Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wines on special offer - bad quality?

Options
  • 02-04-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Im not sure if its just me but anytime Ive bought a wine on special offer in supermarket or off licence they always seem to be bad quality, either corked or taste crap. Tonight Ive bought 2 bottles of the same wine in Superquinn @ €8 a bottle on special offer. Tried to open the 1st bottle and corked broke in two and second bottle got open but the cork was split. Do the shops buy in cheap wines in bulk that have a very short shelf life? The wine I got tonight we had at my sisters 21st in October and the bottles opened fine and corks were grand
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Corks breaking and corked wine are two completely different things.

Corked wine is when the cork has released a chemical called TCA which leaves a musty damp smell and taste in the wine. Floating bits of broken cork can be removed with a spoon.

Most special offers are not usually bad quality unless they're ridiculously cheap. A supermarket has no way of knowing if the wine has gone off during the time it's sitting on the shelf (unless it's been there for a few years).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

i only buy wine when its on special offer, and i've very rarely had any problems.

occasionally a cork might have broke, but having invested in a good quality cork screw that very rarely happens anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Thats really the key a top quality corkscrew.
    I had for years a waiter type and one of those discusting steel twist ones :(
    untill I was in my brothers and he got a gift of a lovely lever type ( the one with the two clamps and the lever just slides in!! )
    I tried finding one for a while and couldnt so I bought an electric one.
    Might as well have thrown it in the bin before i tried it!
    Then one day I found my corkscrew and wolla never had a problem since.
    heres the type I got
    http://thehampershop.ie/screwpull-4-piece-lever-corkscrew-set.html

Advertisement