Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exam Locations 2011

• 02-04-2011 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Anyone else REALLY p*ssed off with UCC with regards to the exam locations this year?

Not only am I angry that UCC haven't even contacted us about it all - which is UNACCEPTABLE - or even set up some sort of map/guide for students but I find it highly amusing that a University can't even hold their own exams on their own EFFIN campus! WTF!

And the ongoing excuse of it being due to renovations at the Mardyke - well imo that's just INCOMPETENT planning and timing on their part!

...seriously I do wonder why I'm paying fees at all -.-

Anyhoo... something a lil more positive. Maybe we could use this thread to help our fellow students out - so they know where the hell these exam locations are? :D

CIT - Tyco Building.
    Neptune Stadium.
    (please correct me if I am wrong, as I'm not from Cork)

Feel free to add other locations :) (and to join me in my rant XD)

Edit: Oh and I did find this from the UCC website a few years ago... but this map pretty much sucks ass -.-

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

They did e-mail.

If you're unsure where the exam halls are then use google. Streetview / Earth is surely enough for anyone to get a good idea of where the exams are being held.

The only thing you have to worry about with the new exam centres is parking imo. I don't know if CIT are in college then or not but if they are it will be difficult to get parking out there and the buses in Cork are, in my experience, fairly unreliable because they don't exactly stick to the timetable. Taxi's can be booked alright but they can also be taken by other people.... I'm assuming UCC will have a bus running but it's first come first served.

I don't know what kind of parking will be available at the Metropole Hotel or CIT. I know CIT has enough parking for their own students but I doubt there is enough for them plus us. MacCurtain St. from what I've seen also has f all parking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

December wrote: »
    Anyone else REALLY p*ssed off with UCC with regards to the exam locations this year?

Not only am I angry that UCC haven't even contacted us about it all - which is UNACCEPTABLE - or even set up some sort of map/guide for students but I find it highly amusing that a University can't even hold their own exams on their own EFFIN campus! WTF!

And the ongoing excuse of it being due to renovations at the Mardyke - well imo that's just INCOMPETENT planning and timing on their part!

...seriously I do wonder why I'm paying fees at all -.-

Anyhoo... something a lil more positive. Maybe we could use this thread to help our fellow students out - so they know where the hell these exam locations are? :D

CIT - Tyco Building.
    Neptune Stadium.
    (please correct me if I am wrong, as I'm not from Cork)

Feel free to add other locations :) (and to join me in my rant XD)
    -.-

You'd want to get your facts straight before you start shooting your mouth off. They did contact us about renovations in the Mardyke, if you'd check your student email.

Firstly the Mardyke Arena is not owned by UCC, it is a private company who hire the facilities to the college - incompetent timing isn't due to the college, it is due to the fact that as part of the renovations there is a new athletics track being laid, which must be laid during the summer, and it is easier to have all the renovations done at once which includes a new stand - now afaik, the hall itself is not affected, but I'm sure you don't want to hear banging and drilling during your exam, because I certainly do not want to. The renovations are going to take another nine months http://www.corkindependent.com/local-news/local-news/leisure-centre-development-to-deliver-local-economy-jobs-boost/. Thats why they had to be moved from there - and tbh I'm not going to complain, part of my fees pay for my membership and when that stuff is completed, we'll have access to a world class facility. This is phase three of the development

As to the Neptune Stadium, exams have been held out there for years, and also in City Hall, which makes me think that you are a first year, since it is common knowledge that they are held there. The SU organise buses to and from Neptune, and other centres, which is fair enough. Having the exams in a lot of the rooms is not feasible, which is why the exams are held in the bigger halls.

So before you make a song and dance about things, ask rather than rant - because off campus locations for end of year exams has always been the way UCC has operated for years! The SU sent out emails last year regarding buses, so I presume they will do the same this year and prob for the locations in CIT.

Tyco building - there is a busstop right outside it - number 5 isn't too bad depending on the time. Get to the busstop at the time it states on the timetable and you shouldn't be waiting long.

Neptune Stadium is correct - think its the 3 that goes close enough to it, but you'd have to go all the way round, comes in along the Watercourse Road - east of the where the Neptune stadium is on the map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

All exams in one place for me is so much win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

UCC exams have been going on in Neptune for donkey's years. It's an easy enough stroll from town and college runs buses to the venue for all exams.

I'd say the biggest worry this year would be last minute changes to on campus exams cause by a visit of one Mr. B Obama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

All exams in one place for me is so much win.

Ditto. All in either aula max or the student centre :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

The exam centres this year are ludicrous. I have 11 exams, all of which are spread throughout Cork. It's really not what I need before exams, it's distracting and very poorly thought out. I don't know why the OP is getting such abuse here.

At the end of the day, my exams are going to be the most stressful I will ever take, and the last thing I need is to be worrying about getting out to the Metropole, Neptune or CIT on top of an already stressful exam situation.

It annoys me mainly because it is needless, the bus service provided by UCC is inevitably dire and necessitates the use of taxis, and most importantly this practice is completely unnecessary and unneeded - there are plenty of potential exam centres throughout UCC that could be utilized with a little bit of work and organisation. This is the kind of thing I would like to see the SU actually do something about, because it's the kind of thing they can actually fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

You'd want to get your facts straight before you start shooting your mouth off. They did contact us about renovations in the Mardyke, if you'd check your student email.

Apologies after a thorough search of my email - I see we did receive one on March 25th. (I do check my student email every day but this one slipped me by.)
    As to the Neptune Stadium, exams have been held out there for years, and also in City Hall, which makes me think that you are a first year, since it is common knowledge that they are held there. The SU organise buses to and from Neptune, and other centres, which is fair enough. Having the exams in a lot of the rooms is not feasible, which is why the exams are held in the bigger halls.

So before you make a song and dance about things, ask rather than rant - because off campus locations for end of year exams has always been the way UCC has operated for years!

I love the mentality of people today. Just because it's been done for "years" does not make it right, logical, or that we should simply sit back and let it be! Seriously, if you're happy with the way it is then fine that's your lazy opinion. But I (and other students) have every right to question UCC's lack of planning and incompetence and will continue to do so in order to see things changed for the better.

It doesn't matter what year I'm in or for that matter where I come from - I could be an overseas student for all you know, and until reading my exam timetable it was only then I found out about the locations - therefore obviously it is NOT common knowledge.

Also you say it's been done for years... that means they've had years to resolve the problem. But instead of doing so they've continue to spend money in hiring these places out year after year - instead of investing that money back into UCC and the campus. Now where is the logic in that for the future of a University? And if you want to bring up the new-ish Western Gateway building - they obviously didn't do a very good job in the planning and (intented and future) use of that building since not many exams are being held there.
    UCC exams have been going on in Neptune for donkey's years. It's an easy enough stroll from town and college runs buses to the venue for all exams.
    See what I said above regarding that it's been done for "years".

Plus no it's not an easy enough stroll - you have to consider the whole student population. Not every student lives right on campus. Many, including myself commute each and every day from over 50kms away. So this just adds to an already stressfull day. This is why I've asked UCC their plans in helping students get to these locations - I'm still waiting to hear back from them! -.-

And just to add, I did turn my rant into something that would help other students so the abuse I've received in voicing my opinion is not warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

If it stresses you as much as you claim December just skip your exams and do the August repeats instead, from what i hear they're all held on campus.

Either that or just get on with it, there is plenty of city centre parking and public transport options to access all of UCC's exam centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Exams held in Neptune have never been considered a 'problem' that has needed fixing. It's rather unfortunate that this inconveniences you in particular but it's not a 'lazy' opinion to disagree with you :/ My home was over 50km from UCC too. Getting to Neptune was the absolute least of my problems (being prepared for the exams was more pertinent; to my mind.) I might wonder if you objecting to the fifteen-to-twenty minute walk up through Shandon is laziness itself. If you can get to UCC everyday, getting to Neptune from campus should be no skin off your nose.

Most lecture theatres are designed to be just that and not exam centers. The larger Boole lecture theatres (or the one in the Western Gateway Building) allow you to take notes in reasonable comfort and to be able to view and hear those on the stage; and are not designed for the purposes of a three hour exam that needs to be invigilated. Some classes are pretty big (there can be in excess of 400 in First Arts English) so no amount of forward planning will mitigate the need for an extra large venue (and we have these ... and we, er, then use them. Cork is a small city.)

You haven't received any 'abuse' either: you've been merely told that you might want to tone down the strength of your opinion seeing as it's not that well thought out. Sorry!

If it stresses you as much as you claim December just skip your exams and do the August repeats instead, from what i hear they're all held on campus.

This is your advice? I'm amazed at your response which in essence backs up my whole argument against those who are just so lazy and can't be arsed to fight for change. No wonder this whole country is in a mess!

http://paws.kettering.edu/~jhuggins/humor/banana.html

Either that or just get on with it, there is plenty of city centre parking and public transport options to access all of UCC's exam centres.

Put your money where you mouth is - stop giving vague 'solutions' and actually tell people about it in more depth. Links to the public transportation websites/timetables/bus stops etc. :) (Not everyone lives and breathes Cork city life :p.)

Also my point was UCC should be providing the students with this type of information and the solutions to get there. Since ofc not everyone reads boards and so undoubtably some students are going to be left without any coherent information on how to get to exam locations/parking facilties/public transport options.

I also think the SU should be getting heavily involved in this aswell - but I haven't heard/seen anything from them about this issue. The only mention of students being outraged was in the Express last week.

• Advertisement

Plautus wrote: »
    If you can get to UCC everyday, getting to Neptune from campus should be no skin off your nose.

I sincerely hope so, I'm very worried about getting lost (Cork isn't the best laid out city) and not making it in time - so much so I'll be scouting out the venues so I know exactly where they are in advance and how long it'll take me to get from A to B. And if I'm worried about this, then presumably alot of other students will be too.
    Plautus wrote: »
    Most lecture theatres are designed to be just that and not exam centers.
    Begs the question, why weren't they designed to function as both. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

This is your advice? I'm amazed at your response which in essence backs up my whole argument against those who are just so lazy and can't be arsed to fight for change. No wonder this whole country is in a mess!

"fight for change" are you having a laugh? you're idea of change is having a moan about UCC because you feel inconvenienced about not being able to park right outside an exam centre? ROFL. Btw you're the mature student here, it's your generation who've ****ed the country up so don't bother cribbing about my laziness.
    Put your money where you mouth is - stop giving vague 'solutions' and actually tell people about it in more depth. Links to the public transportation websites/timetables/bus stops etc. :) (Not everyone lives and breathes Cork city life :p.)

I didn't offer any solutions, just told you to stop being melodramatic about UCC's exam centre locations.
    Also my point was UCC should be providing the students with this type of information and the solutions to get there. Since ofc not everyone reads boards and so undoubtably some students are going to be left without any coherent information on how to get to exam locations/parking facilties/public transport options.

I also think the SU should be getting heavily involved in this aswell - but I haven't heard/seen anything from them about this issue. The only mention of students being outraged was in the Express last week.

The SU organise a bus, and afair, no one in my immediate circles has ever missed an exam or suffered stress because of the exam location. I'm not from the city either but managed to locate Neptune stadium with little hassle, in fact there's nothing better then a sharp brisk walk on a fine summer's day up to Neptune and soaking up the rays outside.

Btw you're the mature student here, it's your generation who've ****ed the country up so don't bother cribbing about my laziness.
    I may be a mature student (mid twenties) however I'm not from this country. So it's not me or my generation who made a mess of your country - that lies with your fellow citizens.

Either way I've highlighted some potential problems with this years exams and presumably the years to come - if things don't change. Maybe in time students will start to realise they don't have accept the way things have always been done - instead of keeping their heads stuck firmly in the sand.

And although being able to park in front of an exam centre would be pretty awesome, this hasn't been my issue. It's the lack of information that's bothered me - the UCC is assuming that all their students know where all these off-campus locations are and how to get to them. And that money is being squandered instead of being invested into UCC for it's future. (God help 'em in a few years time when the number of students increase and they want to study say English or History - they just won't have the room to house 'em all - not to mention not having the space come around exam time.)

Anyhoo, obviously I'm in the minority when it comes to this issue so I'll leave it off the boards. :)

I wish everyone the best of luck with their exams this summer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I'd say the biggest worry this year would be last minute changes to on campus exams cause by a visit of one Mr. B Obama

Arghh, didnt think of that. I've two exams on campus, but have holidays booked for the Fri 27th so exams better not change!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rememberthis

I always liked having exams in Neptune actually. There was more of a sense of calm out there. Anyway, I guess you are in University now, and should be more than capable of looking after yourself and find out things on your own. Cork city isn't New York or anything like, I guess it's just the inconvenience and lack of details that is annoying you, if so, then welcome to the big bad world. For me, I'd be more worried about the exam papers than how I get to the bleeding exams in the first place.

I always liked having exams in Neptune actually. There was more of a sense of calm out there.

Nice to know. I have a few exams in there and the calmer the atmosphere the better. :)
    Anyway, I guess you are in University now, and should be more than capable of looking after yourself and find out things on your own.

/golfclap for your condescending tone.

I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself - after travelling the world in the military and having lived in 4 countries I should be.

However, that's not the point. Not everyone is as well prepared as some and so if you had actually read my post you would've seen that I had researched and also linked the details of where these exam locations are - not just for myself, but for others who may not beaware of where they are.
    For me, I'd be more worried about the exam papers than how I get to the bleeding exams in the first place.

Bit of a catch 22 situation though wouldn't you agree? If you can't find the exam location then you can't sit your exam and so all that revision etc would be a pointless endeavour. :D (Either way the actual exams are not my main concern here as I have prepared for them.)

Like I said though, good luck to all. Hopefully this thread will help those that need it find their exam locations (see the links in the original post) and Rebel Girl provided some bus info if it's needed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Personally, I'm excited about having my exams at such varied locations! I know the inconvenience will probably tax my inability to handle stress on the day, but for now I can look forward to the prospect of wearing a fancy tophat to my exam in the Metropole. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Megglz wrote: »
    Arghh, didnt think of that. I've two exams on campus, but have holidays booked for the Fri 27th so exams better not change!

word is that both the Queen and Obama visits may cause serious disruption at UCC including exams.

As for Neptune, it has effectively been the main exam venue for as long as anyone can remember - walking up Shandon St is not that much of an imposition

metropole - strange choice but the No. 5 and 8 bus go from college to mccurtain st so no problem there

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

jacko1 wrote: »
    word is that both the Queen and Obama visits may cause serious disruption at UCC including exams.

As for Neptune, it has effectively been the main exam venue for as long as anyone can remember - walking up Shandon St is not that much of an imposition

metropole - strange choice but the No. 5 and 8 bus go from college to mccurtain st so no problem there

Queen arrives the 17 and leaves the 20th May, Obama arrives 22nd and leaves 4 days later I think - as to when they'll be in Cork I don't know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I hated doing exams in Neptune. For one of my exams in 4th year I was sitting right in front of the toilets and for some reason the overhead heaters were switched on...in May. All I got for 3 hours was the smell of piss. Anyway, Neptune isn't difficult to get to, it's a nice walk to do from UCC to clear your head before an exam. I did some of my first year exams there back in 2004 and I'm sure UCC had been using the place long before then too.

The hall in the student centre was a great place to do an exam. Everytime I sat an exam there I almost fell asleep for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Begs the question, why weren't they designed to function as both. :)

cos they're two fundamentally conflicting designs?

I cannot understand anyone's 'dilemma' with regards the new locations for the exams. As people have already mentioned there are numerous ways to get to the locations, the college communicated to students details of the new locations and it's quite clear they can;t hold them in the Mardyke or elsewhere on campus. It's more or less simple to get to the locations and it's like people are just complaining for the sake of complaining. There is a little thing called 'effort' and I'm sure it would work wonders in this situation.

I miss the formal exam setting of the end of year exams. I've only got 1 traditional exam in May due to having had continuous assessment all year -I'm currently sitting my last batch of exams this week. I've already passed the year! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

No offence but get some perspective. Cork is a tiny place, you can reach most if not all of the locations on foot, nevermind public transport, cars, buses laid on by students' union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Queen arrives the 17 and leaves the 20th May, Obama arrives 22nd and leaves 4 days later I think - as to when they'll be in Cork I don't know!

Obama won't be coming to Cork at all was the latest I'd heard?

tommy21 wrote: »
    Obama won't be coming to Cork at all was the latest I'd heard?

Really? tbh, I'd be surprised if he didn't considering he is invited to unveil a monument to Frederick Douglass, the first monument to an African-American in Ireland, and considering the number of times he referenced him in his St Patricks Day speech. I'd say he will want to, but whether he'll be able to is a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kensworld

Out of all the exam locations my favourite by far was the Mardyke. I loved doing exams there and thankfully I had more good days in there than bad ones.

Right, for anyone who has exams on Friday 20th May, be warned that the Queen is in town, so that there will be some disruptions to traffic
    Several roads in the city will be closed completely from 10am on Friday May 20, including the city centre areas of South Link Road (inbound), Station Road, Anglesea Street, South mall, Grand Parade, Patrick Street, Academy Street, Washington Street, Sheares Street and Dyke Parade. There will be no parking in these areas from 6pm on Thursday.

Between 12 noon and 4pm on Friday, there will be no access for pedestrians to Princess Street Upper and Washington Street from the junction with Grand Parade to South Main Street. Grand Parade will also be closed from the junction of Oliver Plunkett Street to Patrick Street; from St Augustine Street to Tuckey Street, and from the junction of Tuckey Street and Grand Parade to the Electric bar on South Mall.

I presume that there will be restrictions on movement around the college, considering that she will be visiting the Tyndall institute, which is less that 1km from the college. The Gardai will be searching pedestrians around the restricted areas as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

Way too late to this discussion but I get the OP's sentiment.

I have done exams for 3 years in neptune....... its an awful venue for students. I mean a ladies loo with 4 toilets and no bog roll.... hellooooo UCC, we need to wipe after we pee.... never mind how overactive ALL bladders are around exam time.

The parking round there is ****e and this year it was worse as there are more yellow lines. I got there an hour early and stalked exam students leaving the previous exams.

Anyway, the sitiuation on 22nd May was shocking,,,,, QE visit and no 'student support'.

Lads, get onto the new welfare and education officers (as I will) and say the situation was avoidable (we knew the mardyke would be unavailable from last July and we knew the QE would visit from Feb)and they should have planned ahead on behalf of their students!

• Advertisement

OP just wondering, how did you find the exam locations in the end?

I went to UCC for two years in '01/02 to finish off my degree from another college, and I must say initially I felt a bit put out by the locations. I had no car, too broke for buses, taxis, although I lived at the back of Brookfield, so used to walk EVERYWHERE anyway...

This was LONG before Google maps, never mind Google Street View...I remember being like a tourist with a Cork street map trying to find Neptune Stadium, did a 'dry run' to gauge the time and distance getting there on foot the evening before the exam !! I had a couple of exams there, a few in Tennis Village, Highfield Rugby club, some on campus but to be honest, that was the least of my worries, thankfully I made good use of the month off before the exams, gosh, UCC is so generous when it comes to giving time to study for Summer exams, other colleges give like, a week !! UCC isn't the only college who has to use off campus external exam centres, with the thousands of students sitting hundereds of exams it would not be possible to have them all on campus anyway, EVEN if the lecture theatres were designed to cater as BOTH lecture halls and as exam centres (I don't know what you meant that they should've been designed as such, to be honest, how ????? )

I got a strong 2H1 in the end, and the trekking to and from exam centres is now a distant memory now.....

Anyway December, hope your exams went really well regardless. ;)

Advertisement