Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TESCO MOTHERS DAY RIP OFF

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

Since my post was the only one standing between two of yours I have to presume you last one is in response to mine, I'm glad your amused by the goings on in this thread, but in all honesty you sound like an opinionated moron, you've as far as I can tell failed to post on-topic, it has nothing to do with the showing/expression of gratitute etc. to one's mother on Mother's day but moreso, the business ethics of tesco and rip offs the consumers has to put up with on special days such as these throughout the calendar year, understanderably-so flowers are not the end-all gift alternatives can be done, which cost absoluting nothing....which I think you were trying to get at..... sarcasm on net good way to get your point across btw...

............................oh and .............ggfogb!! Goodnight...........
    sometimes sarcasm is the only option when someone is spouting absolute drivel and not making any sense. You DESPISE Tesco so you obviously have a hidden agenda. If you want to buy something...BUY IT, otherwise stop moaning. I am sick of the anti Tesco threads on this forum. In fairness most people here are impartial and sensible enough to recognise that all businesses use events such as Easter and Mothers' Day to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Why is it always assumed that the retailer is making the profit.

Guess what, the flower growers charge extra for flowers on Valentines & Mothers day times.

Same as airlines & hotels charge more in school holiday times.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

I have to agree that it is some mark up, but it is defo supply and demand, and i dont blame them on it.

Slightly off topic but did anybody avail of their mother's day meal deal. 2 starters, 2 sides, 1 main course, and 1 desert for €10 now that was some bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So if you owned a B & B in Dublin you wouldn't increase your prices during international rugby weekends?

And if you had a house for rent in Dingle, you'd charge the same for a week's rental in November as you would in July?

No you wouldn't, you would charge as much as the market would bear so during periods of increased demand you would charge more, that's how business works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Went into to a local Tesco today getting a few bits and went to pick up a small bunch of white roses that i have been buying there for the past few months, picked them up from the stand and noticed that there was a piece of pink card inside the clear plastic wrapping , looked again and found that the price had changed also from 5.00 euros to 12.00 euros for the same roses .
    Does this piece of extra pink card warrent an increase of 7.00 euros ?
    Maybe the cash rich wont see a problem with this rip off but I consider it just taking advantage of the day and the public.
    I left them where I found them , Shame on Tesco and the mother of all ripoffs.

Loads of the €5 roses in Waterford Ardkeen Tesco this morning, in a bucket with a big sign stuck on the floor beside them. Was there an empty bucket in other stores or was the €5 price covered up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 alan100

Just for balance.....

Tesco reduced boxes of chocolates to half price for Mother's Day

Roses, Quality Street etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

In response to the OP was in tesco today... the €12 roses were glitter roses. The usual €5.50 bunch was half price at €2.75 and from about 2 all of the mothers day flowers were half price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sandin wrote: »
    Guess what, the flower growers charge extra for flowers on Valentines & Mothers day times.

Same as airlines & hotels charge more in school holiday times.
    Exactly, just like some idiots think wholesale and/or manufacturing prices are identical all around the world for the likes of coca cola, ipods or big macs.
    alex73 wrote: »
    Hey.... Try lidl their prices did not change.
    then you will get people complaining that they are ripping you off throughout the rest of the year! since they are working off much lower margins on mothers day when the flower suppliers have jacked up the price.
    I believe, supply and demand does not really come into effect as such. Mothers day is foreseen event by which production would be increased, by which sales would be up and they could make money by an inceased quantity of sales rather than shafting people.
    This was posted in bargain alerts around valentines
    Bronaaagh wrote: »
    Florists make money on Valentine's Day due to the VOLUME of orders, not because THEY increase the price. The price for most flowers, but especially red roses, can often increase as much as 300% for Valentine's Day orders in the Dutch markets, so obviously florists will have to implement the same increase to avoid making a loss.

In regards to roses being dead because their petals look "wrinkly"; there are hundreds of different variety of roses, some petals have this look when freshly plucked! The best bet is to give the head a GENTLE squeeze: fresh roses should be firm.

Also, speaking of the sheer volume of varieties, some variations will be more expensive than others, and the length of the stem will also determine the price: the longer the stem, the more expensive they will be.

And finally, it doesn't matter when you order the flowers: Valentine's Day prices are set as soon as the florist knows them.

(I'm a florist, but not a proprietor, and I've worked in the industry for 9 years, in two major cities and have extensive knowledge of the Dutch markets!)

You cannot expect growers to buy new land/premises to be able to cope with a massive increase in volume of a fresh product twice a year -and then leave it lie idle the rest of the year.

Advertisement