Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soup - Butternut squash, carrot, onion, celery - what else?

Options
  • 02-04-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi,

I have the following in the fridge:

Butternut Squash
    Carrots
    Shallots
    Celery

...and I want to make a soup. What herbs/spices you suggest I use? I wont be using cream as I want to keep this low fat so will just use stock

Thanks,
    Timmy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A sprig of thyme & a bay leaf. If you have the time - roast the carrots & squash first for a deeper flavour. Enjoy!

Edit - ground coriander & cumin go very well with squash & carrots.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

I make a soup like this and it always turns out lovely, just throw in the veg you have, some salt pepper and veggie stock cubes it'll belovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

Hill Billy wrote: »
    A sprig of thyme & a bay leaf. If you have the time - roast the carrots & squash first for a deeper flavour. Enjoy!

Edit - ground coriander & cumin go very well with squash & carrots.

I like the sound of the ground coriander and cumin - I'll give that a try, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crazybaldhead

I make this regularly and roasting the veg before hand makes it much nicer. I also add butterbeans to it.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Cube up your squash, drizzle with olive oil and dust with chinese five spice, then roast @ 180 for 20 mins. The caramalisation will give an extra flavour to your soup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,497 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Have you any onion and garlic? I'd definitely add some if you have! Fry them off first until brown and then add the roasted vegetables and some stock

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Made a soup just there out of butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, onions, red lentils to bulk it up and my spices were smoked paprika, ground cumin, 2 bay leaves, a tiny pinch of habenero pepper and some black pepper to finish.

It came out lovely!

154060.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Plenty of garlic and fresh chilies and a bit of ground corriander. Swirl in a bit of yoghurt after you put it in the bowl, om nom nom. :D Also works really well with sweet potatoes instead of the squash.

Advertisement