Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - Likes & Dislikes

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭9_Iron

Without dragging the thread totally OT, the whole scenario with Sealink and the Train was that the ferry docked and the foot passengers were literally herded from the boat, through shedsand onto rolling stock that wouldnt have been out of place on the railway between the ghettos of Poland and Auschwitz.

I seem to recall the ferry was little more than a floating pub and duty free and if the sea was in any way rough, you'd get to see brekkie again!

One of my worst holiday memories. Ryanair could never be that bad!

Yikes!
    What a way to start (or finish) a holiday.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Replies inline . . .
    StudentXY wrote: »
    1) would you rather fly with Aer Lingus? why is this?
    Preference is based on a combination of price, flight times, airport location, holiday location, transfer times, etc . . . I flew with Ryanair to Luton or Stansted for something like €5 per person on a Leinster match Friday evening and got a limo down to Twickenham and still saved money and hassle over any of the other routes into London that weekend. Flew to Berlin on Friday with EI and flew home yesterday with FR. Time & price were better with EI on Friday, time & price were better with FR on Monday.

2) have you ever had a bad experience with Ryanair? what happened? how was it dealt?
    Nope, at least not that I remember.

3) have you ever made a complaint to Ryanair? how was it dealt?
    Nope.

4) how many would normally travel in your party when flying with Ryanair?
    2 adults or 2 adults & 2 children,

5) what is your opinion of the €2 charge per passenger to all bookings from this monday to pay for the cost of flight cancellations & delays, for example last years ash cloud
    Doesn't matter whether it's a charge for tyre-changing, flight cancellations, wheelchair provision, staff biro supply. All I care about is the bottom line price (and the other factors in 1 above) not what the breakdown of the bottom line is made up of.

6) do you like Ryanair's website, do you feel it is user friendly and easy to navigate?
    Yes.

7) for your next flight who do you feel you are going to fly with next and why?
    Next "flight" is by boat to Wales. We looked at the various flight options and both EI & FR would have charged us about €350-€400 to get about an hour from where we wanted to be. We went with Stena for ~€250 return with cabin (even though it's only a 3 hour sailing from Rosslare)

8) Does Michael O’Leary as Ryanair’s Spokesperson influence your perception of Ryanair?
    Yes, I don't like him. But it won't stop me flying with them.

More replies inline . . .
    1)Has anyone found themselves flying with Ryanair more due to recent times? i.e. the recession?
    Nope, see answer above - flight decision would always have been a combination of price, time & transfer to ultimate destination.

2) How often would you fly with Ryanair per year?
    2-3 returns per year

3) Would you fly with Ryanair for business or pleasure purposes more so?
    Not sure what the question is. I travel the the US for business so FR are never going to work for me there.

4) What would be your main deterring factor for flying with Ryanair?
    More likely to end up in one of those funny holding pens with 30 seats, standing room for 100 people and 150 people squeezed in waiting for their plane.

5) Would you feel that Aer Lingus staff are more accomodating and friendly compared to Ryanair staff?
    Nope.

Other points -
    FR are much more likely to have your luggage (if you have any) off the plane and ready to go than EI due to their tight turn around times. Yesterday, coming home from Berlin the bags had already been around the carousel by the time I got to it and I was about 10th off the plane.

FR are more likely to get their planes away in marginal weather or operating conditions. Travelling to London some time back (must have been December) there were flights cancelled left, right & centre due to de-icing delays in Dublin airport. EI cancelled loads of their flights around lunchtime, FR got theirs away. Similar experience in other conditions (fog, etc . . .)

I do not want to end up in the back end of nowhere with no alternative routings home when FR can't get a plane into it at 2300 some night, so I would be wary of late night flights home from out of the way airports with them.

Mrs Zag will be flying home from France/Spain later this summer - we were in a position to choose which airport we wanted to fly from and which day, so I checked every single route combination between EI & FR and the other carriers that covered the area from Santander up the Atlantic coast as far as Paris. In all cases EI were significantly cheaper (for flights in July) than FR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Ryanair treat people like cattle because they use cattle-prods. Passengers are penalised for paying with the wrong card. They are penalised for not printing out their boarding passes. They are penalised for checking in too late. They have to rush to get good seats. In other words, a Ryanair passenger must do exactly as he or she is told.

BR/Sealink ran grossly overcrowded boat trains on the Euston/Holyhead route, and didnt seem to care. It was all a bit like WW2.

There is no real concept of "good seats" on a short haul European flight other than maybe the very front ones with a little more leg room and the overwing exit ones. There are 'good seats' on buses too, but the 'bad seats' have no impact on whether you get where you are going to. The seats are not uncomfortable for most people of average stature.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Some more questions if you could help me....

1)Has anyone found themselves flying with Ryanair more due to recent times? i.e. the recession?

5) Would you feel that Aer Lingus staff are more accomodating and friendly compared to Ryanair staff?

Again any information that you can give me would be a huge help!

Thanks again :)

1) No

2) less than one

3) Have only ever flown pleasure. Had to make one flight for a family emergency, the cheapest and most convient at time was Easyjet, had it been Ryanair would have made do with them.

4) Herded on to the plane, the crush for seats, smaller luggage allowance, everything into one bag for hand luggage then size and weight limitations. Flying is not a relaxing experience with them.

5) Yes, they take the time to present customer service.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

No not necessarily, I fly a good bit with both Ryanair and Aer Lingus

2) have you ever had a bad experience with Ryanair? what happened? how was it dealt?
    Yes, a very very snotty foul humoured female member of the Ryanair staff at the boarding gate demanded that I check my carry on case in the frame to make sure its regulation size, no problem, its fitted no problem and that was fine. Not good enough for her though, then she demanded that I put my coat and a plastic bag in which I had a sandwich and a bottle of water in too.. I was like, no sorry, I am not putting my coat into the case as every other person boarding either has a coat on them or carrying them and the sandwich will be sitting on my lap as I intend on eating it. She was about to start on me and I was ready to get stuck into her when her companion stepped in and informed me it was fine and to go ahead.

I tried twice and both were effectively ignored.

Normally 2

5) what is your opinion of the €2 charge per passenger to all bookings from this monday to pay for the cost of flight cancellations & delays, for example last years ash cloud
    Its a pure scam, they have huge cash reserves, rarely if ever offer dividends to shareholders and its just another way to add another charge onto their tickets which are no longer as cheap as they used to be and I have found other flagship carriers cheaper than Ryanair on numerous routes.

6) do you like Ryanair's website, do you feel it is user friendly and easy to navigate?
    It used to be fairly good, but now its full of pointless advertisements and turning into a free for all, losing its appeal and not very pleasing to the eyes.

My next flight is with Ryanair, my next 3 after that are with Aer Lingus as were cheaper than Ryanair on all routes and that didnt included baggage which I didnt require on 2 but got it anyway with Aer Lingus.

8) Does Michael O’Leary as Ryanair’s Spokesperson influence your perception of Ryanair?

O'Leary does a good job of keeping Ryanair in the news. He's mouthy and far from reserved but if it wasnt for him, Ryanair wouldnt be what they are today, a very large, very successful and very profitable airline.

Ryanair are like Marmite, you either love em or hate em. I don't mind flying with them, but some of their staff need a lesson in customer service and an attitude adjustment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Nope. not really, I travel abroad 5-6 times a year so whoever is handiest, I'll fly with.

A minimum of 3-4 return flights a year.

Pleasure usually.

Prices are more expensive than other carriers

Most definitely, more professional, more friendly and more accommodating. Ryanair staff probably do put up with a lot more crap but they shouldn't assume everyone is going to give them crap or abuse..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 haus

Yes. I believe the customer service and overall flight experience is superior.

Nothing that sticks out in particular. I think a lot of my problem with ryanair is that I'm afraid one day I'll fall victim to one of the many ryanair "horror story" scenarios.

Nope, I've never had the need to.

I can understand their reasoning behind wanting to earn the money back, but charging customers for something that could be classed as an "Act Of God" is ridiculous and is only going to anger/deter people even further.

I prefer ryanair's website to aer lingus' one. It feels pretty easy to get around.

Probably ryanair, if it's short haul. I can do small doses. :)

Not particularly, I don't think it'd matter to me who was in the papers about ryanair. It's the behaviour of the company as a whole that's important.

Part 2

Yes, definitely.

Probably 3/4 times, max.

Pleasure, my work doesn't really take me abroad.

All of the horror stories about how paying customers were treated.

Yes, flying with aer lingus always feels like such a more friendly experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 StudentXY

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    No not necessarily, I fly a good bit with both Ryanair and Aer Lingus

Yes, a very very snotty foul humoured female member of the Ryanair staff at the boarding gate demanded that I check my carry on case in the frame to make sure its regulation size, no problem, its fitted no problem and that was fine. Not good enough for her though, then she demanded that I put my coat and a plastic bag in which I had a sandwich and a bottle of water in too.. I was like, no sorry, I am not putting my coat into the case as every other person boarding either has a coat on them or carrying them and the sandwich will be sitting on my lap as I intend on eating it. She was about to start on me and I was ready to get stuck into her when her companion stepped in and informed me it was fine and to go ahead.

I tried twice and both were effectively ignored.

Normally 2

Its a pure scam, they have huge cash reserves, rarely if ever offer dividends to shareholders and its just another way to add another charge onto their tickets which are no longer as cheap as they used to be and I have found other flagship carriers cheaper than Ryanair on numerous routes.

It used to be fairly good, but now its full of pointless advertisements and turning into a free for all, losing its appeal and not very pleasing to the eyes.

My next flight is with Ryanair, my next 3 after that are with Aer Lingus as were cheaper than Ryanair on all routes and that didnt included baggage which I didnt require on 2 but got it anyway with Aer Lingus.

O'Leary does a good job of keeping Ryanair in the news. He's mouthy and far from reserved but if it wasnt for him, Ryanair wouldnt be what they are today, a very large, very successful and very profitable airline.

Ryanair are like Marmite, you either love em or hate em. I don't mind flying with them, but some of their staff need a lesson in customer service and an attitude adjustment.

Could you tell me in relation to Q3 what were the complaints you made in relation to, and how did you make them i.e. on the phone or in person

thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 haus

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

1) would you rather fly with Aer Lingus? why is this? Whatever's cheapest, price always wins. In saying that as I've heard the Ryanair staff are treated badly and the fact that Aer Lingus gives frequent flyer miles I would prefer to fly Aer Lingus in the case where the prices are the same for both airline.

2) have you ever had a bad experience with Ryanair? what happened? how was it dealt? Nope.

3) have you ever made a complaint to Ryanair? how was it dealt? No.

4) how many would normally travel in your party when flying with Ryanair?Between 1 and 3 people (mostly I fly solo).

5) what is your opinion of the €2 charge per passenger to all bookings from this monday to pay for the cost of flight cancellations & delays, for example last years ash cloudHonestly I can see his point. It doesn't seem fair that they have to cover costs for customers that bought a 20 euro ticket or something. For those that bought tickets for 100+ euro, then they should really get something.

6) do you like Ryanair's website, do you feel it is user friendly and easy to navigate?It looks kinda cheap. As somebody said how the return date doesn't ever change from today's date is pretty annoying.

7) for your next flight who do you feel you are going to fly with next and why?I live in Barcelona. My next flight is to go home at Easter which is with Aer Lingus, as they were cheaper. My return flight to Barcelona is with Ryanair, as it was cheaper. Again price is always to the most important for me.

8) Does Michael O’Leary as Ryanair’s Spokesperson influence your perception of Ryanair? He's obviously a very clever business man and honestly I admire him, although he does come across pretty arrogant. But no major problems with him and I can understand his point of view on a lot of issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Hey guys,

I am doing a project for college and on Ryanair and I was wondering if you could tell me what you like and dislike about Ryanair; or could you answer some of the questions below.

Thanks so much for your help. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

1) No preference whatsoever, its all about the money
    2) No, I even printed out the same boarding card on my pc by mistake last weekend and they sorted it out in about 2 minutes wihtout any hassle
    3)No
    4)2
    5)I got stranded in the US and got nothing off the airline as its an EU law so the money has to come back from somewhere, they are a business
    6)its grand, never had a problem with it
    7)whoever is cheapest
    8)funny b*****d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭b.o.m.d.a.s.

i like ryanair prices

have flown over 130 times with ryanair, (for complicated family reasons) only glitch ever was last xmas when berlin sxf ran out of de-icer, got transferred to next day (without charge), no complaint.

i wouldn't rather fly with aer lingus because i prefer a boeing 737-800 series to the airbus (A320)?that does the routes i'm interested in. (admittedly aer lingus did have had better prices maybe one in fifteen/twenty times)

i fly alone,

as afar as i'm concerned ryanair could add ten 2 euro charges and still be the best value flight.

ryanair website, five minutes online everything booked and printed,

flying dublin berlin tomorrow morning , ryanair, because of price 91 euro return

i like reading michael o leary's intro in the monthly ryanair magazine, i get the feeling he is doing everything to get me the best value flight.

ps i also have huge respect for the ryanair pilots and cabin crew.

Hey guys,

I am doing a project for college and on Ryanair and I was wondering if you could tell me what you like and dislike about Ryanair; or could you answer some of the questions below.

No, I book whichever's cheapest. Ryanair usually wins

Nope, I once booked a friend's ticket in his English Name while his passport was As Gaeilge. The girl behind the counter explained that it would be €40 to change the tickets. However after 2 minutes of discussion, she realised the error and sorted it there and then.

None, Ryanair is easy to use. I usually fault people who have the problem rather than Ryanair. This is especially evident on boards.ie.

1-6
    A necessary evil
    Its simple but garish. I never use anything other than the booking form and the check in though.

Ryanair, because they're consistently cheaper

I think he's a genius. I laugh at how well he uses/abuses the media. The guy knows exactly what he's doing all the time.

Thanks so much for your help. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Some more questions if you could help me....

Probably fly Ryanair 8 out of every 10 times since my first flight 15 years ago. Nothing's changed

5-6 times
    Pleasure
    None
    Nope, never had a problem with any of them. Feel that they're doing their job very well, and that so long as you treat them with the respect they deserve, and follow everything they say to a t, that it always works out easily.

Again any information that you can give me would be a huge help!

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

I love Ryanair for the record. They're like a Dublin Bus, noone wants to use them, but they're cheap so you just get on with it. You have to play their game, if you go and be thick about it you'll get caught with all the charges.

No, they're more expensive, and when I lived in France I had to fly to Lyon with them once or twice and the planes were full of screaming babies. This doesn't happen on Ryanair as parents with kids don't really fly with them...

Nothing huge that I can think of. Just delays, but they're expected regardless of airline.

No.

Usually only me, maybe 2 or 3 on occasion.

I don't like it. I think it's a pity that they have to charge it really.

The new tick box for terms and conditions annoys me, otherwise it's fine.

Ryanair I reckon, €20 to Gatwick return, can you really fault it?

I think he's one of the best businessmen to ever come out of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 StudentXY

thanks very much for your input guys, it really helped! we got a really high 2.1 for the project. he seemed impressed with the input we got thanks a lot!

Advertisement