Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Spice Company

Options
  • 02-04-2011 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Went to Indian Spice last night to order my usual dishes - only to be told that they are short staffed / have new staff in the kitchen and as a consequence, they are only offering a very reduced menue for the next few weeks. No prawn dishes at all. :(
    I've been ordering my food there for a long time now and the two men working last night were new to me;
    Is it under new ownership?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

No, it's not under new ownership. Unfortunately one of their main chefs fractured his hand and to make matters worse, their other main chef is away on annual leave at the moment - hence the hired help for the interim. Normal service is due to resume shortly.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tradewinds

Good news. Thanks for the information. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

dam just got another very average take-away from the Royal Park,think it's gone down hill big style and i never think of IS which is far superior imo although maybe unfair to compare chinese/indian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Royal park? Is that still open? Surely everyone in Ireland knows how poor it is by now.

Royal park? Is that still open? Surely everyone in Ireland knows how poor it is by now.

well smart hole the place is always full on the w/e so NO everyone in Ireland doesn't know,btw ur missing a few:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:'s

• Advertisement

You buy very average take aways, say how it's gone down... But it's always full? Everyone in Ireland with taste buds and the sense not buy low grade take away time and again knows it's bad. :)

You buy very average take aways, say how it's gone down... But it's always full? Everyone in Ireland with taste buds and the sense not buy low grade take away time and again knows it's bad. :)

Your grammer is very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

heavyballs wrote: »
    dam just got another very average take-away from the Royal Park,think it's gone down hill big style and i never think of IS which is far superior imo although maybe unfair to compare chinese/indian

My auntie really cant get her head around the difference between Indian curry and Chinese curry. Ive given up trying to explain. She also now realises she doesnt like spicy food after trying my vindaloo.

I liked ISC a lot. But it is v expensive. Had a curry back home in S. London two weeks back, and the same price for two at ISC, fed 6. They do struggle with cooking their spuds though for the Saag Aloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Last warning for trolling.
    heavyballs wrote: »
    well smart hole the place is always full on the w/e so NO everyone in Ireland doesn't know,btw ur missing a few:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:'s

Please do not insult others.

Thread reopened due to some requests via pm.

Anymore messing and it will be locked instantly.

Thanks,

Damo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Is Spice still open?
    Tried calling from 1730 - had to leave work and then rang again around 7 when I made it home but still the message that it was closed and what the opening hours were - 5pm to....

Hoping someone knows if they are still around as that food is damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

They were open on Sunday evening.

Its closed on Mondays for the moment - Conversely, they will be open on the Easter Monday (25th April) which is a public holiday.

It looks bad that I know so much....damn good food keeps me going back!

astrofluff wrote: »
    Its closed on Mondays for the moment - Conversely, they will be open on the Easter Monday (25th April) which is a public holiday.

It looks bad that I know so much....damn good food keeps me going back!

Glad to hear - ended up getting a great pizza instead.
    Shame about Mondays - shame the sites we visited had no mention - but glad to know either way :)

Cheers for the update. Roll on the weekend - might just have a takeaway then too if I get in enough miles on the bike.

I believe it is traditional for most take away/restaurants to be closed on Mondays. Certainly in the UK it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

I believe it is traditional for most take away/restaurants to be closed on Mondays. Certainly in the UK it is.

I thought it was always open on Monday's before, and their advertising blurb says so:
    http://www.takeaway.ie/indian-spice-company-greystones?tnsid=c7a920cd65aead77eb0c23512ac930b1

Possibly at this time with reduced staff they are closing on Mondays...

darter wrote: »
    I thought it was always open on Monday's before...

yes it was
    darter wrote: »
    Possibly at this time with reduced staff they are closing on Mondays...

I believe this is the correct assumption.

Perhaps the simple proferring of these questions to the staff would elicit a response thereby negating the need for the further elongation of this thread.

Are my comments not enough? I did say I'm in there all too often!

Perhaps the simple proferring of these questions to the staff would elicit a response thereby negating the need for the further elongation of this thread.

Please leave modding to the mod's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I am disappointed by their restricted menu which to be honest has gone on way too much longer than it should. No take away in my opinion can run a restricted menu for that long and not damage its reputation. Surely a business like this should have contingency plans or make plans without letting this go on for so long.

Can anyone say if this restriction is still in place? I ordered over the phone for delivery now well over a month ago and a polite lady gave me some reason as to why i could not order the food i wanted, i changed my order to something else after looking forward to my first choice of meal.
    I then rang two weeks later and this time a man answered the phone, he spoke very quickly and came across rude just saying sharply that my chosen meals are not available and to choose something else.

when done right their meals are great. unfortunately about 50% of the time i have to reheat the food in a microwave as it is cold by the time it gets to my door, with this in mind and the and the fact our fave meals are not available at the moment i am not sure if i will use their services again.

Jimjay wrote: »
    I am disappointed by their restricted menu which to be honest has gone on way too much longer than it should.

Would be nice to know why they have restricted staff (surely there are lots of people who could cook Indian food???) and when the proper menu will be restored.

The restricted menu is very limited, and I won't order from there again until the full menu is restored. :(

Really? You're complaining they don't have a contingency plan? Honestly the business is clearly having issues and I don't think backseat managing is helping. If time is what is needed to find a superb chef then so be it. This forum has contributed to the demise of one takeaway already let's not deride another.

hhhmm,and you're complaining about people making negative comments ...........please,come on

This forum has contributed to the demise of one takeaway already let's not deride another.

Nonsense. This forum merely spread the news about the Irish Independent article in December listing "copious rat droppings" as the reason for the health order closure and highlighted that the owner lied to his valued customers about why the takeaway was closed. In and of itself this forum did nothing to contribute to the "demise" of a takeaway that was a health hazard - the owner did it all himself. Good damn riddance.

Really? You're complaining they don't have a contingency plan?

No I am not. I am complaining that the situation of the same reduced menu has gone on for too long. I have tried the reduced menu, and it's ok but very limited, so I won't be trying it again. If they cycled the reduced menu and had different options each week, then yes I would order at least once every week, as I have been doing for years now.

I love the place, and want it to get back to what it was, and have been supporting it in its challenging times by ordering. I just don't understand why the contingency plan isn't a short term contingency. There are lots of superb Indian food chefs that could be brought over from the UK for example on short or long term contracts to get them over their current difficulties.

Heck, I might have to start cooking Indian food myself again! (I was taught many years ago by a Punjabi how to cook Indian food.)

Restricted or not - I still personally prefer the meals from here to the other "Indian" restaurant in the town.

Hope Indian Spice pull through - the foods here really do remind me of some of the best Indians I have had abroad. Until finding this place I had given up on having a decent Indian meal after my last evening in C's.

I also really find forums like this great - yes they can be used to highlight shortcomings in chains - but they are also a great source of normally honest feedback - something that most companies have to PAY for...

I mean - just look over the last few posts.
    1. Website not reflecting actual opening hours.
    2. Restricted menu causing boredom
    3. Cold food being delivered.
    4. Discourteous phone staff (this is unforgivieable in a service orientated market and needs immediate addressing).

+'s
    1. Amazing food
    2. A store doing all they can to stay open.
    3. Friendly staff (my experience :) ) - though busy which is also good.

All of these can be simply and quickly addressed - a simple post here by someone using the restaurant (hate the word takeaway for this restaurant as the food here equals/surpasses the food I have had in many fine Indian restaurants - favourite is a tie between Budapest/Penang).

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Really? You're complaining they don't have a contingency plan? Honestly the business is clearly having issues and I don't think backseat managing is helping. If time is what is needed to find a superb chef then so be it. This forum has contributed to the demise of one takeaway already let's not deride another.

Are you serious? They have been on a limited menu for far too long which Is the only reason that stopped me buying from them. How is this not more damaging than complaints on a forum? They are doing a good enough job ruining their business, not us who complain about it on boards. And if you really think a bunch of peeps on boards contributed to a closure of a take away then you have delirious illusions about the power of this place. Good quality service, food and prices keeps a place open. Poor service and closures due to health issues etc closes places.

I think the food was great, when it did not arrive cold and hope they do sort out their problems.

Again, coming on here and complaining helps the business how? All it does it tell everyone else to avoid the place without letting them form their own opinions.

Your complaints would have been better directed to the staff and left at that. All you have done is propagate your ill feeling.

A reduced menu for some might be perfect, who knows.

• Advertisement

If there is a positive to gain for this temporary situation is that the reduced menu has taken me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to try other dishes that I haven't tried before!

Advertisement