Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring a year half way through

• 02-04-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

My other half is a mature student who has had a lot of hassle and trouble this year during his course. He is thinking of repeating the entire year and doesn't want to try the exams for personal reasons. He is sure he will fail and doing them will upset him.

Do any of you know what his options would be in relation to asking to repeat/defer the year at this stage? I've told him to go in and talk to the college on Monday but I wanted to know if anyone here has ever been in a similar situation or would have any advice to offer?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

You joined 6 years ago and this is your first post :pac::pac: how did you resist :p

Ok, the deferral process is straight forward....
    If he's a first year he needs to put the deferral request in writing for the attention of Mary Jordan, Academic Administration Manager, Admissions Office.
    OR
    If he's a non first year he needs to collect a defferal request form from his school office or the Admissions Office and follow the instructions on it.

Getting the deferral is straight forward enough, but the re-application process is different for first years they have to reapply through CAO - no exceptions!!! this needs to be done by May 1st that's not too far away now. Non first years re-apply directly to the college.

The messy part is the fees....

As the year is nearly finished he would be liable for the majority of the tuition fees and student services charge when he comes back. Also, if he's on a grant this year he won't get for the year he comes back......

Hope this is of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kamikaze Casper

Thanks for the information :) It's not the first year of the course and he's gone in to chat to the college now about it.

Advertisement