Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TESCO MOTHERS DAY RIP OFF

Options
  • 02-04-2011 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

Went into to a local Tesco today getting a few bits and went to pick up a small bunch of white roses that i have been buying there for the past few months, picked them up from the stand and noticed that there was a piece of pink card inside the clear plastic wrapping , looked again and found that the price had changed also from 5.00 euros to 12.00 euros for the same roses .
    Does this piece of extra pink card warrent an increase of 7.00 euros ?
    Maybe the cash rich wont see a problem with this rip off but I consider it just taking advantage of the day and the public.
    I left them where I found them , Shame on Tesco and the mother of all ripoffs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

Just to note TESCO are now charging 12.00 euros for a small bunch of white roses that cost only 5.00 last week and weeks before .
    Probably only a coincidence that its Mothers day on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Just to note TESCO are now charging 12.00 euros for a small bunch of white roses that cost only 5.00 last week and weeks before .

I'd do the exact same thing! Making as much money as you can is what business is all about

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland and merged.

Please do not post duplicate threads across multiple forums.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

This is the first law of supply and demand. Go try Dunnes, or better still your local florist.

thanks for the reply and your advice in going to Dunnes, but I was quite happy to spend the 5.00 euro that I always paid for the roses in tescos , until today when they jacked up the price to 12.00 euro. Its wasnt a matter of me going to Dunnes and getting the same item , the point was to highlight the blatent rip off by these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Supply and demand

I'd advise you to stay away from florists on Valentines Day also if this sort of thing bothers you

good to know the celtic tiger mentality is still alive on the forum , judging by the replies to this thread i would assume that theres no shortage of money or sign of recession among those folk. one can only guess what catagory of society they are from.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You do know that you don't have to buy overpriced tat just because Hallmark is telling you to ?

good to know the celtic tiger mentality is still alive on the forum , judging by the replies to this thread i would assume that theres no shortage of money or sign of recession among those folk. one can only guess what catagory of society they are from.

:rolleyes:

I'm a student, i'm just smart enough to know that supply and demand exists in this world, and also nobody is forced to buy anything

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

I'm not sure what "category of society" I'm from, but I'd love to have an extra fiver left to p*ss away on roses at the end of each week! :)

As others have said, it's all about supply and demand. If people are willing to spend €12 on a bunch of flowers the day before Mothers Day, Tesco would be foolish not to charge it. It is not a charity, the objective is to make profits.

Sure, you could boycott Tesco because of it or whatever, but I'm pretty certain you'd find similar price hikes with any of the competitors for seasonal goods around dates such as Mothers Day. It's how businesses operate, there are no secrets or scandals here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Celtic Tiger mentality? You're the one pissing away money on fresh flowers on a weekly basis. That €5 would buy 8 loaves of bread in Tesco.

redz11 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what "category of society" I'm from, but I'd love to have an extra fiver left to p*ss away on roses at the end of each week! :)

As others have said, it's all about supply and demand. If people are willing to spend €12 on a bunch of flowers the day before Mothers Day, Tesco would be foolish not to charge it. It is not a charity, the objective is to make profits.

Sure, you could boycott Tesco because of it or whatever, but I'm pretty certain you'd find similar price hikes with any of the competitors for seasonal goods around dates such as Mothers Day. It's how businesses operate, there are no secrets or scandals here.

No No, any companies who make loads of money automatically owe us something

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2kmP5wkS0O-TSDrE3WSfqHl6XUGuCYw5ykrIe4gw5Kc27VlWI-w

Should have got a bunch of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RoryInLeitrim

i have a pair of football boots for sale if any1 wants those to give to their mammys? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.....It is an invitation to buy !! Personaly I think my mother is worth a hell of alot more than a fiver anyway....If you check closely enough, Tesco have an all year round standard range of flowers and plants . They were for sale today as any other day. On special occasions, allocated seasonal stock is delivered and prices do vary from the standard range. It is all about supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

ever hear of putting flowers on a grave for a lost love one? not saying thats what OP does but I wouldn;t have the indecentcy to say what anyone did with their earnings as p|ssed away unless of course it was down the local public house...

as a response to TESCO, i despies them, and as the price hike of flowers (I could understand ~50% at E7.99) as OP states is just another reason to do so... why don't they do the same with their easter eggs? instead they slash the price of them ruining trade for many smaller suppliers, I have a friend whose parents own a small shop, it's cheaper for them to purchase eggs at the counter from their local tesco, then buy from the cash&carry/wholesaler what have you, I even heard a few years ago their was a shortage of eggs(dont ask how this works was word on street) !!! where was the price hike for the supply and demand then?

I'd prefer to pay E20 for the same roses in a florist then give TESCO E12 for theirs, its exploitation of the worse degree and when we hear of yet another independent shop retailer go bust, we all think jeeze thats terrible, and continue to shop at the likes of TESCO until nowhere else to shop/work (except stacking the shelves of your local TESCO, sure it'll be a great laugh half the family be working there) but where the F* am i going to get a excellent selection of flowers any time of year bar Valentines/Mother's day, if TESCO is the only option?

sorry if went off-topic

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

some clowns on here I have to say.....I pity some of the mothers who wake up Sunday morning.....to find a bunch of daffodils and an empty chip packet on the kitchen table.....Even Orchids can be freely found in window boxes...

madanall wrote: »
    some clowns on here I have to say.....I pity some of the mothers who wake up Sunday morning.....to find a bunch of daffodils and an empty chip packet on the kitchen table.....Even Orchids can be freely found in window boxes...

Since my post was the only one standing between two of yours I have to presume you last one is in response to mine, I'm glad your amused by the goings on in this thread, but in all honesty you sound like an opinionated moron, you've as far as I can tell failed to post on-topic, it has nothing to do with the showing/expression of gratitute etc. to one's mother on Mother's day but moreso, the business ethics of tesco and rip offs the consumers has to put up with on special days such as these throughout the calendar year, understanderably-so flowers are not the end-all gift alternatives can be done, which cost absoluting nothing....which I think you were trying to get at..... sarcasm on net good way to get your point across btw...

............................oh and .............ggfogb!! Goodnight...........

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

If fairness you could take out Tesco & insert any supermarket/florist in the title.
    Flowers are a discretionary spend. Back to normal prices next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

lods wrote: »
    If fairness you could take out Tesco & insert any supermarket/florist in the title.
    Flowers are a discretionary spend. Back to normal prices next week.

Exactly.
    What business doesn't capitalise on Mothers Day or whatever Hallmark day it happens to be on the calender?

I even got handed a flyer yesterday for a tattoo parlour who were running a "mothers day special offer" til 5th April. And you didn't have to get your mammys name tattood!

And every hotel/restaurant/pub today will have an overpriced "mothers day special" menu on as well.

Next thing we'll have threads giving out about toy shops at christmas.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Hey.... Try lidl their prices did not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

alex73 wrote: »
    Hey.... Try lidl their prices did not change.

And they are better value to begin with.

@ border & lods: True; but my point was for a company whose motto is 'every little helps' this practice is extortionate to add almost 150% extra markup on a product, which, I believe, supply and demand does not really come into effect as such. Mothers day is foreseen event by which production would be increased, by which sales would be up and they could make money by an inceased quantity of sales rather than shafting people. I just find them especially unethical in their business practices, did you see the program on their tuna?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

@ border & lods: True; but my point was for a company whose motto is 'every little helps' this practice is extortionate to add almost 150% extra markup on a product, which, I believe, supply and demand does not really come into effect as such. Mothers day is foreseen event by which production would be increased, by which sales would be up and they could make money by an inceased quantity of sales rather than shafting people. I just find them especially unethical in their business practices, did you see the program on their tuna?

Lots of people have issues with Tesco because they're the big business and they're an easy target.

They cut they're prices - people give out and say it's a scam

They increase they're prices - people give out - even though this may be down to suppliers and world food markets.

They come into a town, create jobs - and people give out because they think that Tesco are pushing out the smaller stores.

They do what every other business does and increase they're prices due to seasonal fluctuations - and people give out. - not to the smaller business - no just Tesco.

Most consumers are like sheep, they don't know the price of what they're buying and whether they're receiving value or not.

Take for example goodfellas pizzas - the deep pan variety was on offer in my local Dunnes for €2.50 on Friday. I know from previously purchasing them that this used to be only €2.00

So I'm in Tesco yesterday and they have the thin base pizza (which I prefer) on offer at €2.00, so I buy them in Tesco.

I'm not saying Tesco are saints - but they do have offers - but the consumer needs to know the value of what they're buying - rather than believing the marketing and advertising spin that ALL businesses come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Tescos made me take out a large mortgage which i cant pay now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

of course it is all supply and demand. they know that on this particular day items such as flowers and chocolates are popular items, for the obvious reason, so they see no problem making money out of people by putting a mark up on them.

i think the easter egg thing - by LOWERING the prices people are likely to buy more of each item, such as 3 for whatever, so they will acutally sell more and make more in the long run, rather than putting up prices on the eggs and then selling less. again that is supply and demand.

the thing that always bothered me was this - VALENTINE'S Day - another supply and demand day. everything goes up in price on valentine's by extortionate amounts. my gripe was this: i am an only child of a single parent mother, who had the unfortunatness to have been BORN on valentine's day! i could never growing up for love nor money afford to buy her anything from my pocket money. cos anything i would have thought to buy - not just chocs or flowers, but anything you would buy for a woman - had been trebled in price so that chaps buying presents for their girls would fork over more money. i felt very put out by this, as i just wanted to buy a pressie for my mammy and i felt rotten that i couldn't cos i couldn't afford one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

@ border & lods: True; but my point was for a company whose motto is 'every little helps'

Better value, Real food real people etc etc . None of these slogans mean anything. The other issue is flower suppliers growers & distributers put up their prices to the shops as well . That all adds up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What did Tesco say when you complained to them OP or are you still awaiting a response? Let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

hdowney wrote: »

i think the easter egg thing - by LOWERING the prices people are likely to buy more of each item, such as 3 for whatever, so they will acutally sell more and make more in the long run, rather than putting up prices on the eggs and then selling less.

Not quite the same.

Expensive flowers are there to capitalize on impulse purchases by regular customers.

Cheap eggs are there to induce new customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

lods wrote: »
    Better value, Real food real people etc etc . None of these slogans mean anything. The other issue is flower suppliers growers & distributers put up their prices to the shops as well . That all adds up
    I would like to see the company that says to tesco that because its mothers day we are going to gouge you for a few more euros than usual.would get an interesting responce from tescos buyer.

Advertisement