Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torchwood: Miracle Day, First (teaser) Trailer

• 02-04-2011 1:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Nothing to see really, but hey Torchwood needs love too, it can't all be about the Doc :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

doesnt give anything away at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

What the site reveals about the new series
    One day, nobody dies. All across the world, nobody dies. And then the next day, and the next, and the next, people keep aging — they get hurt and sick — but they never die. The result: a population boom, overnight.

With all the extra people, resources are finite. It’s said that in four month's time, the human race will cease to be viable. But this can’t be a natural event – someone’s got to be behind it. It’s a race against time as C.I.A. agent Rex Matheson investigates a global conspiracy. The answers lie within an old, secret British institute. As Rex keeps asking “What is Torchwood?", he’s drawn into a world of adventure, and a threat to change what it means to be human, forever.

“Torchwood,” premiering July 8, stars John Barrowman (“Torchwood”, “Desperate Housewives”) as Captain Jack Harkness, Eve Myles (“Torchwood”, “Little Dorrit") as Gwen Cooper, Mekhi Phifer (“ER”, “Lie to Me”) as Rex Matheson and Bill Pullman (While You Were Sleeping, Independence Day) as Oswald Danes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

We'll they kept a musical nod to the original series. I like that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

SO478.jpg

Or full sized version :
    [url]HTTP://i.imgur.com/eEb1X.jpg[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Newman from Seinfeld is in it too :pac:

Newman.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I only just see it now and it's been blocked. Damn :( Off to search for a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

if death is not an option why does Jack have a big bloody gun. Guess injury is an option.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Is this a full series of just a mini series? Like the last one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Half way. It's 10 episodes long, but the same format as Series 3 with one story spanning every episode, not 10 stories

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

OK, maybe it's just because of the editing of the trailer, but that looks pretty bad. Certainly it seems like they're only paying lip service to Torchwood itself, whilst the rest seems like generic blahm-blahm-CIA-investigates nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Special effects (explosions) look pretty poor too.
    Hopefully the story is good - I have my fingers crossed for another Children of Earth, but I'm having doubts now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hrmm, that trailer has me worried now. It looks very generic without the touch of tongue-in-cheek camp humour that distinguishes Torchwood. Too many things going BOOM. Hopefully it's just something thrown together to appeal to the action-starved as there's some good talent involved in the show.

arent they gearing it towards an american audience aswell? could explain as some said the "generic" vid with lots going boom.

Thats what 99% of ad in the US are like.
    Have a look on TVRage.com for an action show and you'll see that same, so hopefully the real show will be a lot better.
    arent they gearing it towards an american audience aswell? could explain as some said the "generic" vid with lots going boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

pixelburp wrote: »
    OK, maybe it's just because of the editing of the trailer, but that looks pretty bad. Certainly it seems like they're only paying lip service to Torchwood itself, whilst the rest seems like generic blahm-blahm-CIA-investigates nonsense.

Maybe they're not playing up the Torchwood angle itself too much in this promo as it's an American promo, trying to get in a new audience who may not be familiar with the show. I suspect the BBC UK promo will play up Jack/Gwen/Rhys etc more as the audience is familiar with them this side of the pond.

I watched most of the previous three seasons so I'll probably give it a chance and see how it goes. Personally though I kind of miss the Season 2 forumula, which struck the balance between "villain of the week" and "overall story arc" fairly well in my opinion.

5ewgs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm dunno, some of those American characters are a bit grating; dunno why, but I always find it jarring when I hear US accents in a British show (and vice versa) Plus it's not a good sign when John Barrowman's the better actor hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Oh dear... I don't like any of the new characters. I was already apprehensive about it as it was but this just makes it look so much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lol. American television. I like how the two female characters are the archetypal ditzy blonde and the bitch. The only semi likeable/human one is Gwen. And even she's been turned into the "mother out for REVENGE!!1!!"

I'm gonna give RTD the benefit of the doubt and hope this is more marketing by pr idiots (tm) because that is a program I would not bother with if I didn't know more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

Has any clear airdate been given by the BBC yet for this side of the Atlantic? Gettin' a bit close to July now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Think I saw somewhere during the week in passing that they are saying "within 7 days of the US airing".

Den of Geek have a spoiler free review of episode 1.

just watching that again and when gwen was talking she said "i had a daughter and a husband" would that imply that they died or were taken away as she went on the run?

will watch the first ep with low expectations (the american side and actors from above video are doing nothing for me at all) and hope it is good.

IIRC, there's no firm air date this side of the Atlantic. Goes without saying of course that those who want to see it before then, will find a way hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

UK airdate confirmed as July 14th, and like Children of Earth there'll be three radio plays on the days before

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

New 11 min promo (spoilerish...) with some talking heads thrown in.
    Getting more hopeful about this!
    http://www.movieweb.com/tv/TVPOb0vXmsQhTS/season-1-first-look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Here's the UK teaser:

I sort of gave up on Torchwood after season 1, but I've been told it got better after that. Want to see Children of Earth, but not entirely pushed on the idea of suffering through season 2 to get there...

Not long to go now; Mods, perhaps you should change the title of this thread to reflect it's just the Teaser Trailer anymore? :) I see I don't have permissions to edit the first post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

I sort of gave up on Torchwood after season 1, but I've been told it got better after that. Want to see Children of Earth, but not entirely pushed on the idea of suffering through season 2 to get there...

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang
    Dead Man Walking
    Fragments
    Exit Wounds

is probably a watchable abridged series 2 before you get to the good one. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought the vast majority of Season 2 was watchable tbh. I don't remember any particularly painful episodes, of which there were many in Season 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

the most apt thing i've read/heard about season 2 of torchwood:

"a vast, vast improvement over its first outing, while still not managing to be
    very good"

Season 2 was not that bad actually, and they had a great idea for a childrens edit. This wasnt done for Children or Earth nor this one so I will be plagued by the children about this untill whenever Who rematerialises on BBC1. Apparently, episodes five and six are the dark ones, which should be interesting. I always liked the RTD-dake side, and felt that he couldnt show it enough on Who and when he tried it on Children of Earth it was watered down a lot.

I would suppose that the dark episodes relate to what humanity does to itself given that you cannot die, but you can be very much injured.

People wonder where the Doctor is during these things, I posted before about parrellel worlds and stuff, apparently in Ep one they will give a reason why he isnt here, my own theory is that he lets us all blow off a little steam once in and things that happen in Children of Earth and this are fixed points in time that he knows he cannot mess with - like Napoleon or WW2. So he just avoids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Reviews are coming in from lots of critics now. Bit of a mixed bag, tbh.... seems more negative than positive.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50299

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

When Torchwood returns to television next month, there'll be two different versions of every episode. Some scenes will only be in the US version, while other scenes will only be in the UK version. What's that about?

Doctor Who Magazine editor Tom Spillsbury tweeted yesterday:

Interesting that US Torchwood will have bits UK won't & UK Torchwood will have bits that US won't. So which is the 'proper' version? PANIC!!

And a while later, he added some clarification:

It's to do with the episode timings in the US and what's suitable/unsuitable to be shown on the BBC in the UK. It explains in DWM436 anyway.

Off the top of my head, there's one somewhat racy sex scene in the third episode that I could easily see being trimmed for UK broadcast television. And presumably some of the British in-jokes that no American will get (like the one about lemonade being "fizzy") might find themselves on the cutting-room floor in the US. In any case, when the episodes actually air, we'll do our best to keep track of which scenes are in one version but not the other. It sounds like, overall, the British versions will be the longer cuts because of the refrence to "episode timings."

http://io9.com/5815273/both-the-us-and-uk-versions-of-torchwood-will-have-different-extra-scenes

This is so stupid. Each version will have scenes that the other does not so if you only watch one, no matter which you watch, you will be missing out. My gut says the UK version will be better, as the series in jokes are more likely to be kept in that. But if they are going to cut out scenes due to sex and violence it could end up looking really messy.:mad:

Eta; Just reading the snippets of reviews on Mr E's link and it's making me lean more toward watching the UK version as I wonder if all the suggestions that "something is missing" are referring to the lost Britishness in the US version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The premise is great, the script mediocre so far, the soundtrack awful (besides being generally weak it was for the most part inappropriate, I half expected the benny hill theme tune to pop in at some point and to me one of TWs strongpoints has been just how well the audio has worked to add to the atmposphere). Now it's just another cliched half assed US soap-fi (and I live in the states btw) that focuses more on pretty people with perfect teeth, the US being the all powerful center of the universe and big-bang-boom than characters, plot, script and atmosphere. Its is everything I was afraid of from the previews and hoped that those were just simplifications to draw in a new audience...nope...
    Mebbe it will get better but a lot of it played out like a parody of every crappy US based action show out there. The trailer scene of Gwen calmly firing a rocket launcher at an approaching helicopter as they all duck a little then look back with perfect hair and makeup sums it up perfectly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

iguana wrote: »
    This is so stupid. Each version will have scenes that the other does not so if you only watch one, no matter which you watch, you will be missing out. My gut says the UK version will be better, as the series in jokes are more likely to be kept in that. But if they are going to cut out scenes due to sex and violence it could end up looking really messy.:mad:

Eta; Just reading the snippets of reviews on Mr E's link and it's making me lean more toward watching the UK version as I wonder if all the suggestions that "something is missing" are referring to the lost Britishness in the US version.

You'll have to watch both, the Starz version will have more sex/violence/swearing.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    The trailer scene of Gwen calmly firing a rocket launcher at an approaching helicopter as they all duck a little then look back with perfect hair and makeup sums it up perfectly.

thats just how Gwen is, roll with it ;)

Advertisement