Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours...

Options
  • 02-04-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Right, so i have the old problem of noisy neighbours. There is only two apartments on our floor (top floor) and both owned by the same landlord. I have lived there not even a month and I'm getting annoyed with it already because the music next door plays, loud enough to hear it in my home and the vibrations in my sofa!!! Its just THUMP THUMP THUMP.

It doesnt happen all the time, but enough to annoy me. Iv spoken to the letting agent, and it has stopped for about 3 days, but it started at 9am this morning. I cant really put up with it if its not going to stop permanently, and I'm thinking I want to leave. I have a years lease, so im unsure what action to take.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

did you try to approach your neighbour directly? it's normally always better to talk to the people directly first, before involving the LL/agency.

It's then a face to face situation where you can address your point in a polite but clearly manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

tara73 wrote: »
    did you try to approach your neighbour directly? it's normally always better to talk to the people directly first, before involving the LL/agency.

It's then a face to face situation where you can address your point in a polite but clearly manner.

Iv said it to the girl who lives there...but she kind of just shrugged her shoulders...And after i talked to the LA, she said she doesnt want any trouble between neighbours and to leave it to her. But I cant relax in my own home!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

If the noise continues then as a last resort you can take them to the District Court for a noise abatement order. The procedure (if you live in the Dublin City Council area) is outlined here.

In your situation I would go back to the landlord/agency and try again to resolve things through them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 celticsparkles

I am having a huge problem with my neighbour. Every Saturday night there is a party. Kicks off around 1/2am and goes until about 7/8am. Last nights party continued until 11.30 this morning.

Its a terraced house and the neighbours on the other side of my own can hear the music THROUGH my own house. I sleep in the boxroom every Saturday wearing earplugs and still can't get any sleep.

I have exacerbated an illness (five months after moving here) which leads to seizures if I am fatigued or overly stressed. I was in Hospital for eight days with a the first and major attack. I am currently attending Hospital (having never needed to attend before-EVER) and having serious problems at work due to absenteeism. I am usually unwell for about two days after. Regular folk might just be tired, I am major fatigued to the point of being unable to drive the next day or do basic chores like cooking. My shorterm memory is affected also, as is my speech when I have a particularly bad attack. I have been placed on anti-seizure meds, also the first time ever despite having this illness since I was a child.

We had resorted to booking into a local hotel every Saturday at the cost of 60e. this added 240e to my monthly expenditure and basically onto my mortgage! I can no longer afford to do this, and try to arrange an overnight stay with family or friends.

My partner cannot bring his two children to the house on Sat nights as per his agreement with his ex wife. We all agreed that it was best for him to go over, babysit and come home. Obviously, this suits no one. He misses them on the one morning a week he could have breakfast with them.

They are not generally the type of folk one could approach with this matter. They are clearly adults, a similar age as myself, and obviously CHOOSE to do this with no regard for others.

Believe it or not I have Hospital tests on Tuesday morning for which I have to stay awake for 24 hours. A sleep deprived EEG. Great! Pity it wasn't today though. I need to sleep as long as I can tonight which is why I have not slept this afternoon. I am typing this with my eyes literally stinging trying to stay awake. I am going back over every word, as my spelling is brutal due to poor concentration, so please excuse any typos.

I would love to blast my music all night on Monday. Let them get a taste of their own medicine. However, being the conscientious person that I am, I would not inflict that upon my neighbours on the other side. They do not deserve my lack of regard or respect.

Sigh.

I have read the above Link. Thank you for supplying it. So far, despite contacting the Gardai and the Council, no one seemed to know what to do!

Hopefully I will can action and get a decent result. Obviously my goal is to move as soon as I can. Thanks so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are your neighbours renting or owners? That will have a large impact on how easy it is to deal with the issue. If it's rented you can take a case against the owner to the PRTB...if the problem house is owner occupied you will have to work through your council to try to get a noise abatement order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

With so many places available to rent surely ye could find somewhere quiet? My cousin had this problem when studying for her med exams in Galway and nothing got done despite going through all the correct channels. She eventually had to move out. Her neighbours began playing tricks on her after her third complaint, stupid stuff but enough to upset her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

With so many places available to rent surely ye could find somewhere quiet? My cousin had this problem when studying for her med exams in Galway and nothing got done despite going through all the correct channels. She eventually had to move out. Her neighbours began playing tricks on her after her third complaint, stupid stuff but enough to upset her.

This poster owns their property, no renting from what I gather.

Advertisement