Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving apartment what to get?

• 02-04-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭

Ok I don't have a clue about all this freesat business but I'm moving apartment in a month that has a dish attached to it. Should I get sky, freesat or wait for saorview?
    What do I need for freesat or saorview?
    Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ok I don't have a clue about all this freesat business but I'm moving apartment in a month that has a dish attached to it. Should I get sky, freesat or wait for saorview?
    What do I need for freesat or saorview?
    Any help is appreciated.

You can buy a saorview enabled tv that has a saorview reciever in it.

Or you can buy a saorview receiver that plugs into your existing tv, Saorview allows you to receive the digital signals from Rte - RTE 1/2 TV3 , TG4 RTE News 24.

Or you can get a freesat box which plugs into the existing dish this will receive free to satellite channels, there are hundreds. if the box doesnt suppoer saorview you will have no rte options on the tv, but you can still receive analogue rte while its available.

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Think I'll get the freesat box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you have a fairly new tv,check the terrestrial forum to see if it's saorview compatible,then get the freesat box and you have all the free tv you need.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Think I'll get the freesat box.

It's not a question of Saorview or Freesat.

You'll actually need both and both are subscription free once you've purchased the necessary hardware.

Saorview for Irish channels & Freesat for BBc/ITV/Ch4 etc.

Saorview will come via an analogue aerial, Freesat through satellite dish.

If you're going for Freesat, get a Freesat HD box as that will provide BBCHD, ITVHD and Ch4HD.

Alternatively, a subscription to Sky will give you Irish & British channels in one package, though you'll be funding Murdoch :(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Sagem box is good, had one myself.

Not so sure about the aerial though, think you'd want to be very close to a transmitter for it to work, you'd be best asking about it on the terrestrial forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Sagem box is good, had one myself.

Not so sure about the aerial though, think you'd want to be very close to a transmitter for it to work, you'd be best asking about it on the terrestrial forum.

Your right that aerial isn't the best, depending on your location OP it might work but an outdoor aerial is always the best option if you can fit one.

Ok cheers guys

There is a cable in the apartment hooked into the tv and there is around 20 channels working bbc1,bbc2,utv,sky 1, at the races, cartoon network etc.
    There is a chorus box stored in a drawer aswell so this must be a chorus cable?
    If i buy a freesat hd box will this cable work with it or do i have to find the satellite dish cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

What you are receiving is UPC analogue this cable will not work with the satellite receiver unless the satellite signal is being combined with the UPC signal which I think is very unlikely where is the dish attached? Is it communal?

• Advertisement

Dish is at the back of ground floor apartment, dish is not communal. There is a grey wire going from the dish into the air vent but I can't find it inside the apartment.

Advertisement