Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 2 modems.

• 02-04-2011 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭

I have 2 telecom ports in my house one upstairs and another downstairs. We left Eircom for another provider and never disconnected the old modem since the new service was mobile BB. When we rejoined Eircom a few months later we got a new modem but tbh the range is very poor. Here's the thing. I have the new one plugged in downstairs and the old one still upstairs and while they both sync the DSL signal perfectly fine on their own I can't get them to do it at the same time.

My first thought was that a fault on the line might be giving a weak signal and it's not strong enough to sync two modems simultaneously but of course I may have to tweak them a bit too.

Any advice on if it can be done and what I need to go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You can only use one modem at a time on a DSL line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Ah ok. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You can though use both, getting different IP addresses for each if you wish.
    I have two devices ..... an Eircom modem/router set in Bridge+NAT and another router connected to that.

Both get their own IP address ...... it can be useful in certain specific circumstances.

I wonder how many IP addresses Eircom limits each customer to ...... ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I have two devices ..... an Eircom modem/router set in Bridge+NAT and another router connected to that.

Both get their own IP address ...... it can be useful in certain specific circumstances.

That is a internal network though; the modem connected to the Internet connection can only be one and the second is simply playing extender in the private network behind the scenes which Eircom could not care less about..

Nody wrote: »
    That is a internal network though; the modem connected to the Internet connection can only be one and the second is simply playing extender in the private network behind the scenes which Eircom could not care less about..

I thought I made it clear ..... I am getting two WAN IP addresses from Eircom.
    The second device is a router ..... so in the case of the OP his devices are indeed different, as both have modems apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Only way you can get 2 IP addresses from Eircom is if they are on separate lines.

Only way you can get 2 IP addresses from Eircom is if they are on separate lines.

Wrong!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

pics or gtfo

So the second router is not acting as a DSL router? It is connected through an Ethernet cable to the eircom router?

Then you are not using two modems. You are using a modem and a router.

So the second router is not acting as a DSL router? It is connected through an Ethernet cable to the eircom router?

Then you are not using two modems. You are using a modem and a router.

Already stated so in earlier post :confused:

• Advertisement

Already stated so in earlier post :confused:

So, you are ignoring the fact that the thread is about using two DSL modems connected to the phone line and not to each other.

Not a people person are you.

So, you are ignoring the fact that the thread is about using two DSL modems connected to the phone line and not to each other.

Not a people person are you.

I am not responsible for your lack of comprehension!

I added extra information to the thread and did not contradict the fact that only one modem can be connected to an Eircom line at any one time. That post was on topic. If not then it should have been removed.

pics or gtfo

:D:D:D great contribution :D:D:D

God you are something.!!!!

As you state you have one router accessing the WAN and the other in bridge mode which means it acts like bridge and this forwards those packets within the LAN.

You are aware that the routers/modem which you state can and are designed to perform many functions such as Routers, DHCP servers, Hubs, Bridges, Switches, even a web server and many more depending on the model offered to you by your ISP.

Given your first post stated that you had configured the bridged option, you therefore do not have a second DSL connection to your ISP, and stating so, is false.

NoDrama wrote: »
    As you state you have one router accessing the WAN and the other in bridge mode which means it acts like bridge and this forwards those packets within the LAN.

You are aware that the routers/modem which you state can and are designed to perform many functions such as Routers, DHCP servers, Hubs, Bridges, Switches, even a web server and many more depending on the model offered to you by your ISP.

Given your first post stated that you had configured the bridged option, you therefore do not have a second DSL connection to your ISP, and stating so, is false.

I do not think I said that, and if I appeared to imply such, I apologise for the confusion.
    The information was meant to highlight the fact that an ADSL user can have more than one separate connection to the internet with individual IP addresses -- on the one line.

regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I thought I made it clear ..... I am getting two WAN IP addresses from Eircom.
    The second device is a router ..... so in the case of the OP his devices are indeed different, as both have modems apparently.
    I know what you refer to but it didn't seem very clear to me when you posted it at first. Instead of simply saying people are "wrong", could you not have fleshed out your point a little more? For the record, up to four routers can be connected to the original modem/router and can get their own WAN IP address if configured correctly. It involves PPPoE passthrough or something like that, on the router that's actually connected to the phone line. This is ISP dependent however and not automatically supported within PPPoE. I've tested it to work with Vodafone.

For the OP, this could be useful for you but in any case, to get better wireless coverage upstairs you'll need a network cable going to a second wireless router upstairs. Wireless repeaters have a number of downsides, including the fact they can't be placed so far away from the original modem. Network cables can be up to 93m long however.

I know what you refer to but it didn't seem very clear to me when you posted it at first. Instead of simply saying people are "wrong", could you not have fleshed out your point a little more?

I thought I had .... in two posts prior to the statement I responded to ....

... which is clearly incorrect.
    For the record, up to four routers can be connected to the original modem/router and can get their own WAN IP address if configured correctly.

Thanks for the info.
    Is that a limitation of Eircom's service or the modem device?
    Just wondering what happens if more than four routers are connected using a switch or such ....... unfortunately I do not have sufficient routers to test it here.
    It involves PPPoE passthrough or something like that, on the router that's actually connected to the phone line. This is ISP dependent however and not automatically supported within PPPoE. I've tested it to work with Vodafone.

For the OP, this could be useful for you but in any case, to get better wireless coverage upstairs you'll need a network cable going to a second wireless router upstairs. Wireless repeaters have a number of downsides, including the fact they can't be placed so far away from the original modem. Network cables can be up to 93m long however.

regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Your point was that someone was "wrong" in a post but you never detailed why in that post. Even if you discussed the logic/reasons beforehand, if people were finding it unclear then it would be less antagonistic to elaborate on why someone was wrong.

The IP passthrough thing is a feature of PPPoE as a standard I think, but I'm really not sure. I tried it on a BT Voyager modem. The 2110 model I think? I remember seeing 4 quoted as the limit somewhere and support was ISP dependent.

Advertisement