Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a router to replace Eircom Zyxel

• 02-04-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our netopia broke down recently and we're having the Zyxel delivered on Monday. It might be premature but having read the awful things people have to say about it on here I suspect I'll be replacing it pretty quickly.

Can anyone advise me on the best router/modem that will do the same job as my old Netopia?

Ta.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

brophs wrote: »
    Hi,

Our netopia broke down recently and we're having the Zyxel delivered on Monday. It might be premature but having read the awful things people have to say about it on here I suspect I'll be replacing it pretty quickly.

Can anyone advise me on the best router/modem that will do the same job as my old Netopia?

Ta.

It would be helpful to give a little more information as to where you want to go from here.

For example do you want to get an N standard model to give you more future options? Is your line quality good or a bit iffy if the latter then Netgears can be good in that situation etc etc. And most importantly how much do you want to spend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

dub45 wrote: »
    It would be helpful to give a little more information as to where you want to go from here.

For example do you want to get an N standard model to give you more future options? Is your line quality good or a bit iffy if the latter then Netgears can be good in that situation etc etc. And most importantly how much do you want to spend?

Cheers dub. Sorry, I'm not much of an expert of this sort of stuff.

Not too bothered about it being fancy/having lots of options. I don't really know anything about the different types (N/G etc). I really just want a solid, reliable router/modem that won't drop in and out like the Zyxel apparently does.

The line quality is fine, as far as I'm aware. We have 8mb NGB which has been working well.

Again, no budget to speak of, once it's reliable. I guess under a €100 is reasonable?

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 steve_cass

Thanks Steve. I ended up getting the router you recommended for €45 in Argos (down from €70, from memory).

With some very quick settings found here (thanks for that) I had it up and running in minutes. The wireless signal is consistenly full bars (on the Zyxel it was down at 2 bars when 12 feet away) and there are no nasty disconnects as with the Zyxel.

The difference is night and day. This is how a router should work. I can't stress how strongly I'd advise people having trouble with the Zyxel to bite the bullet and invest in one of these.

Just a shame Eircom continue to supply that piece of junk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement