Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Deacon appreciation thread

Options
  • 02-04-2011 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Seeing as Brian May got a thread devoted to him, I thought it only fair that one be given to one of the worlds most underrated bassists. Not only is Deacon a technically adept bassist imo, he's also uber smart, getting 3 As in his A levels, graduating with a 1st in engineering and constructing his own amp. The precision and cleverness which he displayed in these aspects is reflected in his songs imo in that they're very consistent and well constructed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Fantastic man, but a very fragile human being, even 10 years into Queen's career John was already saying he was surprised they'd lasted that far (obviously not due to skill but just the nature of the business) - I don't think he ever considered being a rock star as a "job"

John was a great performer, and it's a pity he never really branched out from Queen, other than with the Immortals. I think of the entire band he may have been closest to Freddie and Freddie's death may have hit him hardest. John grew up without a father and considered Freddie like a father figure and I think after years of touring he just wanted to spend time with his 6 children (he had the last two just after Freddie died mind)

He terms of what he created though, the whole Hot Space concept was him and Freddie, Another One Bites the Dust, the working with Michael Jackson, Spread My Wings, You're My Best Friend (dedicated to his wife at the time) and a lot of other really memorable songs that couldn't have happened without John. And then of course the whole mystery of whether he recorded his vocals on Liar? Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Didn't he have a top 40 hit with a song on The Biggles movie soundtrack???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I don't know any Queen fan who has anything but the utmost respect and admiration for Deacon, not least for his decision to walk away and not get involved with many of the questionable post-Freddie endeavours.
    He was in a band with three musicians that often end up on Best Vocalist/Best Guitarist/Best Drummer lists, and yet he's always overlooked. I partly think this is due to his "quiet" demeanour and the fact that he wasn't showy on stage, so he doesn't immediately spring to mind when considering great players. (I usually find myself nominating Chris Squire, John Entwistle and Geddy Lee when such conversations arise). But just watch him throughout the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert. He's holding the whole thing together.
    His role in Queen was absolutely pivotal. The new remasters really improve the clarity of the bass and you can hear and appreciate how good he really is on those albums.
    His songwriting cannot be overlooked either. He didn't write very much, but what he did contribute to each album was usually excellent. A band unique for the distinction of having top ten hits written by each member, it's also worth noting that two of Queen's most famous tracks were his - Another One Bites the Dust and I Want to Break Free.

"... she's gone all shy now..."
    Legend.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

^^ agreed. If you listen to the millionaire waltz thats some formidable bass playing right there, as a guitarist I'm not a bassist, though sometimes play it but the bass on that song sounds like some of best 70s stuff imo, it ranks right up there. It might not be shred slap bass but its pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I don't know any Queen fan who has anything but the utmost respect and admiration for Deacon, not least for his decision to walk away and not get involved with many of the questionable post-Freddie endeavours.

I can understand and appreciate his decision to walk away, without a doubt, but as a Queen fan on the same token I have no ill feeling towards Brian or Roger for attempting to do the opposite. I think for some people, when music is in your blood, you can do anything else in the world but you will inevitably return to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Oh no, I've no ill-feeling towards Brian and Roger either. Without their hands-on involvement, we wouldn't have the new remasters, which are killer! And, although I was quite cynical about it at the time it was announced, I went to see Queen + Paul Rodgers in the Point and it was phenomenal.
    I just meant that there is a lot of admiration for John's personal decision to just put Queen on the shelf as a body of work and not tinker with it or get involved in collaborations. He endorses and supports Brian and Roger's decisions, but just opts not to get involved himself, and fans respect that.

Currently listening to... Queen at the Beeb. :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Deacon really is very underrated as a bassist, going to throw on some Queen now and appreciate his skills!

Also I don't think Queen and Paul Rodgers was "questionable", actuallly enjoyed it, but May & Taylor with Robbie Williams was unforgivable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

I read an article recently where, either Brian or Roger, essentially said that JD now keeps himself at a distance from them, musically and personally.

A bit simplistic maybe, but I always got the impression that he just wasn't into the whole rock n' roll life. I remember the Freddie tribute and it just seemed to me, that hanging around the likes of Axl Rose and James Hetfield just wasn't his scene.

Advertisement