Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Genuinely thought I was in the 'Post images of ugly' thread :pac: ^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fairly miserable conditions at the Featherbeds this morning.

Featherbeds%20120315_zpsnfyv2cjk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cork bikes like.....

What kind of gears do they have? I're read somewhere about automatic changing? Can you go up Patrick's hill 100 times on one? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Last Friday's cycle to Killarney. Between the distance, the wrong turn -- on a road with no turns to take! -- the hellacious hill on the border, and the incessant headwind, was quite the struggle. First time cycling out of the county!
    IMG01962-20150306-1446.jpgIMG01965-20150306-1505.jpgIMG01974-20150306-1521.jpgIMG01994-20150306-1644.jpgIMG01999-20150306-1744.jpgIMG02007-20150306-1834.jpg

Alek wrote: »
    What kind of gears do they have? I're read somewhere about automatic changing? Can you go up Patrick's hill 100 times on one? :D

I had a look at one when I noticed they'd suddenly sprung up around the corner from my FNBS. The control is a continuous shifter with a "more and less hilly" graphic. The gears themselves are an enclosed unit, apparently with a three-speed mechanism inside. Perhaps the first sets some sort of sensitivity or threshold for the gear-shift unit. I could take a couple of snaps if it'd help anyone...

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    continuous shifter

Interesting. Continuous as in "no clicks"? Does it looks like this?

http://www.fallbrooktech.com/sites/default/files/videos/styles/800pxwide/public/adrives/howitworksinset/SHIFTER_Underdrive1_lrg.jpg?itok=Yl04xlgk

That would be quite expensive solution for city bikes (http://www.fallbrooktech.com/cycling/n360)...

Interesting. Continuous as in "no clicks"?

Yes, exactly. Was curious if the "clicks" are just kept internal to the gear unit, or if it's some actually non-linear control. Maybe there's a sensor for speed, chain tension, gradient, or some such?

It does look like they have Nuvinci shifter indeed! Cool, these hubs have very wide and stepless range of gears. Its much wider than the typical 3 speed - 360%.

0009ed43-642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Hautacam this morning. 4.5km from the top.
    341325.jpg
    how many times are planing to climb it this year?

alaimacerc wrote: »
    IMG01994-20150306-1644.jpg
    It's a long drop to the drops with that set-up! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Fair play for heading up there in today's conditions.

I know that location well. My Dad rented a bog up there and for years we spent many days cutting turf for the winter. While I often detested the turf cutting, even as a 10 or 11 year old I could appreciate the beauty of the place.

/Nostalgic ramble

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

out and about on the Equilibrium 6hka67.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Some pictures from Tuesday morning up on Featherbeds. Was an absolutely lovely morning.

IMG-20150310-WA0002_zpsynzsd1mv.jpeg

IMG-20150310-WA0000_zpsqp7cgr43.jpeg

IMG-20150310-WA0004_zpsecgyjmua.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Give me a shout next time your heading over this way! :)

It's a long drop to the drops with that set-up! :eek:

Long arms. :) Mind you, might see if it's more comfy with the bars an inch or so higher, and/or I tend to actually use the drops more. Might be better in the long run... have a distinctly numb finger after getting back from the whole escapade.

In the longer run, going up a frame size or two is likely the solution. Cashflow currently argues against that, though.

It does look like they have Nuvinci shifter indeed! Cool, these hubs have very wide and stepless range of gears. Its much wider than the typical 3 speed - 360%.

Good spot, that's indeed exactly what it is. I think the 3-speed comparison I quoted earlier is misleading, based on a vague similarity with the old S-A type of unit. Not that I remotely understand the technicalities.

Here's a couple of closeups from a unit in St. Patrick's Street:
    IMG02239-20150312-1807.jpgIMG02240-20150312-1807.jpgIMG02241-20150312-1808.jpgIMG02242-20150312-1808.jpg

crosstownk wrote: »
    .. My Dad rented a bog up there and for years we spent many days cutting turf for the winter. While I often detested the turf cutting, even as a 10 or 11 year old..
    The cutting was the more glamorous bit which was usually done by adults. It was the incessant turning and footing which I hated. At least when it came to bagging it you knew the end was near. And then you could have a bad year and all the hard work was lost, (1981/1982?)

But the worst part was the bloody midges - I could never cope with them. My brother used to tell me to ignore them. How the fcuk can you ignore midges? They used to drive me insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Sister in law moved to Bunbeg in Donegal. My other half wanted to go up turning turf one day last year. Those bloody midges drove me crazy in less than a minute. They ate half my forehead off, you just can't ingore them.

The other half does love the smell of a turf fire. Only problem is the bikes are now competing for space in the shed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Puggy wrote: »
    Sister in law moved to Bunbeg in Donegal. My other half wanted to go up turning turf one day last year. Those bloody midges drove me crazy in less than a minute. They ate half my forehead off, you just can't ingore them.

The other half does love the smell of a turf fire. Only problem is the bikes are now competing for space in the shed.

The only solution is a hand rolled cigarette permanently between your teeth. Every time the midges gather you relight it and drive them off. Old Holburn tabacco is probably best.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Bloggsie wrote: »
    how many times are planing to climb it this year?

Just the once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Garzard

Nothing unique, just a short 6pm spin to the Featherbeds. Couldn't help stopping to admire the view and the general peaceful atmosphere of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

My baby has a playmate again, cycling buddy is back on 2 wheels again and we introduced them to each other at my usual rest spot at Connollys Folly!
    20150314_1812241_zpswza50nga.jpg
    20150314_1813001_zpsmluin0lp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Hole in the road at Glencree.

It's grand though Wicklow co co stuck a few signs up and may get around to fixing it in the next 10 years or so.

Gap of Dunloe last Sunday. Lots and lots of stopping and wheezing, especially as I was taking it mightily handy given the other days of cycling, past and to come. Lots and lots of phone-cam snaps linked that I'll spare you all here, not least due to a nasty case of sweaty lens syndrome.

GEDC4286.JPG

GEDC4287.JPG

GEDC4289.JPG

GEDC4290.JPG

GEDC4291.JPG

GEDC4292.JPG

GEDC4293.JPG

GEDC4294.JPG

GEDC4295.JPG

GEDC4296.JPG

GEDC4297.JPG

And some more, since the nasty board won't let me spam the thread with 20 images all at once!

GEDC4298.JPG

GEDC4299.JPG

GEDC4301.JPG

GEDC4302.JPG

GEDC4303.JPG

IMG02149-20150308-1614-PANO.jpg

IMG02191-20150308-1723-PANO.jpg

GEDC4304.JPG

GEDC4310.JPG

gssg.jpg

Sally Gap today, gunshot holes in a sign

Sally Gap today, gunshot holes in a sign

At the Top of the Gap of Dunloe, a local(ish) told me there used to be a sign there, but it was filled with pot shots. Must be something about Gaps that induces gun nuttery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

[QUOTE=Alek;

Sally Gap today, gunshot holes in a sign[/QUOTE]

Great photograph. Well spotted.

Brian? wrote: »
    The only solution is a hand rolled cigarette permanently between your teeth. Every time the midges gather you relight it and drive them off. Old Holburn tabacco is probably best.
    And this advice from the Mod of Health and Fitness! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

A couple of shots from Saturday-
    Ballinascorney, Sally Gap

2e3wyna.jpg

fmqt1z.jpg

29nuv4o.jpg

Advertisement