Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - Likes & Dislikes

Options
  • 02-04-2011 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30 StudentXY

Hey guys,

I am doing a project for college and on Ryanair and I was wondering if you could tell me what you like and dislike about Ryanair; or could you answer some of the questions below.

1) would you rather fly with Aer Lingus? why is this?

2) have you ever had a bad experience with Ryanair? what happened? how was it dealt?

3) have you ever made a complaint to Ryanair? how was it dealt?

4) how many would normally travel in your party when flying with Ryanair?

5) what is your opinion of the €2 charge per passenger to all bookings from this monday to pay for the cost of flight cancellations & delays, for example last years ash cloud

6) do you like Ryanair's website, do you feel it is user friendly and easy to navigate?

7) for your next flight who do you feel you are going to fly with next and why?

8) Does Michael O’Leary as Ryanair’s Spokesperson influence your perception of Ryanair?

Thanks so much for your help. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

8) Stephen McNamara is Ryanairs spokesperson actually, though O'Leary is undoubtedly the gobbiest.

Personally, if AL are within €40 of a Ryanair price, I'll go with AL, though they too are a long way off full service airline standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

2) have you ever had a bad experience with Ryanair? what happened? how was it dealt?

5) what is your opinion of the €2 charge per passenger to all bookings from this monday to pay for the cost of flight cancellations & delays, for example last years ash cloud

6) do you like Ryanair's website, do you feel it is user friendly and easy to navigate?

8) Does Michael O’Leary as Ryanair’s Spokesperson influence your perception of Ryanair?
    1.) depends solely on price...no preference for anything.

2.)flight from nantes to dublin got delayed by hour and half, got told by gate staff the expected length of delay. When flight came pilot apologised...delayed at an airport earlier in the day. Had no problem with it, it happens

3.)Nope..after 22 flights with them :D

4.) normally 4-5

5.) Airlines have to make the cost of it back somehow. im sure other airlines have put up prices of other things to cover the costs

6.) Have no issues with it personally.

7.) Ryanair...company booked it. My next choice flight will be the airline that offers the cheapest price

8.) Nope..think the man is a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The thing that really pisses me off about ryanairs website is that it wont update the return month even after you enter the outbound month.
    example: you choose to fly out in july. the retun month on aer lingus website will immediately change to july, yet ryanair wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

StudentXY wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I am doing a project for college and on Ryanair and I was wondering if you could tell me what you like and dislike about Ryanair; or could you answer some of the questions below.

1) I have no particular preference, although Aer Lingus flights tend to be more comfortable. I will always go with the cheapest option,regardless of the airline.

2) They changed my flight times and notified me by email. It didnt suit me (cut a day off my holiday). It gave me the option of changing the flight online but in doing so was trying to charge me €140 for the privledge. Because I obviously wasnt going to pay that, I had to call a call centre to change my flight, where I was left on hold for over an hour. Costly! The ticket desk in Dublin Airport couldnt help me. I finally got through to somebody who needed credit card details for some reason, which I didnt have to hand so he couldnt process my request. Called back the next day and got through to somebody fairly quickly, who didnt need the card details (?) even though I had them at this stage, and changed it free of charge in a matter of seconds. Rigmaroll as the mammy would say.

3) No, never made a complaint.

4) Various. Anything from 2-6 usually.

5) I dont like the €2 charge, but sure its a minor fare and they seem to add costs for every lil thing so go for it, its not gonna stop me flying with them.

6) The websites fine, but like an above poster I do find the fact that they dont automatically update your departing month a little frustrating because obviously you are not going to come back before leaving on a return flight!b

7) My next flight is booked with Ryanair because it was €100 cheaper than the same thing with Aer Lingus.

8) Michael O'Leary is comedy gold and after Neil Delameres gags about him, I can only be thankful that he is around for my amusement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I wont fly Ryanair unless there is absolutely no alternative.

Lets not forget that O'Leary is an anti-union fanatic running an anti-union airline.

It is also an airline that has forced down standards of service for everyone else, including Aer Lingus.

I would favour new laws to require airlines to include 1 piece of hold luggage in the ticket price, and would ban Aer Lingus from charging for advance choice of seat.

Sorry if this doesnt quite answer your questionnaire, but it is what I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

1) would you rather fly with Aer Lingus? why is this? Yes i would. Because i dont like the attitude of michael o leary. He is a complete moran Having said that. I would fly ryanair if the jouney was a lot cheaper.

2) have you ever had a bad experience with Ryanair? what happened? how was it dealt? Nope.

3) have you ever made a complaint to Ryanair? how was it dealt? No

4) how many would normally travel in your party when flying with Ryanair?2-4 or 6

5) what is your opinion of the €2 charge per passenger to all bookings from this monday to pay for the cost of flight cancellations & delays, for example last years ash cloud I think michael o leary is a moran. He spends ages preaching about the tourist tax and feels the need to charge his own. Complete moran

6) do you like Ryanair's website, do you feel it is user friendly and easy to navigate? Its ok. Do you want to hire a car

7) for your next flight who do you feel you are going to fly with next and why? I always try fly aerlingus simply because i do not like michael o leary

8) Does Michael O’Leary as Ryanair’s Spokesperson influence your perception of Ryanair? Yeah he is a moran

Your welcome michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Hey guys,

I choose whichever one is cheapest as long as both airlines fly to the same airport

Nope

Nope

1 or 2

Not happy about it but i'll still choose whichever airline is cheaper over all

Only used it a few times but never had a problem

Etihad, longhaul

I like him, he runs a great business and doesn't seem to care what people think of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Hey guys,

1) No. Aer Lingus is generally more expensive.

2) Nothing disastrous, but lots of minor stuff.

I've ordered food which has been over-priced and arrives 10 minutes before I have to get off the plane.

The continuous announcements marketing their wine, raffle tickets, smokeless cigarettes:D, etc. I'm going to try earplugs next time but I can foresee an objection based on "safety" if I can't hear the serious sh$te from the captain.

Forcing you to cram all your stuff into one piece of hand luggage as you queue for the plane - being treated like primary school children.

Not letting me away with 2kg over on hold luggage - I know they're not obliged to, but most other airlines would have let that go.

They once charged me 40 euro for failing to check in online more than 4 hours before the flight. (3hrs 50 mins is NOT good enough).

Being charged a ridiculous fee to change a flight time to a flight that was actually cheaper. If your new flight is more expensive, they charge you the difference on top of this, however if your new flight is less expensive, no credit will be made.

The barrage of crap you have to navigate to make a booking - do you want accommodation, special ryanair suitcases, hire a car etc.?

The administration fee to claim tax back when you don't fly is too high imo. How hard is it to credit my card? A couple of seconds work.

The fact that they try to find loopholes to get around the fact that the headline price is supposed to include all taxes and charges e.g. there is an administration charge if you fly one-way. This is technically optional as you could book a return flight. They used to do something similar with the online check-in but I think they stopped. They were classing it as an optional charge when it was an online check-in only flight. You had the "option" of turning up at the airport and paying 40 euros.

The amount of emails they send me. Fair enough I should never have ticked the box and can unsubscribe if it bothers me that much.

The fact that it takes them ages to answer the phone. They seem to be permanently experiencing an unusually high volume of calls. Contradiction in terms.

3) No. I'm extremely patient.

4) One

5) Business have to cover their costs. I can actually understand that one.

6) It's reasonably easy to use. There is too much advertising that you are forced to read.

7) Ryanair - after everything, they will be the cheapest.

8) No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Always fly Aer lingus reguardless of cost
    1.central airports
    2.not much difference in the price
    3.far more friendly staff
    4.planes are more comforable
    5.not a fan of michael o leary and his race to the bottom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 StudentXY

Some more questions if you could help me....

1)Has anyone found themselves flying with Ryanair more due to recent times? i.e. the recession?

2) How often would you fly with Ryanair per year?

3) Would you fly with Ryanair for business or pleasure purposes more so?

4) What would be your main deterring factor for flying with Ryanair?

5) Would you feel that Aer Lingus staff are more accomodating and friendly compared to Ryanair staff?

Again any information that you can give me would be a huge help!

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do I recall Michael O'Leary saying he would'nt pay to conduct market research? I wonder how he does it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

1)Has anyone found themselves flying with Ryanair more due to recent times? i.e. the recession?
    No, I went for the cheapest before the recession and do the same now

3-4 times

Pleasure

Ridiculous airports they fly to to, Prestwick is not Glasgow! Same for Paris and Frankfurt.
    I want to fly in peace, stop try to sell this useless crap like scratchcards and cigarettes.

5) Would you feel that Aer Lingus staff are more accomodating and friendly compared to Ryanair staff?
    Yes. Aer Lingus are not perfect but last flight I was on we sat on the tarmac for 40 minutes. But the pilot gave us all a very detailed technical explanation of what happened and that was pretty cool. That's enough for me to forgive the delay.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Always fly Aer lingus reguardless of cost
    1.central airports
    Not always true
    2.not much difference in the price
    I booked a flight next week and got it nearly a €100 cheaper than if I flew the same route with aer lingus
    3.far more friendly staff
    Orange faces are all the same on nearly all airlines its only when you fly first class do you notice a difference in the customer service.
    4.planes are more comforable
    Sorry but that is bull most airlines use the same frigin planes.

5.not a fan of michael o leary and his race to the bottom.
    The man does tend to piss me off but I cant but help admire his ability gain free publicity at a whim. Also his stance on unions is something the government should take notice of.

BTW I use both airlines and often easy jet as well. I go with whoever is cheapest because the service off all of them is the same. The website is very easy to use no complications what so ever. The people who give out about charges like 40euro for not checking in online, going over the allowed weight of their bags or turning up late for a flight and the charges that come with it have nobody to blame but themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

1) Not really more due to the recession - I was a student up until the recession so I was always price sensitive.

2) Counting a return as 2, then 20.

3) Pleasure

4) A cheaper airline or them not servicing the route if long haul.

5) Aer lingus staff probably are more friendly, but I think friendliness is overrated. What I care about is the effect on my wallet and whether or not they generally make my life awkward. Once they don't actively p$ss me off, I don't really care whether they wish me a pleasant flight or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭9_Iron

1) All things being equal, yes (although I did boycott AL for a year after the Shannon-Heathrow route was jettisoned).
    Not having to queue for a seat and the more comfortable onboard experience (especially the seats) are the main reasons why.

However, if Ryanair are circa 50% cheaper (which they often are), I'll happily go with them.

2) Nothing worse than a hour/90 minutes delay on a flight. Grin and bear it in those cases!

3) No

4) Usually just me

5) Needs must: I'd imagine most airlines will just add it to their base fares. You'd be tempted to ask why Ryanair feel the need to make such a big song and dance about it, but that's what they do, isn't it.....

6) For booking flights/online check-in, it's fairly straightforward to use.

7) Flying a long-distance route, so Ryanair won't come into the reckoning.
    Will be doing a UK flight not long after that and, price dependent, I will likely be back on O'Leary-lines for that.

8) I try not to pay much attention to what he says, if I'm honest. I'm interested in his product, not his proclamations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

From my experience with Ryanair, they tend to land about 100km from where I intend on going so I would budget an extra €40 return for bus journey.

I've never had a problem with Ryaniar as I've never expected the royal treatment. You get what you pay for.

No, as Ryanair aren't always the cheapest and don't always fly to where I want to go.

About 10 flights per year

Hmm, Ryanair and pleasure.......
    Can I say for leisure purposes, instead?

Price. If they are not a good bit cheaper than the alternative, I won't choose them.

On balance, yes. I've found that you are more likely to encounter a moody/shouty member of staff on a Ryanair flight.
    On the other hand, I doubt an Aer Lingus cabin crew calendar would compare favourably with the Ryanair one (if that's not too un-PC a comment :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I always fly with Ryanair because of cost and I've never had a problem so far. The only thing I hate about flying with them is the looooong walk to and from the plane. And the fact that you can only get a luggage trolley after you've done that walk and carried your bags all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Primarily because of the routes I need, given an option it would depend on how long the flight would take - short flights I'd not mind ryanair though the service is better on aer lingus imo.

Delayed flight and once we arrived in the airport the luggage took forever to be taken off the plane. While this was an annoyance, people with connecting flights missed them and Ryanair were unwilling to help them out.

Nope, never had the personal discomfort so bad that I complained. Mainly based on a feeling of you get what you pay for.

Paying for someone elses screwups.. sounds rather Irish.

It gets the job done, but could be a lot better.

Will be going Aer Lingus for the long flight and route.

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Joeythelips infracted for foul language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Student wrote: »
    Hey guys,

1 No particular choice go by the cheapest fare which is usually Ra by far.

2 No never had a problem....yet

3 Same as above

4 2 adults

5 Another way for ryanair to make money,its what they do best.

6 Dont have a problem with it

7 Ra its down to the financial cost for me

8 Cant fault the man he has done wonders with that airline,you would have to admire him,imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If it was cheaper.
    Slight delay. Ended up being an hour but was in fog in Dublin and was less than other Airlines.
    Had no reason to.
    Flown 2 return flights, first with 2 people, sedond time with 1.
    I'd hate it if it brought it up to being more expensive than other airlines
    Yes
    Whoever's cheapest. Up til now it looks like it'll be Ryanair.
    No. Thought I think he's the perfect media whore. And I don't use "whore" in a bad way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I prefer flying Aer Lingus, it may cost a bit extra but I consider it worth it as Aer Lingus are a more normal airline, assigned ticketing and avoiding the crush helps!

Never had a bad experience, despite everything you read!

No need to see above.

Usually 2

More typical Ryanair boll*cksology, we don't see normal airlines doing this or even the likes of Easyjet, just another reason to avoid them.

It works for me, I really hate that Aer Lingus airport selector they have on aerlingus.com

Probably Aer Lingus, to access Heathrow for an onward connection, or else Lufthansa.

I consider him unlikeable and things like the €2 are typical of Ryanairs feckless attitude, that and not flying to proper destinations like Prague. Dropping routes because they expect some diva like status.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Depends on cost, no other reason matters for such short trips

Flight cancelled once, money refunded within a week

No

Not interested, don't care about wheelchair charge/on-line check in etc etc all that matters is the final cost

Reasonably so, could be improved somewhat but provides it's basic service and I'm well used to it

Aer Lingus because it's transatlantic, next flight after that is with RyanAir because they're over €400 cheaper compared to AL

No influence, cost is the influence

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

No.

No,

No.

Solo

5) what is your opinion of the €2 charge per passenger to all bookings from this monday to pay for the cost of flight cancellations & delays, for example last years ash cloud.
    No problem for me. If I fly return DUB-Madrid for €35, I don't expect them to pay for a hotel for 3 or 4 days, Ash cloud. I actually did get stuck in Madrid and only claimed refund for ticket.

Colour scheme a bit too loud, otherwise fine.

Always Ryanair, even though a reason to check AL would be for friendlier departure and arrival times.

Yes, if all Ryanair staff were as rude and smartassed as him, I don't think I would get on the plane.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Well, this thread proves that a lot of Irish people are happy to let themselves be treated like cattle as long as they can save a bob or 2.

It has shades of the way British Rail/Sealink treated us on the boat and train back in the 1960s and 1970s - and we put up with the same sort of s***e then!

Plus ca change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

no. price versus airport location wins these days.

no.

no.

2-4

if the prices are still cheaper than everyone else fair enough. whether they display it as a separate charge or included in the price it matters not.
    the total price is what i will judge.

it's good enough for what it does. beats the annoying aer lingus country popup anyway.

whoever is cheaper. i'll probably check the ryanair website first though.

it doesn't make me hate them if that's what you mean. it's an added bit of entertainment if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hey guys,

1) I rather fly with Aer Lingus as they fly to where I want to go to, have a better luggage allowance, and have a more personal touch about them.

2) No. Have only flown with them a few times.

3) No.

4) Last flight there was 5 of us.

5) Suppose they hav to make it back some how. What with all their additional charges, another €2 wont make much different.

6) Only problem with the ryanair website is the number of steps and pages you have to though to book.

7) Next flight is with Easyjet, suits our needs better.

8) Doesn't influence my perception of Ryanair at all. Only of him.

Well, this thread proves that a lot of Irish people are happy to let themselves be treated like cattle as long as they can save a bob or 2.

It has shades of the way British Rail/Sealink treated us on the boat and train back in the 1960s and 1970s - and we put up with the same sort of s***e then!

Plus ca change.

Interesting perspective.
    I've never felt like I've been treated sub-humanly on a Ryanair flight, but perhaps I've just been lucky?

Ryanair staff can be brusque (and probably more often than other airlines), but shop assistants, waitresses, bank clerks etc can all act up from time to time as well, and I'm willing to cut them some slack usually.
    God knows, if I had to do a Ryanair cabin attendant's job over a period of time, I'd have trouble keeping a smile on my face everyday too - they must have to deal with some right tools.

I'm a bit young to remember the BR/Sealink stuff: could you enlighten us about what used to happen then and how it compares to Ryanair?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

9_Iron wrote: »
    Interesting perspective.
    I've never felt like I've been treated sub-humanly on a Ryanair flight, but perhaps I've just been lucky?

Ryanair staff can be brusque (and probably more often than other airlines), but shop assistants, waitresses, bank clerks etc can all act up from time to time as well, and I'm willing to cut them some slack usually.
    God knows, if I had to do a Ryanair cabin attendant's job over a period of time, I'd have trouble keeping a smile on my face everyday too - they must have to deal with some right tools.

I'm a bit young to remember the BR/Sealink stuff: could you enlighten us about what used to happen then and how it compares to Ryanair?
    Without dragging the thread totally OT, the whole scenario with Sealink and the Train was that the ferry docked and the foot passengers were literally herded from the boat, through shedsand onto rolling stock that wouldnt have been out of place on the railway between the ghettos of Poland and Auschwitz.

I seem to recall the ferry was little more than a floating pub and duty free and if the sea was in any way rough, you'd get to see brekkie again!

One of my worst holiday memories. Ryanair could never be that bad!

Advertisement