Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dexy Midnight runners

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Actually agree, terribly underrated. Used an Irish influence years before the Pogues.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Dexys are one of my favourite bands and Too Rye Ay is possibly my favourite album.

Remarkably under rated.

It's hard to imagine dirty tramps as young boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

My mum always says that a concert of theirs in about 1983 was the best concert she was ever at.

And she was at a lot of concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Great band I agree - but then I was young in the 80s. I imagine any band would be happy to have C'mon Eileen in their back catalogue. It might be irritating to be associated with one song but it is a great song. For those of us who were young at that time it's the soundtrack to so many memories. And it is still well known.
    Absolutely there is more to them than that - but C'mon Eileen isn't something to be ashamed of.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

wow sierra wrote: »
    Great band I agree - but then I was young in the 80s. I imagine any band would be happy to have C'mon Eileen in their back catalogue. It might be irritating to be associated with one song but it is a great song. For those of us who were young at that time it's the soundtrack to so many memories. And it is still well known.
    Absolutely there is more to them than that - but C'mon Eileen isn't something to be ashamed of.

I actually hated C'mon and Dexys until i heard the whole album. It's the last track on an absolutely stonking album that just builds so slowly to the frenzy that is C'mon. Coupled with the Irish Lullaby at the end of it, just closes out a wonderful album perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

wow sierra wrote: »

Sadly i doubt many british bands would have the balls to try something like this anymore. Its not a awful song its surely made Kevin rowlands a multi millionare but they had far greater songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Geno's a favourite of mine, never really liked 'Come on Eileen' much.
    Though that could be due to over exposure.
    Geno is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭keithcan

Superbus wrote: »
    My mum always says that a concert of theirs in about 1983 was the best concert she was ever at.

Getting over the idea I'm as old as your mum (sure if I am, I am), I wonder where that concert was? I remember being at a DMR concert in early 80s, pretty sure at the Mansion House in Dublin, and it being possibly the best ever I was at. But while I can't recall all details, I'd put it possibly back to 1981.

'Don't Stand me Down' - what a great album, I keep going back to it. If you haven't, you should.

All 3 studio albums (Searching, Too-Rye and Don't) are quite different but all excellent in their own ways, imo. KR was/is a proper header. Last saw him at Vicar Street about 2006. Heard he turned up at the Crossmolina (Co Mayo) Community Festival and did a gig in the pub, about 2008 or so. His roots are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

He's got relatives in the Rathmines/Ranelagh area of Dublin.

And a few years back i met him in a cafe in Rathmines, he was having a quiet coffee in the corner and he wasn't too pleased that i recognised him..very serious type of guy.:cool:

As Father Dougal once said ....."you should never meet your heros you'll only be disapointed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

In all fairness to call DMR as being a one-hit-wonder is taking the pee and to say they were underrated is also way off the mark, they were extremely popular from 1980-1986, there's a lot more to Dexy's than "C'mon Eileen".

Good to see them being appreciated in this thread with some of their videos.

There doesn't appear to be an official video for "Because of you" but here's the tune anyway:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

I have there first two albums (bought over the last two year). The first album is amazing but Rowlands basically dismantled the whole band for his second offering. Great band. I love Plan B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭keithcan

This is from the excellent third album. And a third different look for the band - the sharp business suits. Some mad lyrics ("scumbags called the CND") but listen to this a few times and it sticks big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Homer: Lisa, did you see the Grammys?
    Lisa: You beat Dexy's Midnight Runners.
    Homer: Well, you haven't heard the last of them.

In all seriousness, a great and very underrated band. Kevin Rowland had a lot of soul!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Great band.

Kevin Stuck up for the Irish in Britain, and, at a time when it wasn't cool to be Irish he wore his heart on his sleeve.

Just listen to "Dance Stance".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

keithcan wrote: »
    Getting over the idea I'm as old as your mum (sure if I am, I am), I wonder where that concert was? I remember being at a DMR concert in early 80s, pretty sure at the Mansion House in Dublin, and it being possibly the best ever I was at. But while I can't recall all details, I'd put it possibly back to 1981.

'pologies, only saw this now.

Just asked her, was in the National Stadium, she doesn't know when. She did reinforce the point that it was a "mindblowingly good" (her words) concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

Superbus wrote: »
    keithcan wrote: »

July 29th 1980 in The Round Room in Dublin's Mansion House - What a gig. 35 years later I still rate it as one of the best I've ever been at.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

they had concerts in the mansion house??

Advertisement