Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atlantic 252 - terrible radio?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I loved 252 in the mid/late 90's. I was working and travelling all over the country and had 252 tuned in permanently. It was the only station that you could recieve without having to retune the radio (pre-RDS times) and the music was current and excellent in my opinion. I was on the road at all hours of the day/night and the only time i might change over would be to listen to the news on the hour but then it was straight back to 252. I would have continued listening to it except for the fact that they changed the format to talk radio which i had no interest in. I dont have LW on my car stereo any more and so cannot comment on the current format but i can imagine that the LW sound quality fails miserably in comparison to FM stereo quality but i got great value from it back in the 90's.

Nowadays every time i hear Your woman by White Town and Feel it by The Tamperer i'm reminded of 252 as they played them constantly when they were in the charts in 97 & 98 and when i was doing huge mileage each week. I still love them songs today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

CJC999 wrote: »
    I dont have LW on my car stereo any more and so cannot comment on the current format
    Current "format" is RTE Radio 1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

My first car had only MW and LW Radio and no tape facility - never mind CD player! Atlantic 252 was a Godsend at the time as I could pick it up anywhere in the country - sadly Century Radio was not great for picking up on MW.

As others have said, it was a very influential station. I accept that over time it became very repetitive. Then, I changed car and that was the problem solved!

Here are just some of the people (and you should certainly recognoise some of these names) who did stints on Atlantic 252:
    Brian McColl (Nails Mahoney)
    Liam Coburn (Batman Gomez)
    Rick O'Shea
    Enda Caldwell
    Mark Byrne
    Al Dunne
    Paul Kavanagh
    Steve Hayes (Hollywood Haze)
    Henry Condon (Henry Owen)
    Derek Flood
    Dusty Rhodes
    Simon Bates (possibly syndicated)
    Dickie Bow
    Cliff Walker
    Pizzaman
    Bam-Bam
    Cousin Brucie
    Jo King
    Jeff Graham
    Charlie Wolf
    Andrew Turner
    Kevin Palmer
    "Magic" Marc Henry
    Mark Noble
    Tony West
    Mark King
    Robin Banks
    Mary Ellen O'Brien
    Desparate Dan

What about Sandy Beach...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Greg Parke

There is a lot of people missing from that list. Here is a link to a roll call which has almost everyone. Its information hasn't been updated for a while. http://www.atlantic252.co.uk/

Also this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_252

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Greg Parke wrote: »
    There is a lot of people missing from that list. Here is a link to a roll call which has almost everyone. Its information hasn't been updated for a while. http://www.atlantic252.co.uk/

Also this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_252

I have spotted at least one inaccuracy in relation to Charlie Wolf on the Atalantic 252 website mentioned above. He was not the breakfast dj in the initial lineup. That accolade goes to Gary King. Initially, Charlie was on around teatime. I think he closed off the weekday's broadcasts - remember it used to shut down at 7pm in the early days? It would have been some months later in 1990, when Gary King left for BBC Radio One, that Charlie got his breakfast gig. Is it correct that Charlie left in 1992 - I thought he was there longer, but I could be wrong about that.

In relation to Jeff Graham (one of the people with question marks on that website), I know that he left Atlantic at some point in the early '90s to be PD for Radio Luxembourg. Not too long after that (a year at the outset), Jeff oversaw Radio Luxembourg's move from medium wave to the Astra satellite.

The following are not mentioned at all on that website: Mark Byrne, Marc Henry, Simon Bates, Liam Coburn/Batman Gomez, Wayne Scales, Jo King, Mark Noble, Jeremy Dixon, Pizzaman and Desperate Dan (Dan the Hitman perhaps?). Johnny Beerling was not mentioned either, buit I believe that was yet another persona for Steve Hayes/Hollywood Haze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why *did* Atlantic 252 DJ's use pseudonyms? I always found that really cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Greg Parke

Exactly Declan, that site is not 100% like so many although it seems it was still researching by the time everything stopped there for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

When driving you could listen to it anywhere in the country, brilliant at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Declan, I didn't know Mark Noble was on 252, is this the same guy currently on FM104?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Declan, I didn't know Mark Noble was on 252, is this the same guy currently on FM104?

I could have sworn that I heard or read something quite some time ago linking FM104's Mark Noble with Atlantic 252. But now I cannot find anything concrete.

Could somebody confirm whether or not Mark Noble was with 252?

My apologies if I got this one wrong.

Advertisement