Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

German league match halted after linesman hit by cup

• 02-04-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Just saw this, if this happened in a PL game - will the ref do the same?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9444162.stm

The German league game between St Pauli and Schalke on Friday was halted in the 88th-minute after a linesman was hit by a plastic cup full of beer.
    Schalke were 2-0 up in the Bundesliga match after goals from Raul and Julian Draxler when referee Deniz Aytekin ordered the teams off the pitch.
    Hosts St Pauli had two players sent off before the cup was thrown.
    "Even in the first half the assistants had been hit by lighters and coins," said Aytekin.
    It is now up to the German football federation and its sports courts to decide on the matter, with Schalke possibly being awarded the win.
    Champions League quarter-finalists Schalke are 10th in the table with 33 points while St Pauli are in the relegation play-off spot.
    "We cannot be punished for this. We were 2-0 up just before the end," said Schalke sports director Horst Heldt.
    St Pauli coach Holger Stanislawski was quick to apologise to assistant referee Thorsten Schiffner, who was struck by the cup.
    "Such scenes are unacceptable. These things should not happen in stadiums. I can only apologise to the assistant in the name of St Pauli," said Stanislawski.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I can only presume they would do the same in the PL, why wouldn't they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If they were going to stop the game then they should have done it in the first half when they were being hit with coins and lighters. Calling it off with 2 minutes to go is a bit stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

No surprise with St Pauli fans. If they cant have things their way they throw a tantrum. I honestly dont understand the love-in people have with these idiots :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Pauleta wrote: »
    No surprise with St Pauli fans. If they cant have things their way they throw a tantrum. I honestly dont understand the love-in people have with these idiots :confused:

A little bit OTT..again :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Pauleta wrote: »

It's not fair though to blame them all just because of a few idiots in their ranks ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement