Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

SomeFool wrote: »
    ^ thats a great photo at the vee!

Thanks. The Rhodees are stunning up there at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

lismore7 wrote: »
    SomeFool wrote: »
    ^ thats a great photo at the vee!

Thanks. The Rhodees are stunning up there at this time of year.

Bike looks well, however the native flora and fauna will pay a high price as that weed gets hold in the area.

Glad you enjoyed Newcastle Mellary!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

ford2600 wrote: »
    lismore7 wrote: »

Bike looks well, however the native flora and fauna will pay a high price as that weed gets hold in the area.

Glad you enjoyed Newcastle Mellary!

North assent up Mt Mellary was very tough. But now I've tried it, it's a good fitness indicator. Will attempt it again (without a drink the night before this time). Might try it this weekend, as i'm doing the Tour de Burren 21st, cycle round north Antrim coast weekend after & then ROK....glutten for punishment..
    Saw 2 lads tonight coming from north side of MM, as i was climbing south side.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

These are from a spin in west clare on a fairly dull day recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

mamax wrote: »
    These are from a spin in west clare on a fairly dull day recently.
    the 2nd image looks incredible, on a hot day after 100-150 kms imagine having a dip to cool down, happy out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Did this early this morning. First time I've had to stop on a climb since I started cycling. Nearly killed me getting up the f*cker.

photo_zps387b43a0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I saw you on the way up!

Wished I was there suffering too, not inside a rental car working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Where is that sign - Cork or Kerry side. It doesn't look like the summit. But it's been three years since I have cycled up and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon.
    That doesn't look like the top. I drove over there at Christmas and don't recall seeing that sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Thats the top alright. I think its an amazing place.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

It's at the very top. I know, cos I usually lie out flat on the stone wall after the climb, semi-conscious.

• Advertisement

outfox wrote: »
    It's at the very top. I know, cos I usually lie out flat on the stone wall after the climb, semi-conscious.

is there a significance to 2012, or is it simply the year the sign/monument was erected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

ROK ON wrote: »
    is there a significance to 2012, or is it simply the year the sign/monument was erected?

Presumably the 400th anniversary of the big jump! That second photo is seriously good Kayaksurfbum.

Of all of the climbs in that range of mountains - from the tip of the Bearable peninsula to as far as Ballyvourney, Priests Leap while the most challenging is by far and away the ugliest climb.
    The only reason to do is simply to do it - most of the other climbs are picturesque and are worth doing anyway.

IMHO Borlin is the most stunning climb - although Significantly less challenging than the Leap.

Of all of the climbs in that range of mountains - from the tip of the Bearable peninsula to as far as Ballyvourney, Priests Leap while the most challenging is by far and away the ugliest climb.
    The only reason to do is simply to do it - most of the other climbs are picturesque and are worth doing anyway.

IMHO Borlin is the most stunning climb - although Significantly less challenging than the Leap.

Down here in Kenmare for 2 more days ROK ON. Where is this Borlin? Wouldn't mind something a bit less painful. Headed over to the priests via Caha pass so was tited enough hitting it. Priest leap was torture, slipped on some sheep **** 2/3rds the way up and lost all momentum and came to a stop. Legs were shot too. Took a lot of will power to get back on! Have done hilly routes before and manage distances over 200k recently but this climb caught me out big time!

OldBean wrote: »
    I saw you on the way up!

Wished I was there suffering too, not inside a rental car working.

I was in Swords Gear, the chap with a face on him like a 90 year old pulling a bus with nothing but his nose hair ;-)

Borlin Valley is the climb between Kilgarvan and Comhola.
    Comhola is also where the Priests Leap begins from the Cork side.
    My favourite cycle is Kenmare - Caha Pass - Glengariff - Comhola Bridge - Ballylickey (coffee at Mannings) - Comhola Bridge - Kilgarvan - Kenmare.
    Just under 80k of pure magic.

Borlin Valley is the climb between Kilgarvan and Comhola.
    Comhola is also where the Priests Leap begins from the Cork side.
    My favourite cycle is Kenmare - Caha Pass - Glengariff - Comhola Bridge - Ballylickey (coffee at Mannings) - Comhola Bridge - Kilgarvan - Kenmare.
    Just under 80k of pure magic.

Thanks that's Friday sorted so ;-)

detones wrote: »
    Thanks that's Friday sorted so ;-)

I may do it on Fri if I can get away. I you fancy some company I would aim to leave around 945 - have to drop kids to school first.

If not then enjoy. Forecast is a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Stacks Mountains this evening looking towards Killarney.
    IMG_20140611_191124.jpg

I may do it on Fri if I can get away. I you fancy some company I would aim to leave around 945 - have to drop kids to school first.

If not then enjoy. Forecast is a cracker.

Thanks mate that would be great but I tend to be on the road very early to get away with any cycling on this family holiday ;-) I have been leaving around 6.30 most days. Will be back to this part of the country again it's been a fantastic experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I was in Swords Gear, the chap with a face on him like a 90 year old pulling a bus with nothing but his nose hair ;-)

Don't worry, it was definitely yourself/your bike I saw - I've been enviously checking everyone out over the last few days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Down here in Kenmare for 2 more days ROK ON. Where is this Borlin? Wouldn't mind something a bit less painful. Headed over to the priests via Caha pass so was tited enough hitting it. Priest leap was torture, slipped on some sheep **** 2/3rds the way up and lost all momentum and came to a stop. Legs were shot too. Took a lot of will power to get back on! Have done hilly routes before and manage distances over 200k recently but this climb caught me out big time!

Done the Borlin valley climb for the first time on Saturday, it is absolutely stunning, definitely worth doing.

http://app.strava.com/activities/150571692/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Garzard

Some snaps near Glenmacnass today. Lovely dayt and managed a good distance but paid the price and got fried!

10352034_724073994305616_4689817762338067784_n.jpg

1907672_724074144305601_1737936816706614014_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The view from Kippure mast. First time cycling up the gap. Glorious ojm5gn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

View from the top of a climb in Tourmakeady today. You can see Croagh Patrick in the background (middle to middle right of photo).
    The trick on the descent was trying to avoid hitting the sheep!! Bloody dangerous when the run out ahead of you!!

20140615_143221.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Today was my first time up the Wicklow Gap in over 20 years. I decided to give Sally Gap a go too because I like to suffer.

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

The wind made a balls of what could have been a rapid descent from Sally Gap but that's the nature of the beast up the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

311027.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

crosstownk wrote: »
    Today was my first time up the Wicklow Gap in over 20 years. I decided to give Sally Gap a go too because I like to suffer.

IMG_1361.jpg

The wind made a balls of what could have been a rapid descent from Sally Gap but that's the nature of the beast up the mountains.

I noticed that last week..is it a shot gun round that has gone through the sign? :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My first time doing 50km. This was a very badly needed stop around 31km for two coffees (I was that bad) and some cake.

hLfTC0A.jpg

Advertisement