Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaner destroyed 1 part of 2 piece suit

Options
  • 02-04-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where I stand on this regarding replacement or whatever. Gave in a 2 piece suit and the trousers are now destroyed. Scorched/discoloured in a big patch on the leg.

I was told to ring back in on Tuesday to talk to the Manager about getting it sorted.

It wasn't a brand new suit is the thing, but still, what am I entitled to if the damage isn't repairable...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would write a letter enclosing a quote for a replacement. If possible from where you bought the outfit. Shops are used to filling out this, you might have to pick it up 30 mins later if the person can't leave the till to write it.

Just say the suit cost €320 and it is 8 years old I would ask for €100 to replace it. I think this would be fair to both side as you cannot demand €320.

Think what the insurance company will give you for a written off 8 yr old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nevore wrote: »
    It wasn't a brand new suit is the thing, but still, what am I entitled to if the damage isn't repairable...

Is there a disclaimer notice on display in the dry cleaners? You can be certain that there is so I'd advise you to go and have a look at it before proceeding any further. The manager and you may come to an amicable agreement, see how you get on with him before considering any legal action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You are entitled to whatever it costs to replace the goods destroyed if the damage was caused by some negligence on the part of the shop. Most drycleaners spend quite a few days a month at the small claims court trying to argue their case.

Advertisement