Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions for camera to catch a dumper

• 02-04-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I need your help in catching a person that's dumping his household rubbish on private land. I've been told I need to catch him red handed, I can't wait all day and night but could I use one of those cameras that are set up at bait station to see what coming and going.

Whatever I use I need it to catch him but he can't know he's after been caught. By the way lads this looks like it has been going on for years by the amount of black bags dumped and he doesn't use bin collection unlike everyone else.

Please help me I can't stand people who abuse our countryside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

A trail cam might just help you;).Works day or night .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I presume that you know who this guy is ?
    If it is close to the public road the Local Authority might be able to help you as I know the lads in the Council would love to get the culprit as well because if he is doin it on your property then you can be sure he is doin it in other places as well
    If this isn't possible you could always give it back to him !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

interesting you post this in the hunting forum.
    as above said something like this might help a hide in the spot where he's dumping.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70087871

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Get onto the council andask them to investigate, as has happened in Donegal. See here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ANYTHING with a name and address is enough for you to instigate prosecutions through AGS /litter warden.Irrespective if the person dumped it or not.
    Take a pic of the rubbish on your property[with date and time stamp.VERY important] and of any documentation you find as well.You dont need to catch them in the act either.But if you push the charge you will need to go to court as plaintiff and witness.
    Trail cam would work,but you need to cammo it well and it has to be an IR flash and well secured ,otherwise you might find your cam nicked or smashed.Happened to somone who used one with a visible flash.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

If you do not alert someone that they are being watched by a cctv camera it will not hold up in any court. So make sure you put up some sign and take a picture of it with the date on the picture and clearlt see the area you are targetting, then remove and record away.. It'll cover your own backside later ;) your left a happy camper but the same cant be said for the dumper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

Thanks lad, all info has been very helpful. This cute fox has not dumped anything with his name on it yet anyhow, i'll take some photos cause i didnt think someone could drink that amount of beer in cans, its all household rubbish. Spoke to council last time as i found box off washing machine and tv with serial number on it but wait for it they could not do anything because its on private land, i asked if on side of road what then they said they would collect and look into it, I could just move it all out onto the roadside and ring them but what would that sort, that f$$ker would still do it and i'm not letting him away with it anymore. by the way it's Kilkenny county council who wouldn't act.:mad::mad::mad:

where would i get a stelth camera with an ir flash.:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

Yeah you better be very careful if you put up cameras that they dont go walkies. Happened me already.

When I reported it to the gards the chap I was dealing with said there is big business/big money in robbing cameras and then selling them on ebay... :mad: :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have moved this from Shooting forum to here as the OP is looking for a camera suggestion. The issue is about rubbish (fly tipping) however the topic is a suggestion for a good camera prefeably IR to record activity overnight.

I was hoping it could get some good/positive answers here to help the OP. If its in the wrong forum or better suited somewhere else please move as appropriate.

Thanks,

Ez.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

moan 77 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I need your help in catching a person that's dumping his household rubbish on private land. I've been told I need to catch him red handed, I can't wait all day and night but could I use one of those cameras that are set up at bait station to see what coming and going.

Whatever I use I need it to catch him but he can't know he's after been caught. By the way lads this looks like it has been going on for years by the amount of black bags dumped and he doesn't use bin collection unlike everyone else.

Please help me I can't stand people who abuse our countryside.
    Some of the places in kk i shoot on have the same problem, so when i'm out shooting on these lands i always keep a look out for anyone/thing
    suspicious haven't come across anyone yet but when i do i know land owners will be greatful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ANYTHING with a name and address is enough for you to instigate prosecutions through AGS /litter warden.Irrespective if the person dumped it or not.
    Take a pic of the rubbish on your property[with date and time stamp.VERY important] and of any documentation you find as well.You dont need to catch them in the act either.But if you push the charge you will need to go to court as plaintiff and witness.
    Trail cam would work,but you need to cammo it well and it has to be an IR flash and well secured ,otherwise you might find your cam nicked or smashed.Happened to somone who used one with a visible flash.:eek:

In order to charge the person who originally owned the rubbish (it's their responsibility to ensure that it's properly disposed of) it's much better if you have two pieces of evidence which identifies the rubbish as theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

@Exasile,
    True,but one is enough to convict as well.The more the better.
    @Hunter 21
    Not necessarily true Re the CCTV warning signs..You do not have to display them on your private property,as you want to catch a culprit it should not be necessary to warn people not to do naughty things either.. Least of all,when it is a covert operation.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Saw somewhere that someone set up a camera with battery backup in an old fridge that itself looked like it was dumped and used to good effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I think that you also must show a sign that says CCTV in operation too.

Otherwize its classed as entrapment.

Could be wrong on this though?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭david85

I have done abit on the illegal dumping for random county council's. If you inform your situation to the local authories with photographic evidence i am sure they could help you out. If not go to your local green party representative and complain.

Advertisement