Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When I look back on this....

Options
  • 02-04-2011 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

This logs for me. If anyone takes anything from it thats fine but becoming a non smoker is really something that should be done for oneself. Ive smoked half my existence on earth. Fup sake. So in 5 years time I want to look back on this and say wow remember then.

Day 7 technically cause its saturday. HATE smoking.

Money saved 59.50
    140 cigarettes not smoked.

Feel? Good!

Not as lazy as I once was.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

This logs for me. If anyone takes anything from it thats fine but becoming a non smoker is really something that should be done for oneself. Ive smoked half my existence on earth. Fup sake. So in 5 years time I want to look back on this and say wow remember then.

Day 7 technically cause its saturday. HATE smoking.

Money saved 59.50
    140 cigarettes not smoked.

Feel? Good!

Not as lazy as I once was.:)

Fair play. I was the same myself but cracked today:mad:
    I thought i was over the worst but tried to study for a test i have next week and couldn't concentrate and got all worked up.
    The funny thing is i didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as i thought i would.
    You going cold turkey or something else?
    Best of luck either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Cheers for the support derf. Cold turkey all the way.
    Sorry to hear u had a lapse and gave in. Its not easy. How long did u last?
    I like being a non smoker but my god its so hard at times.

The thing about you not enjoying it and wondering why? That is due to the fact our brain makes us think we enjoy it. Its a thought we have that we like it or need it RATHER than a true feeling of enjoyment like when we have a cold can of coke on a hot day. Now that we do enjoy.
    Smoking tho? ThATS A fake feeling.

Go again tho mate. And instead of starting again just say u started when u did and had 1 lapse?

Cheers for the support derf. Cold turkey all the way.
    Sorry to hear u had a lapse and gave in. Its not easy. How long did u last?
    I like being a non smoker but my god its so hard at times.

The thing about you not enjoying it and wondering why? That is due to the fact our brain makes us think we enjoy it. Its a thought we have that we like it or need it RATHER than a true feeling of enjoyment like when we have a cold can of coke on a hot day. Now that we do enjoy.
    Smoking tho? ThATS A fake feeling.

Go again tho mate. And instead of starting again just say u started when u did and had 1 lapse?

I was off them since last saturday, even turned down a few. I think i managed to talk myself back into it.
    I'm away for a stags next weekend, i sort of knew i'd crack then anyway.
    You're right about the enjoyment being all in the head, once i smoked i couldn't understand why.
    I have the stags next weekend and a test the monday so i might just try and cut down severely and try stopping completely again next tuesday

You have to really want to. If you think it would be better to wait then Do that but set a date maybe? Have u read the easy way to stop? I read it a few years back and stopped for 6 mths (my longest ever)

i CAN RECOMMEND IT. cant read it myself now as ive read it a few times and my brain says it doesnt help FOR ME. I have it in audiobook tho if your too lazy to read? Dunno how id get it to you tho.

You have to really want to. If you think it would be better to wait then Do that but set a date maybe? Have u read the easy way to stop? I read it a few years back and stopped for 6 mths (my longest ever)

i CAN RECOMMEND IT. cant read it myself now as ive read it a few times and my brain says it doesnt help FOR ME. I have it in audiobook tho if your too lazy to read? Dunno how id get it to you tho.

:)That's a coincidence, i'm just after reading it. I had it saved on my computer. Started reading it the other day but got to the bit where it said not to use patches and don't stop till you finish the book and stopped there.
    I just threw the patches out and ran my cigarettes under the tap and threw them out too. I'm so annoyed i cracked because i'm normally stubborn as a mule.
    You were definitely right earlier, I'll just put today down as a lapse. (don't tell anyone about it :D).
    Keep me posted on how you get on.

• Advertisement

Good choice on carrying on derf. You'll feel better for it in a few days.

Day 8
    Money saved 68.00

160 cigarettes not smoked.

Feel? Tired and honestly a bit like i want a smoke

Will I smoke today? No. Theres no point. It will only make me feel sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Fair play to you for giving them up howardmarks.

I consoled myself when I gave up with the knowledge that the physical addiction only lasts 3.5 days (apparently) and after that it's all down to will power (nicorette patches in my case, I used them for 5 days).
    I always focused on the positive, ie: cash saved, and fags not smoked, and took it one day at a time.

Well done! the hardest part for me was the actual stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

have any of you gained weight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I did Fozzydog3.

It still outweighs the badness of smoking.

i STARTED walking loads in the past week. Im definetly eating more but the walking balances it. That and i guess my metabolism burns excess fat quickly anyway so I can eat all day and stay the same. :D
    More energy all round tho and I actually enjoy walking sort of.

I THINK SMOKING STEALS YOUR MOTIVATION. And makes u lazy. You get that back when u stop.

Anyway ta for the support people.

Day eh 9?
    180 cigarettes not smoked
    Feel- Excellent (just dropped the car to be fixed and walked back, nearly 10 km)
    Money saved 76.50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭crazym02

I've been given up for almost 6 months now.

First couple of days were pure hell because I went cold turkey on an 8 year 30-40 a day rollie smoking habit. I had the physical shakes and everything.

Two weeks went by and I started to be able to get through the day, but it was still hell.

First couple of months I was still really craving smokes, especially when out with friends.

But I can truly say, that now I could not start smoking again. I actually have nightmares that I've started smoking again and they're horrible. Don't get me wrong, I still think about smoking again, but just couldn't do it to myself.

For others who are trying to stop, I would recommend:

replace cravings with fruit juice, fresh orange juice etc
    combat cravings with sugar free chewing gum
    remind yourself how healthy you feel and that it's worth it

They were the things that helped me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kieran1141

just to say 5 year on 12th of may without a fag, was 40-60 a day for nearly 30 years, not easy to give them up and to all those that have quit before you know it a few years will have gone bye, wish all of yee the best of luck, some days i realy miss my fag... first 3 weeks are the hardest after that you can do it, its realy good not having to carry that crutch around......BEST OF LUCK..

56 days
    476euro saved(wow)
    1120 cigarettes not smoked

All I can say is the best thing I've done in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Well done Howardmarks!

You are playing a blinder.

Advertisement