Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marquardt considering move to 170

• 02-04-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭

Just read that, after his fight with Dan Miller, Nate Marquardt is considering a move to 170. In my eyes Nate was always one of the bigger 185's. He says in the interview linked below that he didn't have to cut any weight on the day of weigh ins because of his diet .

IMO this ever growing trend of cutting huge amounts of weight is a bad thing(in the major promotions, not the Irish scene), particularly because it allows wrestlers to muscle their way to decisions.

If he does go ahead with this I think he'll be a beast at 170, and I'd quite like to see him fight wrestlers who won't be able to bully him around the cage. It will also be interesting to see how his conditioning holds up, especially because he has gassed in the past while he hasn't been making a huge weight cut.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22934/ufcs-nate-marquardt-may-give-welterweight-a-try-will-settle-for-michael-bisping.mma

Just wondering what you're thoughts are on this and the growing numbers of fighters dropping down divisions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

To quote Dana White "He's a Gorilla!" I can't see that being a comfortable cut for him but now with the likes of Anthony Johnson and Thiago Alves doing it fairly well, there might be something in it.

Fair few good fights to be made at WW if he can do it. Best of luck to him too, I always enjoy watching him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

If he's not prepared to fight GSP, what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

SanoVitae wrote: »

Well, if GSP loses the belt to Shields, marquart will be happy to go after it. If GSP wins, he'll likely move up to 185, so Marquart will be a huge guy in a division where he has a decent crack at becoming champion!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well, if GSP loses the belt to Shields, marquart will be happy to go after it. If GSP wins, he'll likely move up to 185, so Marquart will be a huge guy in a division where he has a decent crack at becoming champion!

I thought GSP said he wasn't moving up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

SanoVitae wrote: »

in an interview with ariel helwani marquadt said he would interested in a drop to 170 but hasn't shut the door on the 185 division yet. he said he walks around the same size as GSP so thinks he can make the cut.

he said if it was for the title, and there was a lot of money in it, and it make sense other wise, he'd fight GSP and GSP felt the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

marquard is a monster at 185, he looks like a 205er. that would be a hell of a cut but if he can do it he will be a real force at 170.
    why would you drop to 170 though if you are not prepared to face the champion of that weight class?

kdowling wrote: »
    marquard is a monster at 185, he looks like a 205er. that would be a hell of a cut but if he can do it he will be a real force at 170.
    why would you drop to 170 though if you are not prepared to face the champion of that weight class?

As McStuffins said above, if GSP wins he may move up to middleweight and if he loses Marquardt can challenge Shields for the belt. I'd like to see Marquardt-Fitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

I know its off topic but why doesn't damien maie move down to 170. he would be a beast at that weight class. he walks around at 190 so it would be an easy cut for him. he looked so much smaller than marquardt when they fought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

kdowling wrote: »
    I know its off topic but why doesn't damien maie move down to 170. he would be a beast at that weight class. he walks around at 190 so it would be an easy cut for him. he looked so much smaller than marquardt when they fought.

That's because he took Maia's head off after like 10 seconds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ScareGilly wrote: »
    I thought GSP said he wasn't moving up?

When?
    I'm pretty sure he's said that he is moving and staying there if he beats Shields

• Advertisement
Advertisement