Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Body cleaning help (My camera body...!)

• 02-04-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

I have somehow obtained a speck of dust, hair, whatever it is, on the inside of my camera body which is affecting all my shots. I know for certain it's not my lenses, as the mark is still there if I have any lens on the body.

So how do I get rid of said mark? I don't really want to go fiddling inside my, er, body... All help gratefully received! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

If it is resting on the surface of the sensor and you have a rocket blower put the camera into manual sensor cleaning mode and blow in.

It would give us a better idea of what it is though if you posted some pictures effected by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

225CAFD816A84FA78FC328BE7A1E89F4-0000323026-0002246439-00800L-2040784B7A16478EA01DA1447FD4E97D.jpg

The mark is plain to see on this pic. So you're saying I should buy a can of compressed air?

Looks like its just a bit of dirt on the sensor. Just take it to a shop to get it cleaned or get a kit yourself and do it but if you dont want to tinker around with it then it's probably best to just bring it into a shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't think compressed air is recommended for sensors. A rocket blower is this, http://www.giottos.com/Rocket-air.htm

Looks like its just a bit of dirt on the sensor. Just take it to a shop to get it cleaned or get a kit yourself and do it but if you dont want to tinker around with it then it's probably best to just bring it into a shop.

OK, thanks very much for that - shop it is, unless anyone in Cork wants to volunteer?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

colblimp wrote: »
    I have somehow obtained a speck of dust, hair, whatever it is, on the inside of my camera body which is affecting all my shots. I know for certain it's not my lenses, as the mark is still there if I have any lens on the body.

So how do I get rid of said mark? I don't really want to go fiddling inside my, er, body... All help gratefully received! :D

Take a picture of a clear blue sky using a small aperture of about f/22 and post it
    here.

I had a similar problem with my Canon 500D. I was able to clear it using a
    simple rubber bulb type of blower.

Effects wrote: »
    I don't think compressed air is recommended for sensors. A rocket blower is this, http://www.giottos.com/Rocket-air.htm

I second that rocket blower, they are dead handy, I use mine all the time in repairs.

hbr wrote: »
    Take a picture of a clear blue sky using a small aperture of about f/22 and post it
    here.

I had a similar problem with my Canon 500D. I was able to clear it using a
    simple rubber bulb type of blower.

But I've posted a pic in which the mark is clearly visible...

Those rocket blowers look dead handy, are they widely available?

Actually hbr has a point, if you take the shot at f/22 the dust spot or hair will be more in focus and you will be able to tell if it is a hair or piece or dust easier.
    A hair should blow right off and if there is dust that size on the sensor it most likely isn't going to stick but then again you never know so a rocket blower might not work but they are so handy for lenses etc... to get rid of dust and debris so even if it requires a wet/dry clean you will still have a very handy tool.

The Giotto's rocket blowers should be pretty widely available but I found a great site in germany that I order my cleaning stuff from and they are pretty handy. www.micro-tools.de (they accept paypal also if you email or ring they will sort you out)

hope this helps.

But I've posted a pic in which the mark is clearly visible...

You beat me to it :)

I still think a clear sky at f/22 would be a better test. You could use this
    image for before/after testing when you are cleaning the sensor.
    Those rocket blowers look dead handy, are they widely available?

I don't have a 'proper' Rocket Blower. Mine is a smaller blower from
    a cheap Hama cleaning kit I bought from the Sam McCauley chemist
    shop in Mahon Point. I have seen bigger/better blowers for sale in the
    camera shops on Oliver Plunkett St.

You can borrow mine if you like. I'm in Cork City near MP shopping centre.

Don't use a tin of compressed air. You are likely to blow the propellant
    or other contaminants onto the sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I went into Cork City today and asked how much to clean my sensor. When I was told €15, I thought "sod that", bought a cheap blower (€4) and tried it myself. Hey presto - it worked! I'm now the proud owner of a dust free camera!!

Thanks to everyone for your help. :D

I went into Cork City today and asked how much to clean my sensor. When I was told €15, I thought "sod that", bought a cheap blower (€4) and tried it myself. Hey presto - it worked! I'm now the proud owner of a dust free camera!!

Thanks to everyone for your help. :D

Glad you got it sorted. €15 is quite cheap for a wet clean. €4 for a
    new blower is even better value.

Advertisement