Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer to ul

Options
  • 02-04-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hey all
    Would it be possible to transfer from a engineering course (level 8) in Cit to do mechanical engineering in ul. im a first year by the way and would i be allowed go into go into the second year.
    My reason for asking this is that ul mech engineering was the course i wanted to do when i was back in secondary school, i couldnt do it because i didnt get the honours math requirement, but the course i have done has brought me up to Honours maths/engineering level 8 maths standard.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Hi I know that after doing the two year accoungting or marketing level 6 course in LIT you can transfer over into UL if your grades are good enough, Id assume the same goes for engineering but you should e-mail the education officer and ask her, she also has a thread on the Ul forum so you could ask the question there too. goodluck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vonniec

Hey,

A friend of mine transferred from Galway down to Limerick Biomed Engineering. They're all the same in first year in UL... Get in contact with one of the Course Directors - Phillip Griffin is the Mechs Director, or the Department Head - John Jarvis... I'd imagine you'll have to repeat first year though, according to our lecturers, IT engineering is alot more practical than university engineering...more maths (proofs, derivatives from first principles etc..). That's why the higher standard of maths is needed.

Get in contact with Dr. Griffin. From my experience with him, he's sound out and will help you in anyway he can:
    mail philip.griffin@ul.ie or call +35361234235

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 like a ninja

Thanks all for the replys.
    I am going to have a deep think about what i want to do, Is there any date or time that a transfer request has to be made before?

degrees from ITs and Universities are basically the same arent they? but one from a university looks better and may be more appealing to an employer, i dont know if this actually the case.

Basically all i am asking would there be any advantages in swaping over.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 the candy man

i do first year mech eng in u.l and i have a friend doing it in c.i.t lvl 8 and from what he tells me the first year of the two courses are quite different so you prob will have to repeat first year if you do. philip griffen is sound out dow he will be helpfull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vonniec

I couldn't tell you what advantages/disadvantages are, it'd be a personal thing really. If you think the maths was a struggle going through the leaving cert, expect it to be the same for at least three or four of your modules each semester though.

I'd imagine an engineering degree is the same everywhere, don't hold me to that though!!

If I were you I'd stay in CIT, get the best grade I can and come three years down the line, if I felt it wasn't enough apply for a Masters in Engineering somewhere... It'd look even better on your CV and probably cost around the same as repeating the entire year in UL (where you'd have to pay full fees because you've already completed first year in CIT).

• Advertisement
Advertisement