Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castles and mounds history of your area?

Options
  • 02-04-2011 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if this has done been before,sorry if it has.

I was thinking about all the castles and mounds around Ireland.
    How much do you know about the history of your area?
    I found Kingswood Heights in Tallaght,and i was wondering does anyone know what the background of the castles and mounds there?
    Some pictures for those who havent seen them before.
    Hope you enjoy and anyone who can shed a light on the history of them? Thanks :)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=347885448415&v=photos&so=0

I cant paste the pics sorry.
    Feel free to add your own area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Loughcrew cairns near Oldcastle, Co. Meath.

153815.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

caseyann wrote: »
    I am not sure if this has done been before,sorry if it has.

I was thinking about all the castles and mounds around Ireland.
    How much do you know about the history of your area?
    I found Kingswood Heights in Tallaght,and i was wondering does anyone know what the background of the castles and mounds there?
    Some pictures for those who havent seen them before.
    Hope you enjoy and anyone who can shed a light on the history of them? Thanks :)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=347885448415&v=photos&so=0

I cant paste the pics sorry.
    Feel free to add your own area.

Sean Crowe is part of the heritage of Tallaght?! Didn't think he looked that old!:D

Buckets and buckets of castles and medieval ramparts in Kilkenny. You know you have a lot of something in an area when you ignore what, in other towns, tourism chiefs would give their left arm for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Loughcrew cairns near Oldcastle, Co. Meath.

153815.jpg

Its so beautiful.
    Whats the background on it?
    Einhard wrote: »
    Sean Crowe is part of the heritage of Tallaght?! Didn't think he looked that old!:D

Buckets and buckets of castles and medieval ramparts in Kilkenny. You know you have a lot of something in an area when you ignore what, in other towns, tourism chiefs would give their left arm for!

lol i didnt make it.

I know,it really should be sold more.I saw them talking about it on the tv today.Thats the key our history.
    Sad thing is alot of these places they dont protect and they look shabby,or even tourists would,nt know how to find them.
    Instead they pump the money into development and wreck the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

caseyann wrote: »
    Its so beautiful.
    Whats the background on it?

The Loughcrew cairns are supposed to pre-date Newgrange- approx 3500 BC, thus they are one of the oldest structures in Europe and further affield. As a comparison the Egyptian pyramids date to approx 2500 BC. There are carvings on the stones in the chamber:
    eerie-light.jpg

afterglow.jpg

Its not just a random pile of rocks either. The backstone of the chamber is illuminated by a beam of light at sunrise on the Spring and Autumn Equinox. The people who built this must have had a fantastic knowledge of light as well as ability to construct this in such a way as to achieve this with the light. It is something that amazes me and it is hard to take in just how long ago this was done.

Image of the back stone lit by the twice annual equinox, You can see in the image that the stone that the equinox lights up has a representation of the sun on it:
    sun-on-back-stone.jpg

Image and a quick reminder of some of the facts taken from http://www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/loughcrew/

Advertisement