If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-ject Essential Turntable

Options
  • 02-04-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting another turntable.

I'll be connecting it up to a Pioneer SX205RDS Receiver (bought from your good selves many years ago!). The Receiver has a dedicated phono input, so no pre-amp needed.

What are your recommendations? I don't want to spend too much, and the Pro-ject Essential looks pretty good. I see it on the .com site, but not the .ie site. Do you stock it, and if not, can you suggest anything else of decent quality in or around the same price?

EDIT: I see another thread about USB Turntables. You recommend the Denon DP200. I don't particularly need USB, but it might be handy at some point, so I'd be interested in hearing what the quality of this unit is like also.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting another turntable.

I'll be connecting it up to a Pioneer SX205RDS Receiver (bought from your good selves many years ago!). The Receiver has a dedicated phono input, so no pre-amp needed.

What are your recommendations? I don't want to spend too much, and the Pro-ject Essential looks pretty good. I see it on the .com site, but not the .ie site. Do you stock it, and if not, can you suggest anything else of decent quality in or around the same price?

EDIT: I see another thread about USB Turntables. You recommend the Denon DP200. I don't particularly need USB, but it might be handy at some point, so I'd be interested in hearing what the quality of this unit is like also.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Kevin,

thanks for the post & apologies for the delay getting back to you.

That Denon looks like it should sound dreadful - but we have just installed one for a Customer of mine in a multi-room system and it's about 20 meteres from the Hub and it still sounds brilliant so I really would not knock the DP200 at all and the USB one button record convenience is really excellent - it's currently £179.95.

The Essential is available at just £129.95 (but of course it does not have any USB functionality).

If you wanted to get a serious quality conventional turntable I would look at the Rega RP1 which is now just £229.95 - but if it was me - I would go for the Denon straight away!

Keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

The Rega doesn't seem to come with a cover, which is a showstopper for me. I can't understand how manufacturers do this - Turntables are dust magnets, you'd think a cover would be a basic requirement unless it's a dj turntable.

Anyhoo.. Disregarding the USB feature, how would the Denon compare to the Pro-ject generally, soundwise, quality of build etc.. I see the Denon has a pre-amp built in. Can you confirm that the pre-amp can be switched off?

Thanks,

Kevin.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

The Rega doesn't seem to come with a cover, which is a showstopper for me. I can't understand how manufacturers do this - Turntables are dust magnets, you'd think a cover would be a basic requirement unless it's a dj turntable.

Anyhoo.. Disregarding the USB feature, how would the Denon compare to the Pro-ject generally, soundwise, quality of build etc.. I see the Denon has a pre-amp built in. Can you confirm that the pre-amp can be switched off?

Thanks,

Kevin.

Kevin,

yes the DP200 has a switchable preamplifier - so that's no problem - it sounds pretty much as good as the ESSENTIAL in my opinion - However the Rega is a different story - and it does come including a full dust cover!

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hi John,

I rang up today and spoke to Dave. I didn't realise you weren't in the Belfast office.
    After a lot of to and fro'ing, I decided against ANY of the models I'd previously been looking at. The Pro-ject and Rega are just a bit *too* manual (speed change etc) for my liking. The Denon just doesn't float my boat looks wise, and I've no need for USB.. and it has no lowering arm! So in the end I went for the Marantz TT-42, which has everything I'm looking for, and it's a brand I already know and trust.

So just wanted to say thanks for all your help! Top notch service all the way.

Kevin.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.