Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you shop?

Options
  • 02-04-2011 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

For meat I always go to grennans butchers down there by the garda station. However, yesterday I was in a hurry and since I shopped in the old dunnes, I ran into the butchers near there.

The lady, and I use that word very lightly, that served me used the glove she was wearing whilst serving me to take my money and hand me my change.

She proceeded to serve the customer behind me with the now contaminated glove.

I was outraged and disgusted, but I just walked out, not wanting to make a scene.

I called back today and asked to speak to a manager, who basically asked me what the problem was???

I know I wont be buyin anything else in there, theyre beyond disgusting!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I got scraps for the dogs there before, they had no complaints:), but thats all il be gettin now. Grennans ftw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I called back today and asked to speak to a manager, who basically asked me what the problem was???

That's mental.

I have experienced the same handling of food and cash in that butchers. Didn't bother me as I was buying pre-packed meat out of the fridge.

The manager probably thinks its okay as the food has to be cooked anyway (Its not okay) but it still puts people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I called the butchers in question today, because I was so infuriated.

I knew the girl that answered the phone - I had been in school with her years previously. She was one of the "tough" girls, and had taken an instant dislike to my 12 year old self because I was from the country, and she had assumed I was "stuck up" when I was just shy.

Anyhow, she answered the phone and I was polite, I said "Hi, Could I speak with the manager please?"
    She tells me to hang on for a minute, didn't put me on mute and I heard her mimic my voice saying "Hi, could I speak with the manager please HAHAHA" and then I hear a voice just as common come on the phone.

I was livid at this stage, and asked if that was the manager. She replied that she was, and I asked for her name. She gave her name and I proceeded to tell her my grieveance. She actually asked me what the problem was? I explained I had bought contaminated products and recieved contaminated change and she said "well the till IS this side of the counter". When I explained that its hygenic practice to remove gloves before touching money, She asked me who served me and I told her I didnt know. She asked if it was on my receipt and I said I threw the reciept in the bin, along with the meat.

She basically said "You should have said something instead of ringing to complain".

At this stage, I was beyond furious. I told her I had heard the other girl sneer and I informed her I would be contacting health and safety, to which she replied that they had health and safety in before (unsurprisingly) and they had passed with "flying colours".

It turns out the manager and the chick that answered the phone are sisters, and I'm sorry, but the leavings of scum.

I am astounded that I was even spoken to like I was, when I was clearly in the right.

Im just wondering what do I do next?

I should also add the "manager" was the lady that served me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭John 187

Just on the old dunnes, who know that newsagents in there?

I be going there for years, picking up the odd magazine. The other month I went in and soon as start looking at the magazines, the one that's been working there for years came and stood beside while I was looking for my magazine. I try not to notice, she was called back to the till to deal with a customer.
    I found the one I was looking for, turned around and the one was giving me the dirty eye from the counter. I put magazine back and walk out. The whole time she was staring at me as I left.

Im 27 be going there for years. I never buying anything in there again.

(The magazine were video game magazine in case anyone it thinking anything dirty!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Thats common there john. I wouldn buy a ten penny mix there. They are like feckin shadows in there, and have been for years. But be honest, it was a top shelf mag man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 siniman

As to what you do next - i think you leave it - you have made your complaint - whether they take it on board is up to themselves. just do not buy there again. personally i buy at tormleys which has fantastic quality meat and i certainly have not seen issues such as those you highlight.

Is that the butchers across from the bridge house? I've never been in there to be honest but I have seen them washing outside their premesis just before they close on occasion.

I usually go to Grennans, which I love. They're friendly, and more importantly, they're clean.

That newsagents belongs to Ray Kelly. Do you remember the shop they had on harbour street? He had got to be the most obnoxious man that ever ran a business in town. I went into get change for a trolley in the old dunnes newsagents, and the lady thats been there years was behind the counter and she was talking to her daughter and whoever was minding the daughter about how a size 4-5 cardigan would be the perfect size for the child, ect ect. They dont give 1 euro coins out so i was just buying a packet of chewing gum, and was waiting.. and waiting.. and waiting.. and the older lady ended up coming to serve me. The other woman just looked at me like I had taken the biggest poop on the counter. Sorry to be such an inconvenience. :/

I know I need to let the butchers go -- but I'm just livid at the fact that uneducated trollop and her equally uneducated sister were laughing at me. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭John 187

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Thats common there john. I wouldn buy a ten penny mix there. They are like feckin shadows in there, and have been for years. But be honest, it was a top shelf mag man :D

You got me, it was the latest issue of Ireland's own!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I would never use that butchers in the old Dunnes, for no other reason than it looks f**kin manky! So i cant comment on what the service is like, but im not surprised by your story.

I nearly always use Hanlons on Patrick st, meat is top quality, the guys in there are lovely, and the till is on the other side on the meat counter and manned by a cashier, so the lads never have to touch money.

Ive used Grennans a few times too, and they are as good as Hanlons, clean, good quality meat and deli food, and again, a cashier to take the money.

Im not even going to comment on the newsagents, i know exactly who you;re talking about, enough said. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Cherrycola wrote: »
    I would never use that butchers in the old Dunnes, for no other reason than it looks f**kin manky! So i cant comment on what the service is like, but im not surprised by your story.

I nearly always use Hanlons on Patrick st, meat is top quality, the guys in there are lovely, and the till is on the other side on the meat counter and manned by a cashier, so the lads never have to touch money.

Ive used Grennans a few times too, and they are as good as Hanlons, clean, good quality meat and deli food, and again, a cashier to take the money.

Im not even going to comment on the newsagents, i know exactly who you;re talking about, enough said. ;)
    I know who you are on about newsagent wise too....oh man i shall say no more!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mrtulachmhor

Dunnes Stores is a **** hole in Tullamore, Always was and always will be. never enough staff on tills, selling a lot of cheap **** food and managers that look so intimidating to their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Use Tormey's - the meat is really good quality.
    Use Grennan's or Hanlon's on Mondays...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Tormeys for meats and flynns beside it for breads...yum yum!

Storm, that is pretty mank! I hate that shopping centre anyway it's so dingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Mawbish

Thats disgusting!

Check out http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/ for more info if you want to follow up with a complaint as far as I know you can do it without naming names ;)

And if you ever find yourself in Edenderry or Rhode try Dempseys butchers they do wonderful stuffed chicken breast on the bone E2 each in plain and in garlic and lemon....damnit am getting hungry now

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

Please go to the food safety authority of ireland with this, it is unhygenic ignorance that has killed several people in germany ( Eschericia Coliform or E. Coli ONLY grows in the intestine, ie it was spread by people not washing hands after toilet)
    if no one tells them these things, they cant act. :)
    www.fsai.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

Bergins in Dunnes in edenderry is savage, i grew up there but now i live in clare, i fill a cool bag from bergins when i come back!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

deeduck48 wrote: »
    Bergins in Dunnes in edenderry is savage, i grew up there but now i live in clare, i fill a cool bag from bergins when i come back!:D
    They've been going years, and they always give out generous portions, always allowing a little over rather than under when the situation arises.

Advertisement