Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is collected rainwater ok for a new tank?

Options
  • 02-04-2011 8:23am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a covered rain barrel which we use for washing cars, watering plants etc.

I presume this would be better then tap water.

Still going to cycle the tank and use the test kits. Won't be any fish until it's set up right. Maybe some plants to precede fish.

It's an 80l orca mt50 tank. I'm thinking dark gravel, some plnts. Eventually some neons, assasain snails. Maybe guppies? Want some nice colour. I was thinking of a betta, but read that they eat smaller neons sometimes.

I haven't had fish in about 8 years, so starting afresh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think it would be, bring a small sample to you local fish store and they will test it for you. But unless contaminated with dead leaf bits or something I wouldn't see an issue.

In regards the gravel, have a look at tanks with sand / gravel etc. I had black gravel in mine and decided to switch to white / beige sand as it looked so much better and was better for the plants.

Re neons, take a look at cardinal tetra, more hardy and durable than neons apparently and look very similar. Its what I went with in the end

Advertisement