Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Spice Company

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 doylerd

Haven't had one in years but used to frequently get Butter Chicken or Punk Rock Chicken which, even for a vindaloo, was incredibly hot. Was a top notch indian though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Really like Indian Spice so hope they can sort it all out, noticed recently that the delays collecting are so long though, little bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

One of the chefs has gone home to India on holidays for 2 months I think( cant remember exactly what he told mum) so that would account for some of the short staffing, in fairness the other chef breaking his hand is just a freak accident that they couldn't have foreseen

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Bought from Indian Spice last week. They are back with a brand new menu (mostly older items but some new ones, such as Goa shrimp - lovely!) and reduced prices. Sadly, one of my favourite side orders, channa masala, is gone. No idea why.

Glad to see Indian Spice back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

darter wrote: »
    Bought from Indian Spice last week. They are back with a brand new menu (mostly older items but some new ones, such as Goa shrimp - lovely!) and reduced prices. Sadly, one of my favourite side orders, channa masala, is gone. No idea why.

Glad to see Indian Spice back!

Yea i loved Channa Masala. You should ask, they'll prolly do it for you. We used to get a Dansak and it wasnt on the menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Delganyman

I think 'brand new menu' is stretching it. One or two new dishes but basically the same if not even less than was offered before. Still reasonable quality and prices but overall this menu is a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

yep, looks like a few dishes are off the menu - namely bricklane beef and one of the lamb dishes (one which I enjoyed alot!) Anyways, the menu looks like it is more stream-lined - perhaps they have cut out the less popular ones to make the menu more manageable and cost effective in-house - I suppose by doing this they can also adjust the prices downwards for us??? Just guessing really.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    yep, looks like a few dishes are off the menu - namely bricklane beef and one of the lamb dishes (one which I enjoyed alot!) Anyways, the menu looks like it is more stream-lined - perhaps they have cut out the less popular ones to make the menu more manageable and cost effective in-house - I suppose by doing this they can also adjust the prices downwards for us??? Just guessing really.

That would be a very reasonable guess. Why reduce selection? Only because the less popular choices were too expensive to keep carrying I would assume.

Having said that, one new one is aloo channa (chick peas and potatoes). If they can do aloo channa, can't they simply do a chana masala, which is chick peas with potatoes but without the potatoes? As ciaran67 said, I'm sure they'll do it if I ask.

The side orders are about half price from before, but the portions are smaller too. Which is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Yea i loved Channa Masala. You should ask, they'll prolly do it for you. We used to get a Dansak and it wasnt on the menu.

they have channa aloo on the menu, I'm sure they can do it without the aloo.

also disappointed to see they've dropped the beef dish, it was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dmckeown

I had an indian at lunch today in Donnybrook.. only served to remind me how good Indian Spice really is. Railway lamb, murgh kadai.... unbeatable!

• Advertisement

I've had the wraps off the Blackboard Special - absolutely savage. Now I would not normally post something about food unless there was something to rave about. There are two reasons, the first is they are delicious, of course, the second is Indian Spice are contributing towards volunteers workin on 'Haiti Built it Week'. €1 contribution per wrap so they say.

There are two wraps, one chicken (€6.50) and one chickpea (€5.50) in an Indian flatbread with fresh salad - I have tried both, and they're bloomin' amazing. There is also a choice of dressing, either mint raita or garlic and chilli. I like a little bit of spice and heat in my Indian cuisine so went with the garlie and chillie on both occassions.

So if you're peckish, do try them - I don't think you'll be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Right...just went down to Indian Spice to collect 2 x Railway Lamb (1 Hot for me and 1 medium for the wife).
    Initial feedback is that I'm completely underwhelmed.:(
    No difference in heat between the two dishes.....and paying that price for 5 average sized pieces of lamb in a very watery sauce.....I can honestly say I'm sorry I ever picked up the phone to order.
    No point in complaining to the staff....they are the most ignorant customer unfriendly individuals I've ever encountered.
    My two cents....but don't let that put you off....try for yourself. Personally I'll be heading back to Chakra next time.

Coincidence or what...had railway lamb myself tonight...totally agree, sauce was watery - was not satisfied...will be sending in a complaint tomorrow. A rare disappointment. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Delganyman

Unfortunately have to agree with astrofluff and birdwatcher. The food has gone downhill since the revised menu came out. They also need to be more customers friendly. For example, they do a Prawn Bhuna but try asking for a lamb or chicken version and the answer is no. I’m presuming that the sauce is already made so they just add the meat so not a big deal. Any other take-a-way will try to accommodate the customer. They also seem to be not as busy. There was a time when you could be on hold for 5-10 mins on a Saturday night but now it’s straight through. Back to Chakra take-a-way for us.

Delganyman wrote: »
    The food has gone downhill since the revised menu came out. They also need to be more customers friendly.

I disagree with you on your first point. Bought from Indian Spice a lot since the new menu came out, and was never disappointed. Esp. the new Goa Prawn is great. Don't eat meat, so can't speak for the meat dishes. There are far fewer side dishes though, which is a disappointment.

I agree on the 2nd point. I asked for a chana masala, as they used to have. Should be easy to do - just make a dish without potatoes. But no.

It's actually a good thing that they don't have a generic sauce that they throw whatever (beef, prawns, lamb) into and cook for a few minutes, but cook it properly from the start. Sign of an excellent authentic Indian kitchen.

I'm certainly staying with Indian Spice!

darter wrote: »
    I agree on the 2nd point. I asked for a channa masala, as they used to have. Should be easy to do - just make a dish without potatoes. But no.

They have no issues with me asking for Aloo Channa without the aloo! It's very rare I ask for something with or without an ingredient that they can't accommodate. Obviously you can't ask for the sauce not have have something like corriander seeds!!!

Have you tried the paneer dishes Darter? If you like heat try the Kadhai Paneer. I mostly would have the chicken version of that one. Exceptional dish.

...try the Kadhai Paneer...

One of my favourites!

Just an update from what i can see:

There'll be a new menu out soon - was talking with one of the staff and a Chicken madras will be on the menu. they did a beef madras about two months ago and the sauce was amazing.

The other thing I noticed is that they have a facebook page Indian Spice Co. So 'Like' that if you want to see what the Specials are!

Also, online ordering is going to be available although I'm not sure if I'm quite there about ordering food online. I like to speak to someone to make sure all is good and how long it will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Just an update from what i can see:

There'll be a new menu out soon - was talking with one of the staff and a Chicken madras will be on the menu. they did a beef madras about two months ago and the sauce was amazing.

The other thing I noticed is that they have a facebook page Indian Spice Co. So 'Like' that if you want to see what the Specials are!

Also, online ordering is going to be available although I'm not sure if I'm quite there about ordering food online. I like to speak to someone to make sure all is good and how long it will be!

I moved away from indian spice after a couple of poor experiences and now always order online through bombay pantry. You can choose a time for delivery on the online order form and if the delivery is going to be late they always call to let me know, this last weekend they called just to say the delivery had left their building. Just because you order on the phone doesnt mean that it will be when they say. Got fed up with indian spice saying it would be 45 mins then an hour and a half i have to call an then it turns up cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

We gave up on the reduced menu and tried Bombay Pantry for a while, but the food was starting to arrive cold and the quality was getting steadily worse. A take-away is a big treat for us so we gave up on them too. We got a newer menu in from Indian Spice recently, tried it again and it was great! Being able to order any meal as a clamp-down mid-week is a fantastic idea too - great value for money. Will definitely try it again next time we treat ourselves to an Indian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

We gave up on the reduced menu and tried Bombay Pantry for a while, but the food was starting to arrive cold and the quality was getting steadily worse. A take-away is a big treat for us so we gave up on them too. We got a newer menu in from Indian Spice recently, tried it again and it was great! Being able to order any meal as a clamp-down mid-week is a fantastic idea too - great value for money. Will definitely try it again next time we treat ourselves to an Indian.

Cool, sounds good will give them another try. From my experiences most take aways have the same problems regarding cold deliveries. Sometimes food is excelent sometimes its ok, when you think you find a good one you get a dissapointing meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭desoc32

Hi, i ordered from Indian Spice tonight May bank holiday Monday and i think i died and went to heaven! The food was just as good as i remembered as i haven't been there for nearly 4 years. I was also delighted to see Raj and Uttam (original chefs) still working in the kitchen! Also i only had to wait for 25 mins for collection which is great considering it's all freshly cooked. Highly recommend it and i think it could be a weekly event now that i'm local again :D

Advertisement