Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Minaun, Achill on Sunday evening. This segment on Strava which took about half an hour on an MTB. Bit faster coming down, but had to keep stopping to let the brakes cool :(. Need to find out how brake with discs!

Dark and grey, but was the driest part of the day.
    309565.jpg

Cloud line just above the turn.
    309566.jpg

Visibility at the top was ~50m. Got a scare when three telecoms vans appeared out of the mist as I approached the top, the first honking his horn to warn the others I guess.
    309567.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

I did that Minuan climb a few weeks ago on a road bike. Was very hard to keep the brakes on, surface not good enough to go fast on the way down. It's so steep in places that my front wheel was lifting at times when pushing down on the pedals climbing it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/139913695

Derroura Mountain Trail today.

Ascent.
    309568.jpg

Lovely weather, lovely birdsong, splashes of colour amongst the many greens.
    309569.jpg

Boardwalks over the bog.
    309570.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

Minaun, Achill on Sunday evening. This segment on Strava which took about half an hour on an MTB. Bit faster coming down, but had to keep stopping to let the brakes cool :(. Need to find out how brake with discs!
    delynet wrote: »
    I did that Minuan climb a few weeks ago on a road bike. Was very hard to keep the brakes on, surface not good enough to go fast on the way down. It's so steep in places that my front wheel was lifting at times when pushing down on the pedals climbing it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/139913695

Nice photos. I have this on my to-do list very soon (hopefully within the next month)
    I have it built up in my mind as an absolute savage beast of a climb. I'll be doing it with a 39/25 gearing
    Tell me how brutal it is............!!!! Is it as bad as one would imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Its a tough one, I kept going over and back the road to take the worst out of it. I was with a group of 8, one did not get the top as his deraileur ended up mangled into his back wheel. He thinks it was a bad link that caused it.

One had to walk a bit as the biggest problem is trying to get started again if you stop. Road is narrow so its hard to push off and clip into cleats. I did it using a 34/25 and could have done with more gears.

Going up is not the real problem, you will make it. Massive views if the clouds clear. The problem is coming down. Make sure you have good brake pads as you will need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

delynet wrote: »
    Its a tough one, I kept going over and back the road to take the worst out of it. I was with a group of 8, one did not get the top as his deraileur ended up mangled into his back wheel. He thinks it was a bad link that caused it.

One had to walk a bit as the biggest problem is trying to get started again if you stop. Road is narrow so its hard to push off and clip into cleats. I did it using a 34/25 and could have done with more gears.

Going up is not the real problem, you will make it. Massive views if the clouds clear. The problem is coming down. Make sure you have good brake pads as you will need them.

Thanks. I can get a loan of a rear wheel with a 12-28 cassette which I now think I will use. The 28 over the 25 will give me that little bit extra. Looking forward to this now but dreading the descent!!

G1032 wrote: »
    Is it as bad as one would imagine?
    It is. I had terrible visibility so couldn't see what was in front of me. That was an advantage going up.

I had some avoidable complications - it was after 7pm when I started and light was poor due to weather. I was on my own; on a new to me MTB; the tyres were under-inflated and I'd no pump for the weekend; I had no food with me so had to keep my heart rate under a limit to avoid bonking.

I was in the next-to-lowest gear (lowest gear had the derailleur in the spokes) so going up was an effort but doable. On the way up I got increasingly concerned about how the brakes would hold up on the descent. Going up wasn't easy, but it was safe.

Very quickly on the descent the brakes worried me. It was hard work for them and they heated to the point of hissing several times. I jogged down a couple of the steeper sections to give the brakes time to cool. The descent would have been easier with better visibility, after I'd faith in the bike, it set up the way I need it to be, and after I understand disc brakes better.

Under the cloud ceiling I saw the drop to the side of the road was very steep, so maybe better visibility would have been a disadvantage. I might get a lift down if I do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

The best part of my cycle today!

10392307_10152506977444740_8260483343392613255_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

What is the paper / article ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I had some avoidable complications - it was after 7pm when I started and light was poor due to weather. I was on my own; on a new to me MTB; the tyres were under-inflated and I'd no pump for the weekend; I had no food with me so had to keep my heart rate under a limit to avoid bonking.

I was in the next-to-lowest gear (lowest gear had the derailleur in the spokes)

:eek:

But other than these minor issues, everything else was optimal ? ;)

• Advertisement

blobbie wrote: »

This one!

Some guy went for his first cycle in years and enjoyed it. I wish I could say it was the Kerryman, South Kerry edition but it was in fact "The Dominion Post"- our local rag in Wellington, NZ. (That explains the fab coffee too!)

Here it is: http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opinion/columnists/joe-bennett/10116171/Joe-Bennett-takes-a-wild-Dyers-Pass-ride

Edit: Wow! Beaten to the post by Route66!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The last bike of my life was a heavy iron beast that I bought tenth-hand on my first day at university. And on my last day at university I lifted it above my head and, in the manner of a Viking sacrificing to the gods before embarking on a raid by long ship, I hurled it into the river.
    Why would you boast about that? What is it about journalists that makes them so backwards when it comes to cycling? And you can use a generalisation there.

That guys particular angle is being a curmudgeonly old codger. That article is not directly antagonistic to cyclists though, which makes it many steps above the usual media bullsh*t spouted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

MrCreosote wrote: »
    .............(That explains the fab coffee too!)........

funny, was thinking the same thing.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Some guy went for his first cycle in years and enjoyed it. I wish I could say it was the Kerryman, South Kerry edition but it was in fact "The Dominion Post"- our local rag in Wellington, NZ. (That explains the fab coffee too!)

Here it is: http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opinion/columnists/joe-bennett/10116171/Joe-Bennett-takes-a-wild-Dyers-Pass-ride

Edit: Wow! Beaten to the post by Route66!

Google is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Garzard

Tonight's sunset over Knocklyon. Shame I didn't have a better view.

10446454_720138524699163_1265299390902966344_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

lg123 wrote: »
    funny, was thinking the same thing.

Flat white ?

I must say that for the ar$e end of the world (kidding) they do make good coffee in NZ

Flat white ?

I must say that for the ar$e end of the world (kidding) they do make good coffee in NZ

Yes indeed! This one made by a hipster barista in a bike shop, and was just perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Ermita de Betlem

IMG_6329_zps495a28d8.jpg

IMG_6338_zpsdc8e538d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Tramuntana Mountains

_DSC1339_zpsdc1e0736.jpg
    _DSC1337_zps15b23863.jpg
    _DSC1345_zps4a742cd2.jpg
    _DSC1415_zps6deb82bb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Grand Canal on the bank holiday just gone.

309954.JPG

309955.JPG
    309956.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

coolemon wrote: »

Nice photos but the Style Police will be after you for not propping the bike. It does look dead lying on the ground like that!

What stretch of the canal is that and how did you manage with road tyres?

Nice photos but the Style Police will be after you for not propping the bike. It does look dead lying on the ground like that!

What stretch of the canal is that and how did you manage with road tyres?

Couldn't find anywhere to prop the bike lol.

The photo's were taken at different points on the canal. But I cycled from Dublin and camped on the bank near Rhode/Edenderry. It was a complete disaster on many levels. I was rushing and forgot to bring a couple of things (like a spare tube!) and the grass and gravel with the road tyres was incredibly difficult to cycle on. Much of the route was hardened muck so the vibration through the handlebars left me a little numb. If it had rained, well that would have presented lots of other challenges. I had no choice but to cycle back by road.

I would recommend a hardtail mountain bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Bellewstown, looking down towards drogheda/laytown direction this morning, the best of the day!

Photo finally attached, must not try attach on phone in future! Thanks Eamo....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

padjo5 wrote: »
    Bellewstown, looking down towards drogheda/laytown direction this morning, the best of the day!

I have a lovely mental picture of this in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

coolemon wrote: »
    How do you do that second pic on thin tyres? Were you carrying the bike a lot of the time? Is a lot of the canal like that?

Thargor wrote: »
    How do you do that second pic on thin tyres? Were you carrying the bike a lot of the time? Is a lot of the canal like that?

With great difficulty!

I can only speak of it as far as Rhode, but more of the canal than expected was grass, hard muck and stone. I would say at least 60-70% of it was (or in terms of time spent.) I did not carry the bike at any point.

The second photo perhaps captures the grass higher than what it was and there would have been a trail through the high grass that cannot be seen in the photo. The thin tyres were mainly a problem with the hard muck than with the grass, although they mostly went hand in hand. The thin tyres kind of slice through the grass and I would wonder whether wider tyres or mountain bike tyres would be any better on grass. As I say, it was the hard muck that was the problem. That's not to say cycling on grass was easy it was tough going.

I had to turn around as I just wasn't prepared for the terrain along the canal. Front suspension and wider tyres I think would be a must if I attempt it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

310338.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

^ thats a great photo at the vee!

10455262_10152571855047932_1973916511485234076_n.jpg?oh=32071c16425af4d010852877b90ac570&oe=54151401&__gda__=1410290455_dbd03c1661519a4d0fcd843d53c6b51e

Advertisement