Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eat as much as you want Restaurants

Options
  • 02-04-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend a eat as much as you want restaurant in central Dublin. I was introduced to the idea by a pal who took me to the Jimmy Cheung’s on Eden Quay. If you go at the right time it is cheap and if you like chicken you will be happy.

We were planning another trip into town and I said I would ask you good people for advice on a new venue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

there is a chinese restaurant on middle abbey street just around the corner from supermacs on o connell street that does all you can eat for E8.95 including a drink I've eaten there a few times, I love the grub yum yum yum getting hungry just thinking about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Pizza Hut do a lunchtime buffet. I think it's a tenner, and is all you can eat from 12 until 4 on suffolk street.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved to Dublin City forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is also jimmy chungs on eden quay and a few in the epicurian on middle abbey street/liffey street (indian, chinese, italian)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Mongolian Barbeque is all you can eat - you make up your own dish and go up as often as you like (rice is refilled as required).

There's at least 3 in the Moore St. Mall - I think "Spicy Bite" is particularly good (and only €6.50). It's Indian/Pakistani food. There's a 2nd Indian one there as well as an African all-you-can eat.

• Advertisement

While I ain't criticising the All You Can eat places, it does seem to be mainly Asian restaurants only doesn't it?

Also.........100th Post!!! Wahoooooooooo!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

While I ain't criticising the All You Can eat places, it does seem to be mainly Asian restaurants only doesn't it?
    [/B]

How's that a criticism? It's usually because there's a wide selection of food so you can get a lot of different things on your plate. No one wants a "all you can eat" burger king. It kinda gets boring after the first burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

there's one of those in the epicurean food hall just off Liffey Street

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Out of "Dublin City", but the Chinese in there (China Buffet King?) is very good, if a little expensive, for an all you can eat.

Also used to be one on Baggot St, Changs if im not mistaken. Not sure if it's still there tho?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wixfjord wrote: »
    Out of "Dublin City", but the Chinese in there (China Buffet King?) is very good, if a little expensive, for an all you can eat.

where is this place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

wixfjord wrote: »
    Also used to be one on Baggot St, Changs if im not mistaken. Not sure if it's still there tho?

Gone. Awful, like the vast majority of all-you-can-eat places. False economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

All you can eat is just sooooo disgusting!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I dunno, don't know if you've ever been broke or on hard times. I was in the Epicurean food hall today and the Asian buffet had three curry's, rice, noodles, chicken legs, chicken wings, prawn crackers, black bean sauce beef, two salads and a few other bits and pieces. It was fine. I know it's not fine dining, but considering it was all you can eat for €9 it was grand.

where is this place?

Oh sorry! it's in Dundrum TC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

10,000 on middle abbey street, before the luas gets to the Jervis Centre.
    I think it's about 6-7 max for all you can eat. Nice place with nice people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭van der vart

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I dunno, don't know if you've ever been broke or on hard times. I was in the Epicurean food hall today and the Asian buffet had three curry's, rice, noodles, chicken legs, chicken wings, prawn crackers, black bean sauce beef, two salads and a few other bits and pieces. It was fine. I know it's not fine dining, but considering it was all you can eat for €9 it was grand.

Rambo can eat things that would make a billy goat puke ( first blood)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Aren't there heart-attack levels of salt in the majority of the Chinese food you'd get in an all-you-can-eat place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    No one wants a "all you can eat" burger king.

Speak for yourself! I'd be all over that. Build myself a quintuple Angus with cheese and bacon and maybe some onion rings on top. Then regret eating it for the next 24 hours.
    Aren't there heart-attack levels of salt in the majority of the Chinese food you'd get in an all-you-can-eat place?

Not salt, MSG is the killer ingredient here and not just in buffet but most chinese food places-
    According to the FDA, MSG Symptom Complex or MSG side effects can result in:

Numbness

Burning sensation

Tingling

Facial pressure or tightness

Chest pain

Headache

Nausea

Rapid heartbeat

Drowsiness

Weakness

Difficulty breathing for asthmatics

"All forms of MSG (free glutamic acid that occurs in food as a consequence of manufacture) cause these reactions in MSG-sensitive people. That includes MSG found in a plant "growth enhancer" called AuxiGro, and MSG found in a variety of other fertilizers and fungicides that have been approved for spraying on growing crops, including crops identified as "organic.""
    According to various independent studies show MSG reaction or MSG side effects can result in the following symptoms:

"Cardiac - Arrhythmia, Atrial fibrillation, Tachycardia, Rapid heartbeat, Palpitations, Slow heartbeat, Angina, Extreme rise or drop in blood pressure

Circulatory - Swelling

Gastrointestinal - Diarrhea, Nausea/vomiting, Stomach cramps, Rectal bleeding, Bloating

Muscular - Flu-like achiness, Joint pain, Stiffness

Neurological - Depression, Mood swings, Rage reactions, Migraine headache, Dizziness, Light-headedness, Loss of balance, Disorientation, Mental confusion, Anxiety, Panic attacks, Hyperactivity, Behavioral problems in children, Attention deficit disorders, Lethargy, Sleepiness, Insomnia, Numbness or paralysis, Seizures, Sciatica, Slurred speech, Chills and shakes, Shuddering

Visual - Blurred vision, Difficulty focusing, Pressure around eyes

Respiratory - Asthma, Shortness of breath, Chest pain, Tightness in the chest, Runny nose, Sneezing

Urological / Genital - Bladder pain (with frequency), Swelling of the prostate, Swelling of the vagina, Vaginal spotting, Frequent urination, Nocturia

Skin - Hives (may be both ..internal and external), Rash, Mouth lesions, Temporary tightness or partial paralysis, numbness or tingling of the skin, Flushing, Extreme dryness of the mouth, Face swelling, Tongue swelling, Bags under eyes"

Many people react to the MSG experience. They are not always benign or transient. According to Dr. George Schwartz author of "In Bad Taste: MSG Syndrome" his patients "have developed neurological conditions similar to Giles de la Tourette Syndrome, Trigeminal Neuralgia, and unspecific symptoms mimicking multiple sclerosis and muscle degeneration."

Dr. Schwartz also states, "In our practice we have observed reactions of severe palpitations, heart rhythm disturbances and liver abnormalities. Psychological disturbances including depression and anxiety attacks have also been seen after MSG ingestion. Gastrointestinal distress, headaches, dizziness and mental confusion are not unknown in these reactions, and asthma attacks are of great concern.

Particularly distressing are the hyperactivity and learning disorders that can be attributed to the absorption of monosodium glutamate by children. They symptoms are often misdiagnosed and attributed to "junk food."

One of the questions frequently asked is why this additive produces so many diverse symptoms? One assumption is that it strikes where the patient is most vulnerable, the brain being most often affected.

It is not unusual to suffer a variety of side effects when dealing with a substance that shocks the nervous system."

Lads, it's all you can eat for €9.

It's not health food, it's fast food, but you won't drop dead the second it touches your lips.

It's cheap fare in the city centre, not your staple diet.

There's way more dangerous things to be panicking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

woah that is some eating - i feel ill after reading that!

temply wrote: »
    woah that is some eating - i feel ill after reading that!

I didn't eat all that!! That was what was on offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Lads, it's all you can eat for €9.

It's not health food, it's fast food, but you won't drop dead the second it touches your lips.

It's cheap fare in the city centre, not your staple diet.

There's way more dangerous things to be panicking about.

€9 not that cheap for crappy food. I'd rather cook myself for a lot less something decent. Or try Govindas, delicious veggie food, big portions, I think prices start at 6.50 for one., we usually split the medium plate between 2, so works out at 4.25 each! Few places do good early birds too, eg Ciao Bella Roma, €8.95 for starter, main course, and glass of wine.

The only all you can eat I've tried is Jimmy Chungs and it was foul, really poor quality, and not tasty, and as we went for the dinner option, not at all cheap.

I have heard good things about some Indian all you can eat spots, up around Mary st I think, will have to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

LOL

sorry Rambo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Don't you know that All-You-Can-Eat places are challenges to eat all the food they have?

Yeah!! Ever see the Eastern European body builders in there? I'd say the owners hearts sink when they come in.

dearg lady wrote: »
    €9 not that cheap for crappy food. I'd rather cook myself for a lot less something decent.

How do you know it's crappy if you haven't tried it? Anyway, yeah, I agree about cooking something nice for yourself, but if you are stuck in town STARVING, or just don't have the time they are dead handy. They may not be for you, but they are very popular. I remember seeing them in Sydney years ago and wishing they were in Dublin.
    dearg lady wrote: »
    The only all you can eat I've tried is Jimmy Chungs and it was foul

Haven't tried that one, but thanks for the review! You are dead on about the early birds, some cracking offers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Anyone try the one on Moore Street yet? Looks like it does Indian, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Italian and 'American' food all in the one place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I know its a little out of the city but I was in a Chinese on Collin's Avenue a few weeks ago that did all you can eat for 10 euro.The grub was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I've only tried one - Cheungs on Eden Quay and it is lovely. €8.90 from 12.00 to 4.30 and 13.90 after that. Either way, its top food. They have a starter section with soup, wings, skewers, salads, spring rolls etc. Then main courses, chicken, pork, beef, prawns etc. Then side orders like chips, mixed veg, noodles, rice etc. To round it off they have desserts where you can pour your own beautiful ice-cream. Whats not to like? Its savage.

Advertisement