Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bring my car to Holland?

Options
  • 02-04-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I have been offered a 6 month contract with a manufacturing company in Holland. I am considering in bringing my car over there.

Would an Irish insurance company insure you for 6 months abroad?

I am not sure if its worth all the hassle as the Dutch have very good public transport. The only reason I plan on bringing it, is to bring around my golf clubs to the golf courses nearby (as there isn't really any other way getting to them) and do some driving at weekends. I will be using the train and a bike to get to work.

If all goes well with the new job I could be saying longer in Holland.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

i think you can rent cars by the hour in holland. there are a few pick up points around amsterdam. probably easier than bringing your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

All Irish insurerd which provide you with car insurance, are obliged to provide you with minimum legally required cover in any EU country for the whole period of insurance policy.

There's few doubts though.
    1. Legally required cover is usually third party, so if your car is worth anything more, remember it probably won't be covered for fire, theft or own car damage.
    2. There might be some limitations on how long you can drive a foreign car in each country. Usually this is one year or half year, but some countries might be exceptions, and as far as I heard something Holland might be one of them.
    3. Your insurance company, might try to tell you, that if you live there in Holland, so you are no longer resident in Ireland, and they are not able to provide you with cover anymore. But generally if you don't spend there more than half a year, you shouldn't be considered as resident there.

Advertisement