Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre Square yesterday afternoon (Friday)

Options
  • 02-04-2011 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

2 Garda cars there.

Around 3 or 4 o' clock when there are loads of kids waiting for buses. Saw one teenage girl being taking away in handcuffs. School bag on her back and all.

Other gardai searching teenagers bags etc.

The girl must have done something serious because in my experience, a garda won't bother arresting someone unless they've done something serious because of the paperwork involved.

Anyone know what happened? Yes I'm nosey.

Comments

What bus were they waiting for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What bus were they waiting for?

The Taylors Hill one of course, bet daddy was down the station giving out before the peelers got there with their prize :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I guess it's good that also small news gets a dedicated thread. It means we haven't become blasé yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

I saw it yesterday aswell. Guards all over the place. I was up at the top, but was one of the "well behaved" teens... I think there might have been a fight, but then again i don't want to assume anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Schoolgirls in handcuffs.....sounds like my kind of Friday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Town was swarming with police yesterday, especially around Eyre Square. I was sitting in the Square with a friend who was waiting for a bus and there were two squad cars parked in the square, one at the top and one at the bottom. Then we saw three Guards walk down that road opposite the 2W and 7 bus stop and a few minutes later a Paddywagon stopped at the entrance to the road.

I didn't see any trouble though, we were wondering what was going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's probably drugs related. If they were searching bags and stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Mary McAleese was giving a talk in NUIG yesterday and the college was swarming with guards.. Wonder if it has anything to do with it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

kraggy wrote: »
    Yes I'm nosey.

With regards a 'case' like this there's nothing wrong with that, I'm slightly intrigued myself. So many times over the years I've seen smaller incidents like this occur and have gone home only to wonder what had happened or what the outcome was. I guess that's making me nosy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

kraggy wrote: »
    2 Garda cars there.

Around 3 or 4 o' clock when there are loads of kids waiting for buses. Saw one teenage girl being taking away in handcuffs. School bag on her back and all.

Other gardai searching teenagers bags etc.

The girl must have done something serious because in my experience, a garda won't bother arresting someone unless they've done something serious because of the paperwork involved.

Anyone know what happened? Yes I'm nosey.

yes but I'm not going to tell you :pac:

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's probably drugs related. If they were searching bags and stuff..

It could be alien related too. They may have been searching their bags for aliens or terrorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It could be alien related too. They may have been searching their bags for aliens or terrorists.
    It wasn't an alien. It was a weather balloon. Nothing to see here lads.

It wasn't an alien. It was a weather balloon. Nothing to see here lads.

I knew it, chemtrails!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Is now nosey if Hondasam is a cop .....
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Is now nosey if Hondasam is a cop .....
    :D:D

If I told you Id have to kill you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Aimee30

were the girls wearing uniforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

hondasam wrote: »
    If I told you Id have to kill you :D

i think hondasam would be using a video camera its all the rage lately:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

I seen this as well. I was coming out of the shopping center to get the bus and I seen a police officer searching a young lad looked down towards the bottom of the square and they were searching a young girl, looking through her school bag etc. I went over to my bus stop (No. 3) and watched everything going on. I'm not sure what happened but I seen three officers running towards the bottom of the square, didnt see anybody get arrested, however I did over hear some of the kids mention that someone got arrested.

I then turned away looking to see if my bus was coming and a young lad ran up to another standing beside me. He had his school bag on his back and another in his hand, which clearly wasnt his. He asked the young lad if he had seen someone and seemed quite worried that he would get in trouble if the police had caught him with the bag. I reckon that whatever the trouble was over (drugs, stolen items or other) was in that bag. The lads moved on and next thing I know there is a fight going on. Didnt see it as it was at the fountain and they were surrounded with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

anybody on here read newspapers? It was in the sentinel
    Schoolboys’ staged fight is broken up by Gardaí

GARDAÍ are investigating a ‘staged fight’ between two second level students in the city last Friday afternoon in Eyre Square that ‘drew a crowd’ of an estimated 50 onlookers.

The students – in the 16 to 17 age group – are understood to be from different schools in the city and word had spread of the ‘showdown’ after lunch on Friday.

Shortly after the fight had started, Gardaí arrived on the scene and spoke to the two students involved. It is understood that a number of searches of onlookers also took place after it had been claimed that an ‘implement’ had been used by one of the protagonists.

The two youths involved in the altercation will be dealt with under the Garda caution scheme while both schools have also been visited by Gardaí.

“Both have been spoken to by Gardaí and are being dealt with by way of caution. There were no injuries,” said a Garda spokesman.

When I was a lad we dealt with these things in a more discrete fashion i.e. in the ball alley.

How did they think it was going to end up having a brawl in the middle of Eyre Square on a Friday afternoon?

Too much Grand Theft Auto, that's their problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Eh no, they just learn from adult's behaviour that donnybrooking in Eyre Square is acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The first rule of fight club is you wait till it's dark in Eyre square.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bish and Endas students are not allowed in Eyre Square after dark :p And it was handbags club not Fight Club!

Advertisement