found out the school wi-fi password. All the ipods overloaded the system and crashed it for a week. They had to hire a contractor to fix it all :o

It was my third strike haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 plug_in_baby

I'm doing 6 piano... i'm really regreting not taking the easy option and doing technology lol...

I'm playing my 3 grade 8 pieces and 3 others, ( 3 fast, 3 slow):

1. Bach - Fugue in Dmaj ( BEATCH to play :P)
    2. Beethoven Pathiqué Sonata (Movt. 3) ( So friggin LONG!!!)
    3. John Field- Nocturne no 1 ( My fave :))
    4. Tchaikovsky- Sweet Dreams ( No, not the Beyoncé song lol !!)
    5. Beethoven- Bagatelle ( nice chirpy number)
    6. Muse - Starlight ( My own slowed down improv)

Mine's not till the 11th so I've still got a week to practice thank god !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

I'm doing 4 part solo singing and 4 part group singing.

For solo I'm doing:

Muse - Sunburn
    Foals - Spanish Sahara (Shortened)
    Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    Adele - Someone Like You

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

3. John Field- Nocturne no 1 ( My fave :))

I'm learning that for grade 8 too, it's so nice! I'm only in fifth year, but i'm thinking about playing that for leaving cert too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

6 singing.

Someone to watch over me- from musical 'Oh, Kay!'

Vergin tutto amor - Durante

Ouvre tes yeux bleus - Massenet

Das erste Veilchen - Mendelssohn

When I am laid in earth - From Opera Dido and Aeneas by Purcell

An Spailpín Fánach - Sean nós

Flabangav wrote: »
    I'm learning that for grade 8 too, it's so nice! I'm only in fifth year, but i'm thinking about playing that for leaving cert too :)

Aww I know, EVERONE likes it, makes you reeeealy sleepy tho...;) Defo keep it practiced for next year!!

WOW quite a good bit of Muse it would seem... not that i'm objecting, you might guess from my username i'm kinda an obsessed a fan :)

I was gonna play either Sunburn, Space Dementia or Butterflies and Hurricanes or something, until I found out that my examiner will be an elderly nun :pac:..... So I thought i'd stick to the poppy stuff and not the wierd and dark stuff just to be safe... I'm not sure how she'd react to Meglomania:P

I'm really paranoid that my pieces aren't up to the standard they expect. What IS the standard of pieces they expect from a non-classical guitarist?

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm really paranoid that my pieces aren't up to the standard they expect. What IS the standard of pieces they expect from a non-classical guitarist?

My teacher said that they expect the standard to reflect 5/6 years of learning the instrument ( i.e. since first year, they're supossed to assume you took up your instrument then).

I think you'll be sound with those pieces.. they are VERY vague with their expected standards, but I suppose the less specific they are the more freedom you have in choosing your pieces...

So long as you're comfortable playing those pieces and the examiner sees you playing them confidently you should be fine :D

My pieces sound decent enough I guess. Are backing tracks allowed does anyone know? Would really add to one of my pieces.

Yep, I'm 99% sure you are, I know a few people who have used them other years... but maybe ask you teacher just incase it's changed or anything lol:D !!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Yeah you can use backing tracks. My mates using a drum machine for his bass guitar practical.

Advertisement