Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle ebook problems

Options
  • 02-04-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All,

I received a retirement gift of a Kindle from my Multinational Company. I have therefore no idea whether the Kindle was bought in the US or the UK. I suspect it was the US as thats where the headquarters were. I set up the amazon.com account (as anyone outside the UK has to). This should entitle me to shop and download e-books from Amazon.com

I tried 2 books - Long Walk to Freedom Nelson Mandela. Its there on amazon.com for kindle but wont let me download as its not available in Europe (but it is in the UK). Then tried Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Again its there on amazon.com but not available in Ireland specifically.

Am I being an idiot and/or is this kindle book store shopping really that ridiculous. 2 best sellers not available. Anyone with a work around ? Its so frustrating !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

You're not being an idiot at all :)

It doesn't matter where the kindle was bought - what's relevant is the address you have put in in your amazon profile.

People with Irish addresses can only buy off the .com address. If you want to buy from the .co.uk site, then see here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69586712&postcount=11

Suspect it's important you buy from a PC, and not directly from the kindle.

If you still want to know, to find out if it a UK or US kindle see below:
    Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - U.S. and Canadian Customers*: Your serial number will start with "B006"

Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - European Customers*: Your serial number will start with "B00A"

Enjoy, they are wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

juke wrote: »
    You're not being an idiot at all :)

It doesn't matter where the kindle was bought - what's relevant is the address you have put in in your amazon profile.

People with Irish addresses can only buy off the .com address. If you want to buy from the .co.uk site, then see here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69586712&postcount=11

Suspect it's important you buy from a PC, and not directly from the kindle.

If you still want to know, to find out if it a UK or US kindle see below:

Enjoy, they are wonderful!

+1. Bought one for the wife (avid book reader) for her birthday last month. She's hardly left it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle but was wondering if I want to order books do I order them from my computer (I have an account with Amazon) or can I order them from the Kindle? Also does it take long for books to be sent to the Kindle? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

You can order from the wifi kindle wherever you have wifi reception or anywhere with the 3g version.
    Books delivered almost instantly.

You can order from both - the reason I order from the computer is for ease of browsing. You can use the same account you already have, if you order from the kindle. Having wi-fi or 3G turned on all the time eats into battery life, so I only turn it on to download.

The books download in seconds regardless of how you order them - provided you have wi-fi or 3G turned on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Thanks guys. Do you pay for turning the wi fi on, on it? Can you look at other sites such as Hotmail or Facebook on it? Also how often would you have to charge or change the batteries on a Kindle?

At home, I just connect to my home wi-fi and there's no charge. Elsewhere, if there's free wi-fi available, then you connect for free - just like with a laptop.

At present you can browse other sites - but the browser is fairly basic. The most I bother with is checking e-mails.

Charging - every 2 weeks or so, provided wi-fi is turned off. It then takes 3-4 hours to do a full charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WDW1111

It depends on the publisher too.When I got my Kindle I had the same problem with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, this was because the version showing on Amazon.com bestsellers list is the American version. If you put the name of the book you want (as with the Steig Larsson books) into the search box in Amazon.com it will then show the version for Europe with the book cover you see here in Ireland. I have found this with several books, click on a link and not available to Europe shows but search the same book by name or author and you may find the version available to us.

Advertisement